PDA

View Full Version : Is this the same bat?

Shoeless Moe
08-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Seller bought this in July:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180683342367

Selling this now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110725044981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm not saying the seller added the J Jackson, but did they?

They also bought a Honus Wagner bat in July and are selling a Honus Wagner bat in August, seems like an odd coincidence.

MGHPro
08-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I'd say it's the same bat. I spoke with the seller and I asked him if he thought the J Jackson was original or added later, and he said he thought it was later. Good detective work
Matt

Mark
08-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Is anyone familiar with another bat that has 40JJ (or 40 with any other initials) within the label that does not also have either a signiture or a decal on the barrel? If the block letters were added later, what was on the barrel to begin with? If there was no signiture, was there a decal that become entirely worn off? If so, that might be pretty valuable in its own right.

Shoeless Moe
08-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd say it's the same bat. I spoke with the seller and I asked him if he thought the J Jackson was original or added later, and he said he thought it was later. Good detective work
Matt

Matt, I think this seller, 123yrunvs, is crooked. If it's the same bat, which I too think it is, the seller switched the tape on the bat, and I'd bet he was the one who added the name. I posted about this seller in the past, not sure what it was, I'd have to go thru my posts, but something didn't smell right back then, and I'm sensing it here too.

Also, from his selling history he's sold like 12 vintage Ruth bats, is it possible for one person to have so many?

My spidey senses are tingling.

MGHPro
08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
The bat would have had a decal that is worn off. I don't think the tape was switched, it's just the difference in photo quality. Both look evenly spaced.
Yes, a few people are crazy enough to own 12 Ruth bats.
Matt

Shoeless Moe
08-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Looks like black tape in the 1st one and white in his. I'm not saying all his bats are bad, I'm sure most are fine, but something may be up. I contacted the original seller to take a look and let me know if that is his bat 123 is re-sellling and if there was a J Jackson on it. If so and if not, we have a crook.

Any chance he could be buying old bats with say no 40BR and no players name on it and somehow adding it?

I know its a stretch but Quincy was my favorite show growing up, if only Sam Fujiyama was a Net54 member.

MGHPro
08-14-2011, 09:23 PM
If you look at his past auctions, he sold a 1960's Cobb college bat that looks like the college name was removed and reg us pat was added. He also sold a spalding indoor bat with ty cobb stamped on it which seems very unusual. He's also sold the frisch bat a couple times so I'd say somethings up with seller.
I did buy a Ruth bat from him not too long ago, It took awhile to get it, but it did show up as described.

Shoeless Moe
08-14-2011, 09:29 PM
my guess is he removed the tape, because he added the J Jackson, then polishes up the bat, cuz the coloring is slightly off from the 1st one, but the markings are identical especially at the end of the barrel. Then adds back some other tape and makes it looks old, but he needs to remove the tape b4 polishing, other wise the bat is 2 different colors, after his polish.

And what u found. Now tomorrow or later in the week I'll go thru my old posts cuz I'm sure I noticed something about this seller in the past.

Mark
08-14-2011, 10:05 PM
my guess is he removed the tape, because he added the J Jackson, then polishes up the bat, cuz the coloring is slightly off from the 1st one, but the markings are identical especially at the end of the barrel. Then adds back some other tape and makes it looks old, but he needs to remove the tape b4 polishing, other wise the bat is 2 different colors, after his polish.

And what u found. Now tomorrow or later in the week I'll go thru my old posts cuz I'm sure I noticed something about this seller in the past.

A few years ago, there was one seller in particular whom we caught buying blank 125 bats on eBay and reselling them on eBay after he'd added the names of players like Ruth and Jackson to the barrels. He might have added side writing. The guy got suspended, at least for a while. He called himself "bluechip" something or other.

Shoeless Moe
08-14-2011, 10:15 PM
A few years ago, there was one seller in particular whom we caught buying blank 125 bats on eBay and reselling them on eBay after he'd added the names of players like Ruth and Jackson to the barrels. The guy got suspended, at least for a while. He called himself "bluechip" something or other.

from New Jersey by any chance do u recall?

very interesting

yanks12025
08-15-2011, 05:27 AM
I feel bad for Dave Bushing who bought the bat I believe. Cause it most likely was a decal it would only be worth under $1,000 Right???

Mark
08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
I feel bad for Dave Bushing who bought the bat I believe. Cause it most likely was a decal it would only be worth under $1,000 Right???

As I understand it, there is ample evidence that major leaguers used decal bats. If a 40JJ decal bat matched Jackson's known preferences for weight and length, and if the knob looks right, then a case could be made that such a decal bat was a professional model and worth more than 2 or 3 thousand bucks. I am curious to learn how this bat will be evaluated.

MGHPro
08-15-2011, 06:36 AM
As I understand it, there is ample evidence that major leaguers used decal bats. If a 40JJ decal bat matched Jackson's known preferences for weight and length, and if the knob looks right, then a case could be made that such a decal bat was a professional model and worth more than 2 or 3 thousand bucks. I am curious to learn how this bat will be evaluated.

Mark- You have your information mixed up. Decal bats with 40JJ, 40 TC etc, even though 99% of them are hand turned, are just store model bats. They weren't used by the player themselves. The argument is for the earlier hillerich and son's that said Made By in the center logo.

The bat is not a pro model by any stretch of the imagination.

A 40jj without a decal is a few hundred bucks at best.
Matt

Mark
08-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Mark- You have your information mixed up. Decal bats with 40JJ, 40 TC etc, even though 99% of them are hand turned, are just store model bats. They weren't used by the player themselves. The argument is for the earlier hillerich and son's that said Made By in the center logo.

The bat is not a pro model by any stretch of the imagination.

A 40jj without a decal is a few hundred bucks at best.
Matt

Yes, you are, of course, right. So what is it about the bat that makes it worth 2 grand?

MGHPro
08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
People probably thought they were bidding on a unique bat. If the bat was legit, it would be an extremely rare variation of a Joe Jackson bat. In the right setting it would probably sell closer to 4k.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the bat. If the buyer goes through with the deal, if it gets returned or if it shows up in an auction
Matt

yanks12025
08-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Yea, cause I used to own a professional model decal bat of Nap Lajoie but it dated from 1905 and had "Made By" instead of 40 L..

I'm guessing Dave will return it after realizing if it is indeed Dave Bushing. Has anyone sent him an email or do they keep these treads.

khkco4bls
08-15-2011, 08:46 PM
no doubt the same bat. look at the grain patterns under the J.J. there the same. crooked seller if you ask me.

Shoeless Moe
10-15-2011, 09:30 PM
123yrunvs is back as ebay seller needtopayforwedding (both from NJ)

Be very wary of any bats from this "new" version of this seller

bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230679811866

reselling as:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-OLD-BASEBALL-BAT-/280754797791?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item415e4a3cdf

Shoeless Moe
10-16-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-OLD-BASEBALL-BAT-BABE-RUTH-/280754805558?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item415e4a5b36

"I DO NOT KNOW IF IT WAS SIGNED BY BABE RUTH'S HAND OR SOME CHILD."

Shoeless Moe
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-OLD-1910-JOE-JACKSON-BASEBALL-BAT-/110773865246?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item19caa30b1e