PDA

View Full Version : What is Joe Jackson's Rookie Card?

glchen
08-12-2011, 04:53 PM
In the Sept 2011 SMR (same one given out at National), there is an article on Joe Jackson. There is some discussion on a c.1908 Greenville Boy postcard that some claim to be his rookie card. I saw a similar thread on this here at:

Link (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=88644)

In that thread, it seemed like the card was also sold at a Mastro auction, so I tried to find the listing in the Legendary Auction archive, but could not. Instead I found a listing for a 1908 Philadelphia Athletics team postcard with Joe Jax here:

Link (http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=2755)

Since Joe isn't in the Hall of Fame, he's not a part of the Old Cardboard reference. Is there a consensus on what is Jackson's rookie card or earliest known collectible? Thanks!

Bicem
08-12-2011, 05:03 PM
here's the postcard link...

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=60885

Cardboard Junkie
08-12-2011, 07:56 PM
uhhh....I thinks its a T206 horizontal with a ty cobb back (slabbed and authenticated by TPG gem mint 10)..................seriously though I don't know but the same question has occured to me......maybe one of our resident experts will chime in! dave

bcbgcbrcb
08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
There has been a lot of debate about the origin of that postcard. If it were legitimate, it would fall under the pre-rookie umbrella as it pictures Joe in his minor league uniform. The E90-1 would be his true rookie card either way.

Bicem
08-12-2011, 08:41 PM
what is a true rookie card? ;)

glchen
08-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Isn't the Philadelphia Athletics team card earlier? Or is it disqualified b/c it's a team picture?

ls7plus
08-13-2011, 04:35 AM
From the '20's and earlier, the proliferation of sets seems to lend itself to grouping of earliest cards of various stars and HOF'ers, rather than a single, undisputed rookie card. See, for example, some of the previous discussions on this site re the Grove, Foxx and Cobb rookies. Will we ever really know, for example, whether Foxx's 1926-1929 Exhibits Postcard Back came before his 1929 Kashin? Or whether the W560 was actually issued in 1927, which seems unlikely, given Foxx's limited achievements to that date, or several years later, which seems to me far more likely, since 1928 and 1929 were his first years of any real significance? To me, a player's "rookie" card carries with it the somewhat romantic notion of the player in question being on the threshhold of a great dream, filled with the seemingly unlimited vitality of youth to carry him through a series of great adventures. Collectors share in the player's magical youth vicariously, and through its magnetism, it becomes, to an extent, their own through that process. After all, would you rather hold a '52 Topps Mantle (yes, I know its not his rookie!) in your hand, marveling in the feats you know he was to go on to accomplish and perhaps trying to capture a bit of that golden youth for yourself, or his last '69 Topps card, even a white letter variation, where its evident he's old and worn out, with his greatness long since having departed from the scene? But I digress.

My point is that each of several cards may quite likely achieve similar recognition as "rookie-era" cards, and which one actually came first becomes more academic than of any real concern, based on their equal ability to impart the feelings discussed above.

I don't think we lose anything by recognizing that a number of cards qualify as the player's earliest, with it sometimes being well-nigh impossible to ascertain exactly which is his earliest. They all impart that same romantic fascination as does a single rookie card, where only one exists of the player.

Just my 50 cents worth, and if the above doesn't make much sense, its because I'm writing it in the wee hours of the morning, plagued with insomnia.

You guys should know by now that either way, your feedback is appreciated.

May your collecting be filled with wonder, and may you never tire of the treasures you obtain!

Larry

bcbgcbrcb
08-13-2011, 06:22 AM
I don't count team photos as rookie cards.

christopher.herman
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Found this:
http://www.gemmintauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=10&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1&seo=1909-E90-1-Joe-Jackson-PSA-1-PR