PDA

View Full Version : Ruth Autographed Baseball Help!!

pow323
08-12-2011, 10:40 AM
This ball is on Craigslist in my area. The person says that it has a Letter of Authenticity from PSA/DNA. The Auto. is on a Gopher Baseball. What do you all think about the Autograph and the type of ball? Thanks for your help Guys!! Have a Good Weekend!!

canjond
08-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Dont ever buy off of Craigs List. Even with a PSA/DNA cert, it may be a scam / robbery ploy.

Big Dave
08-12-2011, 11:01 AM
There is nothing wrong with buying off of Craig's List, as I have done it many times.

Get the COA cert number and verify online first, then meet the seller in person at a public place. Just know what you are looking at before you go.

Look for the watermark on the COA, the sticker on the ball or the letter, and ask to copy the seller's driver's license information. Also get a signed bill of sale with seller's info on it.

The autograph shown looks authentic.

IUCOLT
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
That same ball was just on ebay and was pulled about 4 hours from when it was suppose to end. The bidding was a little over 8K when the listing ended early. The seller may have took a deal outside of ebay. The ball was located in florida and everything seemed legit.

canjond
08-12-2011, 11:27 AM
If I had a $10k ball to sell, why would I sell it through a forum like Craigslist that is fraught with scams? Makes no sense to me.

thetruthisoutthere
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
If I had a $10k ball to sell, why would I sell it through a forum like Craigslist that is fraught with scams? Makes no sense to me.

I was thinking the same thing, Jon, but maybe the seller wants cash and is willing to take less for a cash transaction.

Personally, I don't go near Craigslist.

drc
08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
One quick note is that JSA and PSA/DNA LOAs have the company watermarks in the paper. Hold it up to the light. Copies and I assume most to all LOA forgeries would not.

Added note: This includes for those auction LOAs. Always easy to tell if you have the original or a copy.

pow323
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks to all who responed about this Ruth Ball. All you guys are GREAT!! :)

IUCOLT
08-13-2011, 07:41 AM
What did you decide or find out?

pow323
08-13-2011, 09:06 AM
I have not really done anything yet. I was going to find out how much he wanted for it. Is anyone out there interested in this Ball ? Let me know what you think. Marc

RichardSimon
08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Craigslist is a goldmine for every scammer in the country.
It is a treacherous minefield.
If I were you I would just walk away.
People have been killed due to craigslist scams.

pow323
08-20-2011, 02:11 PM
I just talked with the person that has the Babe Ruth Autographed Baseball. He has had the ball so he says since 2001. He gave me the Cert. Number from PSA/DNA. The number is B28435. Is there anyone that could help me with this number? and also what would be a good offer for the ball? Do you think the Ball is ok? He also said that the ball was a game used ball. It was used in a exhibition game from the early 1940`s. Please let me know if anyone could help me with this? Thanks, Marc

thecatspajamas
08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
You can look up the cert. here:

http://www.psacard.com/verification/verify.chtml

Also, if you do a google search for that cert. number and "babe ruth" you get the following cached webpage:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:pPU4d3xENv0J:fast-autos.net/diecast-cars-models/AUTHENTIC-BABE-RUTH-AUTOGRAPHED-BASEBALL-COA-PSA-DNA_180704359856.html+%22B28435%22+babe+ruth&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

The eBay listing is no longer viewable, but this page which re-presented the eBay content on its own site is still there (clicking on Buy It Now takes you to the defunct eBay page). Unfortunately none of the photos are viewable, so I can't be sure if it's the same ball, or just the same cert. number.

I like how the seller refers to him as "The Big Gambino" :rolleyes:

pow323
08-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Lance, Thanks for the Info. Can anyone tell me if you think the autograph is real? Also is anyone interested in this at all? If so I can put you intouch with the person that has it. Or can someone give me a good offer price to offer for the ball? Thanks again Guys! Marc

cdonne
08-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I was recently contacted by someone who claims to now own this same ball...he's had it about 6 months.

And, I don't believe it is the same person who you have been talking with Marc...unless he is going under two different names :)

With that said, I've handled a lot of Ruth's and feel pretty good about identifying his auto - this one just looks a little off to me. Perhaps David or Richard might chime in here as well...

cdonne
08-20-2011, 09:53 PM
interesting...

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/aug/19/2/police-pasco-man-sold-fake-babe-ruth-autographed-b-ar-251553/