PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of seeing these?

t206hound
08-12-2011, 07:44 AM
These auctions make me cringe; you just know that the person who buys this "art" is going to try to resell as authentic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/120762745244

esd10
08-12-2011, 08:26 AM
buy and say it was found in my grandfather/grandmothers attic

Jason
08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
It seems everytime I do a search on the bay I see another one of these crappy reprints.No doubt some will be sold off as authentic.Is there really a legitimate market for these?Meaning collectors who want these in there collection?Jason

Chris Counts
08-12-2011, 10:05 AM
I wonder if this is the same guy who was trying sell aged reprints here. He inspired a lively thread, tried to defend his actions, was blasted by many and thankfully went away. To me, selling aged reprints is fraud ...

D. Bergin
08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, these are awful.

I actually like the throwback sets with original art, like what Helmar makes.

These are just dastardly to me. Reprints should clearly differentiate themselves from the real thing, and should clearly be stated as reprints on the back. These are meant to be deceitful.

Also, they are selling modern reprints to. Wonder how Topps would feel about that.

cwazzy
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
It seems everytime I do a search on the bay I see another one of these crappy reprints.No doubt some will be sold off as authentic.Is there really a legitimate market for these?Meaning collectors who want these in there collection?Jason

I know I'm in the minority but I actually need a realistic looking T206 O'Hara St. Louis variation for my Cardinal set. I will most likely never be able to afford the real thing so in this instance a realistic reprint will finish off my display nicely. I have no intention of EVER selling the cards but if I did I would obviously disclose the fact that it was a reprint.

I think reprints can make nice looking displays. But I do understand the concern they generate.

Doug
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
The 1952 Topps Mays and Mantle he's selling actually do have the word "replica" in tiny letters on the back, but I still get tired of seeing these things crop up. I won't ever be able to afford a real T206 Wagner unless I win the lottery, but I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of owning a realistic looking counterfeit either. If reprints of any kind never existed it would be fine by me. There are enough altered real cards out there as it is. :mad:

hunterdutchess
08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I wonder if this is the same guy who was trying sell aged reprints here. He inspired a lively thread, tried to defend his actions, was blasted by many and thankfully went away. To me, selling aged reprints is fraud ...

No that is a different seller, his name was rarerookies and this is his account: http://shop.ebay.com/rarerookies61/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=200

peterose4hof
08-16-2011, 02:47 PM
I add -(rp, reprint) to my search query and it eliminates the vast majority of these listings.