PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Post Estrada & Stobbs

Gr8Beldini
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Can anyone explain the high prices assigned to these 2 cards? I understand that they are offered as "company only" versions but my question: Since these 2 cards appear on the 10 card company sheet, aren't they just as scarce as the other 9 cards included with that sheet? If anyone can offer any insight I'd appreciate.

Also, I heard that there are book cataloging the 61-63 Post cereal cards - I'd like to know where I can info about those (variations, pricing, scarcity, pictures etc). Thank you in advance... JB

ALR-bishop
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
These cards are check listed in the SCD Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards at pages 289 to 293 in the 2011 edition. I think the 2012 edition can now be pre ordered. For 1961 it lists the 200 players depicted and the variations of each ( total 350) associated with box panels, company sheets and singles. There is also separate checklist for the 16 team company sheets produced on thinner stock cardboard.

I don't follow these and do not know why the value difference you note exists, but the listings indicate some cards could only be found on the mail in sheets and some only on the box panels, and some appear with the wrong team ( apparently due to different printing times for the different formats)

Gr8Beldini
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I still haven't ever gotten a legitimate answer to this question. Anyone know why these 2 cards are so much more expensive than any other company cards from their respective team sets?

Volod
10-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I still haven't ever gotten a legitimate answer to this question. Anyone know why these 2 cards are so much more expensive than any other company cards from their respective team sets?

I found some slightly confusing info in a brief web search. According to the standard checklist, there are only three cards that were found only on the company sheets: Turley, Estrada and Matthews. However, the article at the link below claims that Stobbs was also only on a company sheet, and that Estrada and Stobbs are the two most commonly known "scarcities." So, maybe it's all just based on anecdotal evidence and the pricing on that.:confused:
http://www.psacard.com/articles/article_view.chtml?artid=4809&universeid=314

hoot-owl
10-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Stobbs and Estrada were, in fact, only issued on the company sheets. You had to send away for these cards so there are fewer of them available for that reason alone--and the Twins and the Orioles were relatively small market teams (and the Twins had just moved from WDC). Because of that I presume fewer company sets were ordered for these two teams. The rest of the players on the O's and Twins sheets were all available on the back of boxes--so these two players were harder to obtain and in shorter supply than any other Company only cards.

There are two other company cards Bob Turley of the Yankees and Eddie Mathews of the Milwaukee Braves. In my experience it has been easier to find a number of the Yankees Company version cards rather than there Box version counterpart. New Yorkers must have sent away for thousands of the team sheets, and the Braves were incredibly popular in Milwaukee. The team was fresh off a few World Series in the late 1950s and had a number of established stars--Hank, Eddie and Warren to name a few.