PDA

View Full Version : Found Holy Grail of LSU Bowl Programs

theantiquetiger
08-08-2011, 04:57 PM
The Bacardi Bowl program of 1908 is rarer, but as far as modern day Bowls, the 47 Cotton Bowl program is the rarest because of the low number of fans that shown due to the below zero temperatures and the programs that were sold, many went into the fire barrels to help keep warm.

I had never seen one, and finally got a complete one in today

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/theantiquetiger/ad89bf3f.jpg

whiteymet
08-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Congrats! Now find me a Hartland LSU Lineman! Remember, I have a LSU Running back to trade for it!

Jay Wolt
08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
That's pretty cool, congrats on the pickup.
Do you collect every program that LSU played or just Bowl games?

theantiquetiger
08-09-2011, 01:02 PM
That's pretty cool, congrats on the pickup.
Do you collect every program that LSU played or just Bowl games?

I have many LSU programs, but I try to stick to the important games, 58 NC year Sugar Bowl, 1952 final four, 1949 boxing NC team, etc. I've thought about collecting all the bowl games, and may really consider it now since I have the rarest. There are three Sugar Bowl programs from the 30's that I don't have, but are easy to get, they are for sale all the time. I've owned one at one time but sold it to pay for something else. These three programs range from $300-$1200 each.

The Bacardi Bowl of 1908, played in Cuba, does have a program, about 15 are known to exsist, sell for $3000+ when it comes up for sale.

Hot Springs Bathers
08-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Congrats on the 1947 Cotton Bowl program.

I would have to quickly disagree with value on it though. This was the fourth or fifth offered this year on eBay and the others in near mint shape went for around $100.00 each.

I track Arkansas programs and do try to collect every single one including all the other Arkansas colleges. This game was played in brutal weather but many unsold programs that were kept by the bowl committee have found their way into the hobby.

Other than the pre-war Cotton Bowl programs not too many are tough to find. Of the "big four" bowls only the Orange Bowl programs have some tough post war years.

Nice pick up though, LSU doubled or tripled Arkansas in every offensive stat but just couldn't score.

ksfarmboy
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Congrats on the program and good luck finding the 1908 to go with it.

bbcard1
08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Congrats. The Marshall/Catawba 1948 Tangerine Bowl program is one I think will stay on my list for a pretty long time.

theantiquetiger
08-11-2011, 03:43 AM
I would have to quickly disagree with value on it though. This was the fourth or fifth offered this year on eBay and the others in near mint shape went for around $100.00 each.

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but this is the first one I ever seen on eBay in 10 years and ask many members of my forum, it is VERY rare (you maybe thinking 63 Cotton Bowl, they go for around $100-$150 in OK condition).

There is not a pre-1970 mint LSU bowl program that sells for less than $200 on eBay (maybe the 68 Sugar Bowl)

The sports museum at LSU doesn't even have one.

Within two days of buying this for $400, I have had two offers of $800. If you have one mint, I would give you $800 for it right now and sell it for double.

I have never even seen one before now. I didn't even know what the cover looked like.

I have a board full of nothing but LSU collectors, not a single one of us had one until now (and one member has two 1908 Bowl programs)

Funny story on the purchase. It was listed a week ago Sunday. I did not see it until Wednesday night. I set my snipe at $625. Thursday afternoon, I check to see if anyone bid on it,and the guy added a BIN for $400 that day for no reason.

He calls me the next day to tell me he screwed up because he was contacted by several people, offering more than it sold for. He said he was honoring the sale and said he has email contacts of the guys who offered more.

I asked him why he added the BIN. He said it had no bids. He did tell me that it had 22 watchers on it. He had two other LSU regular game programs from that year and they had bids on them. They sold for $90 and $75

Hot Springs Bathers
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I purchased mine on eBay around three years ago for $35.00 from a fellow Arkansan.

I have seen them steadily increase over the years but also a number of pristine copies have popped up.

I keep a log of what Arkansas college related programs are listed on eBay and keep a photo log of all the covers I do not win. It helps me know what is out there and what they are going for. The last '47 Cotton Bowl listed and sold was in May for $127.50.

I don't know what you have been using as you search titles but they have been out there. I will gladly sell mine when/if I pick up a duplicate.

LSU, Alabama and Texas A&M collectors in particular are ardent searchers and buyers. Texas Longhorn collectors seem to just focus on their winning seasons (of which there are many.) This may hold true on collectors in other areas and for other schools out of this region, I just don't track them. When I have bid on Arkansas programs I have to always keep this in mind. You also get that tough cross-over on those A&M programs from the '50s when Bear Bryant was there, you are facing both Bama and A&M competition. I would assume the same holds true for earlier Kentucky and Maryland programs with the Bear?

I should also mention that there seems to be a new surge in the last couple of years in Ole Miss collectors with the Archie years being very popular.

I crosss all of these schools chasing Arkansas programs and of course the Hogs played LSU and Ole Miss long before their SEC days, sadly they just didn't win too often.

theantiquetiger
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Hot Springs Bather,

You have your programs mixed up. I can understand that, Arky has been to alot more Cotton Bowls than LSU (LSU only went to three before 2000).

I invite you to my board to discuss it with more LSU collectors. We dont bite, but keep your hands away from Mike the Tiger's cage, he might bite!!! :D

http://theantiquetiger.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=1559

Hot Springs Bathers
08-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Antique Tiger-

I'll gladly look in on your board. I don't think there can be much confusion on the programs. I did not reference any other LSU Cotton Bowl programs other than the 1947 game.

The 1966 program pops up consistenly. I did reference the fact that LSU & Arkansas played many times in the past including 37 times before Arkansas joined the SEC. The 1947 & 1966 Cotton Bowls were their two post-season games. Many of the earlier games were played in Shreveport. No confusion there.

slidekellyslide
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Congrats on your pickup...I used to collect Nebraska Football programs..the 1962 Gotham Bowl program is nearly impossible...only 5,000 in attendance at Yankee Stadium.

theantiquetiger
08-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Hot Springs Bather,

You are very correct in how schools vary in the demand for vintage items. A couple months ago, I bought a collection of Sugar Bowl pennants from the 40's and 50's. I paid $25-$50 each and the schools included Tenn, WV, UNC, Navy, Oklahoma, Kentuckey, Maryland, Clemson.

These pennants were from the same era, and the prices I sold them for ranged from WV (cannot sell for $30) to Tenn (sold for $250).

I have bought and sold many things on eBay to fund my collection and I've noticed Texas, LSU, ND, USC, Mich, and a few other schools bring big money.

I remember one time I found a 1960's calendar of Wisc with Bucky on it. It was mint, still in the package. It was a wooden calendar that you could use over and over (the dates slide in slots). It sold for $10.

If it was LSU or some other school, it would have easily gone for $100+.

egbeachley
08-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I had always thought the first college Bowl game outside the US was the 1937 Bacardi Bowl between Auburn and Villanova. Turns out that was the first one between 2 college teams. The 1907 game was the first, but LSU played a Cuban team. Not really a bowl game I guess...more like an exhibition game.

theantiquetiger
08-13-2011, 06:21 PM
I had always thought the first college Bowl game outside the US was the 1937 Bacardi Bowl between Auburn and Villanova. Turns out that was the first one between 2 college teams. The 1907 game was the first, but LSU played a Cuban team. Not really a bowl game I guess...more like an exhibition game.

Not sure about the 1937 game, and the 1907 game was not called a bowl when it was played, but historians are basically calling it a bowl game because it is after regular season. Up until the 60's, all bowl games were pretty much exhibition games, because the national champions were crowned after the regular season (before the bowl games were played).

Even the first Rose Bowl was not even called the Rose Bowl. It was not titled that until the second Rose Bowl, nearly 20 years later (but it is considered the first Rose Bowl).

herkyhawkeye
08-13-2011, 11:58 PM
There is a very wide range of values.My most desireable focus is on bigten memorabilia, Specifically the alma mater, Iowa. Unfortunately for me, Iowa may be one of the most sought after teams. If its iowa, old, and cool, your wallet is going to take a hit. :(

Is there much SEC stuff out there? I never see it up North so its hard to gauge.

theantiquetiger
08-14-2011, 05:22 PM
There is a very wide range of values.My most desireable focus is on bigten memorabilia, Specifically the alma mater, Iowa. Unfortunately for me, Iowa may be one of the most sought after teams. If its iowa, old, and cool, your wallet is going to take a hit. :(

Is there much SEC stuff out there? I never see it up North so its hard to gauge.

There are quite a few schools that have a large number of collectors, many in the SEC. I know LSU stuff brings some high dollars on many items. I don't think I've come across any Iowa items down here. It's good to know that it does bring good money because I am always hitting garage and estate sales.

herkyhawkeye
08-14-2011, 10:53 PM
What to look out for in terms of Iowa are the homecoming badges. That is what commands some big money for Iowa. Have a very large collector base.

I would love to see what college football relics we could dig up on this site.

I've been looking to figure out where to get some info on this piece. Anyone ever dealt with pre WW2 College Football trophies?

I picked this item up last August. A trophy presented to University of Wisconsin Player Guy Sundt. Presented to "The most useful man" 1921. Was 1st team All Big Ten in 1921 and HM All American. Later went on to be the AD at Wisconsin. He was the team mvp in 1921 and I think this might have been what was awarded to him. Having a hard time trying to find anything comparable for any college.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/cadecool/Snapshot_20100927_25.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c229/cadecool/Snapshot_20100927_3.jpg

theantiquetiger
08-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Hot Springs Bather,

I'm testing our different theories on the value of the program. I need some major money for two holy grails that dropped into my lap today.

I figured sell this since I just got it in and not attached to it yet.:)

theantiquetiger ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250875208316&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT)

Hot Springs Bathers
08-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow! I can tell by your past posts how much you love the Tigers, there must be something REALLY good out there for you to give it up!

Good luck and let us know what treasures you have found. I am guessing a helmet from the Chinese Bandits era?

Good luck!

theantiquetiger
08-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Good luck and let us know what treasures you have found. I am guessing a helmet from the Chinese Bandits era?

I wish, but it is something close to that and about the same rarity (same team). That is the lesser of the two items I am getting, the other is close to one of a kind and very historically important!!!!!!

Hot Springs Bathers
08-15-2011, 08:33 PM
Go get it! I picked up a 1960 Dallas Cowboys media guide at a great price today and it may be my final purchase for the week!

I also mailed my daughter's tuition, fees and room & board check for college today as well as her sorority dues and her honor sorority dues. Whew! Sometimes I wish I drank. Heck we may be eating a lot of sandwiches for the next few weeks.

theantiquetiger
08-16-2011, 10:02 AM
It sold, $725 (off ebay, don't tell them :) )

Hot Springs Bathers
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Way to go! Now go after the next holy grail!

theantiquetiger
08-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Way to go! Now go after the next holy grail!

Hopefully, I will pick them up today!!!!

Rich Klein
08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Is a perfect excuse to return to drink :)

Riich

Hot Springs Bathers
08-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Rich- I'll buy you the drink of your choice next St. Paddy's day at the parade which should coincide with the SABR "Boiling Out" and the launch of the new Hot Springs Baseball Trail!

By the way I think Bo Derek is returning next year, actually for the parade but we can always claim it is for the SABR event!

Rich Klein
08-17-2011, 02:55 PM
While the conversation between Mike and myself was a bit of inside communciation; the SABR Deadball committee (1901-1920) has every other year meetings in Hot Springs in March.

Great times, and I recommend them hearlity

Rich