PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Clarence Mengler Baseball's Best

FireGardy
08-08-2011, 10:37 AM
I figure I'll post about these too as long as I'm in the "M" section of my Standard Catalog. Has anyone put together a full set of these or at least possess the Ralph Garr error? I have a handful of these but am always looking for more Carews. One note for anyone looking for their player: I found that some of my cards have a copyright line stamped on the back in either red or black and have received confirmation that the 1st two series can be found with either the stamp or blank on the back. Here's one of mine with the stamp:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj76/lewford20/Bert%20Blyleven/menglers.jpg

David W
08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I just got the Lou Brock one on ebay a few months back, the return address was Mr. Mengler, so he apparently has a jillion left from 35 years ago, or he let the presses run again.

he also threw in a few extras, some had the stamp on the back some did not.

chicagosportsmiley is the ebay id

FireGardy
08-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Mr. Mengler sent me a Twins set which is how I got my Carew. I've bought Menglers from him several times now. He is also the source of pretty much all of my info on the set. He told me when I first contacted him that he had used his cards as scratch paper for years. He indicated that few sets had been sold before he had to shut down, so if you even supposed that he had half of the initial inventory that's 10,000+ cards he would have been left with. He's a great seller to deal with and has always been generous with sending extra cards.

David W
08-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Is he an artist? Did he draw the picture of the player or have someone else do it?

FireGardy
08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Keith Peterson did the drawings. He's the Peterson in "Mengler-Peterson".

paul
08-13-2011, 03:39 PM
These were absolutely impossible to find until Mr. Mengler started selling them on ebay.

FireGardy
08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
These were absolutely impossible to find until Mr. Mengler started selling them on ebay.

Here is what Mengler told me when I asked him about the set:

"I probably sold 25 complete sets. i think around 200 or so were printed of the 1st 2 or 3 series and around 100 of the last 2 series."

Jason94Cobra
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Hello, first post here... a search for Mengler turned this forum and this thread specifically up for me...

I am searching for a Mengler Johnny Bench card... any leads would be greatly appreciated... I don't think I have ever seen one before...

I can't wait to browse around and see what interesting things are on this site too...

Thanks!!!

bobsbbcards
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
I have an almost-complete set (no Gaar....er, Garr). I love the Standard Catalog price of $4.00 for that card--I'd pay $100 easily.

ALR-bishop
01-05-2015, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the board, Jason. You have already run into Bob, who has the best post war collection of cards I know of. But, unfortunately he is not all that interesting.

bobsbbcards
01-06-2015, 05:58 AM
But, unfortunately he is not all that interesting.

You sweet talker. :rolleyes:

Jason94Cobra
01-12-2015, 09:58 PM
I am ECSTATIC to announce that I finally have in my possession a 1975 Mengler Johnny Bench card... but it gets better... I also have the ORIGINAL pencil sketch of the Bench that is also SIGNED by Bench... I am going to take a hit on the unsigned card for a corner or two, but I HAVE to have it graded for my PSA Master Bench set...

I will probably also have the Stargell and Concepion cards graded too since I have them now... I can never reveal the price of the Bench cards, but I can tell you I wouldn't sell them for $10,000...

I call them my unicorns!!!

Sorry if I am over excited, I have been collecting Johnny Bench stuff since I was about 11 years old in 1985 and I have NEVER seen one of these for sale, let alone the obvious rarity of the 1 of 1 signed original sketch...

That being said... I am interested in any other Bench Mengler cards that show up on the market in the future only because I feel I will be lucky to see a VG3 or 4 on this one due to the corner... it is still BEAUTIFUL to me and I will cherish it even if it receives a PR1...

The Stargell I am not going to part with either, but I could be persuaded to swap the Concepion and some cash on my end for another Bench in hopes of a slightly better grade...

mrmopar
01-13-2015, 07:42 PM
scans, man…where are the scans!?

I am ECSTATIC to announce that I finally have in my possession a 1975 Mengler Johnny Bench card... but it gets better... I also have the ORIGINAL pencil sketch of the Bench that is also SIGNED by Bench... I am going to take a hit on the unsigned card for a corner or two, but I HAVE to have it graded for my PSA Master Bench set...

I will probably also have the Stargell and Concepion cards graded too since I have them now... I can never reveal the price of the Bench cards, but I can tell you I wouldn't sell them for $10,000...

I call them my unicorns!!!

Sorry if I am over excited, I have been collecting Johnny Bench stuff since I was about 11 years old in 1985 and I have NEVER seen one of these for sale, let alone the obvious rarity of the 1 of 1 signed original sketch...

That being said... I am interested in any other Bench Mengler cards that show up on the market in the future only because I feel I will be lucky to see a VG3 or 4 on this one due to the corner... it is still BEAUTIFUL to me and I will cherish it even if it receives a PR1...

The Stargell I am not going to part with either, but I could be persuaded to swap the Concepion and some cash on my end for another Bench in hopes of a slightly better grade...