PDA

View Full Version : Huggins & Scott's 1968 Topps 3D Prototype

toppcat
08-04-2011, 04:49 AM
So if you're at the National (I'm not, rats) there is what I believe to be a second prototype of the Brooks Robinson card at their table. I posted about it last night and you can see the comparison here:

http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/2011/08/thats-proto-typical.html

It's a little hard to tell because of the angles differing on each scan but I do think the new one is cropped "looser" than the other one, which also has a large crack in it. What does everyone think?

Can anyone verify if the back has any Xograph markings or the like? This card is going to go for some big bucks when it hits the block.

ALR-bishop
08-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Dave--if you keep broadcasting this it decreases the chance it will go unnoticed if it comes up in their next auction :)

fkw
08-06-2011, 07:56 AM
The cropping differences in the blog look like they are just from the 3D effect to me. scans/photos taken at different angles would have the background move.

Why else would the background behind the bat move away from border? ....on the "Loch Ness Monster" scans.
The distance between the bat and border, belt and border, etc., all look roughly the same to me.

nice cards :)

toppcat
08-06-2011, 11:02 AM
The cropping differences in the blog look like they are just from the 3D effect to me. scans/photos taken at different angles would have the background move.

Why else would the background behind the bat move away from border? ....on the "Loch Ness Monster" scans.
The distance between the bat and border, belt and border, etc., all look roughly the same to me.

nice cards :)

I thought about that actually but I am still seeing a slight difference as I'm not sure how the connecting piece on the Monster's tail that runs vertically along the border would hide that much even if the card was being tilted. There are some differences along the right border as well. They all seem fairly small though.

A side-by-side would be needed to be 100% sure.

Mark70Z
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
The Brooks card that sold years ago I believe had the XO-GRAPH stamp on the reverse, the one at Huggins and Scott is blank backed. The auction house also mentions that two or three are confirmed; I assume if it's confirmed then they'd know the actual number, not just a quantity range?!? Oh, well, I'd "LOVE" to have this card, since I'm a Brooksie collector, but with all of the test collectors out there there's currently "no chance" I'll acquire this card. Hopefully a few more will surface to even have a chance at obtaining...:)

sflayank
08-13-2011, 11:32 AM
yes the 1st one that sold was stamped
in 2000 it went for 19,305
this one is not
saw at national