PDA

View Full Version : cracked out

tiger8mush
07-31-2011, 10:14 AM
had a few mins this morning. always fun to crack out a few low graded cards and place into binder sheets. And I didn't discriminate ... PSA, SGC, and BVG all included!

vintagetoppsguy
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
I do the same thing for mid grade cards. Often times I can fill a hole in a raw set with a nice SGC 80 or PSA 6 and it's cheaper than buying the card raw. I'll crack it out and display it raw.

CharleyBrown
07-31-2011, 02:53 PM
What method do you use to crack out your SGC cards?

tiger8mush
07-31-2011, 04:25 PM
SGCs, in my opinion, are the easiest of the 3. A small flat-head screwdriver will get it started. Put it along the seams and carefully twist. Continue that till you get a bite, then it'll start cracking the seal. Continue along the seam till a larger flat-head will work. When you get good (have done enough) it'll only take like 30 seconds. Your first time will take like forever cuz u're worried about slipping and either stabbing yourself with the screwdriver or damaging the card or just not knowing what u're doing. Just like anything else :)

Good luck!

chaddurbin
08-01-2011, 02:02 AM
i've found a swiss army knife can be used for both psa and sgc. some prefer a plier to cut off a corner and dig in with the flat head screwdriver.

for beckett a hammer and flathead screwdriver.

08-01-2011, 07:44 AM
had a few mins this morning. always fun to crack out a few low graded cards and place into binder sheets. And I didn't discriminate ... PSA, SGC, and BVG all included!

Seeing this reminded me of this old thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=123910) because of this picture:

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18887&stc=1&d=1274186303

vintagetoppsguy
08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
i've found a swiss army knife can be used for both psa and sgc.

That's exactly what I use. Mine has a bottle opener that allows me the crack off one of the corners. Once the corner is removed, I open the knife blade and wedge/pry it between the two plastic halves. I can remove a card from a slab in about 10 seconds. I've cracked hundreds and never ruined one yet.