PDA

View Full Version : My impossible dream.

ksfarmboy
07-27-2011, 07:30 PM
My impossible dream is to get a card, postcard or photo of every Kansan to make it to the major leagues up to the 1930's. Besides the obvious there are a couple of reasons that make this even more difficult than it seems. I'm not limiting this to players born in Kansas but also ones that lived here or played here at some point. This allows me to bring in players such as Buck Weaver, Jim Thorpe and Jake Beckley among others. Another factor that makes this even more daunting is I'm only getting subjects that show their true features. No lithos like the t206s and such. I thought I would give everybody a chance to see what I have so far, which you can check out on this photobucket link.

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss336/kscards/?start=all

I would also like to hear about other impossible dream collections that people are trying to assemble. Whether it be a complete set of Old Judges or something equally as challenging. I'd also like to hear how your progress is coming?

I know I will never complete this task but it sure is fun trying.

DanP
07-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Clint, nice collection!

Thanks for sharing.

Bicem
07-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Very nice, I'm jealous of some of those postcards.

joeadcock
07-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Agreed with Dan and Jeff. Very nice stuff

mighty bombjack
07-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Great stuff. You need a Tinker ASAP!

sox1903wschamp
07-27-2011, 09:51 PM
I like the collection. Thanks for sharing.

My sort of impossible dream is a complete E107 Boston American team subset. 5 down, 9 to go after 12 or so years and counting :).

Tim206
07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Yes to Tinker!!

ksfarmboy
07-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it. Yeah the Tinker has eluded me so far. I'm waiting for the right one. A decent Ramly would be my ideal piece or a great photo.

Leon
07-28-2011, 06:37 AM
As to the question of an impossible dream. It seems a complete ACC#, baseball, type card set may fit that description. Except for a few easy ones, and a few almost impossible ones, I am close to a subset from 1900-1949.....I was only 1-2 shy on the 19th century one when I ended up needing to redirect monies and bail out. It's been a lot of fun so far.

slidekellyslide
07-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Excellent collection...I once had a dream of doing the same thing with Nebraska born players and prewar players who played minor league ball in Nebraska, but found it too daunting and decided to work only on Lincoln minor leagues.

btw Rip Hagerman won 54 games over three years for Lincoln from 1910-1912..I'm still researching this, but I think he may be the all time win leader for Lincoln minor league clubs.

Hankphenom
07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
What's the Milan from, Clint? I assume that cap is Wichita, not Washington.

ksfarmboy
07-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Hank, I'm not sure what it is/was but it's of the Washington team. It has a string hanger on the back which makes me believe it might have been a calendar. I've never seen another though.

Wite3
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Around 1990 a collecting friend said I should try to get a type card collection of Phillies. I took it one step further and spent nearly a year putting together a comprehensive list of every Phillie card produced between 1880-1989. The original list was nearly 30 pages with a very small 8 font. Since then I have trimmed it down to about 15 pages with a 10 font. I have spent the last thirty years collecting Phillies from this list. I have some truly rare examples but my list still contains some disgustingly expensive or seriously rare Phillies. But every now and then, I find something to cross off that list or find something new.

That is my impossible dream...to complete that run...

Joshua

Leon
07-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Around 1990 a collecting friend said I should try to get a type card collection of Phillies. I took it one step further and spent nearly a year putting together a comprehensive list of every Phillie card produced between 1880-1989. The original list was nearly 30 pages with a very small 8 font. Since then I have trimmed it down to about 15 pages with a 10 font. I have spent the last thirty years collecting Phillies from this list. I have some truly rare examples but my list still contains some disgustingly expensive or seriously rare Phillies. But every now and then, I find something to cross off that list or find something new.

That is my impossible dream...to complete that run...

Joshua

Joshua - cool project. If you ever get within spitting distance let me know and I am sure I can help with a few....somehow.

DixieBaseball
08-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Clint - Great Collection! Thank you for sharing the pics. My collecting interest are similar to yours as I focus on a city (Nashville) primarily, but do bleed over into the State as well as other Southern League memorabilia. Typically if I collect other players, they had a cup of coffee in Nashville or are some how connected. My types range from 1895-2011.