PDA

View Full Version : E97 B/W vs. Color

deadballera
07-27-2011, 03:34 PM
How much more scarce are the b/w versions compared to the color versions.

are the b/w usually found in lower conditions ? The few that I have seen have been in lower condition. What happened in the distribution to cause this ?

thanks

Bosox Blair
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I'll take a stab at this.

E97 B&W are many times rarer than E97 color. Per subject in E97 B&W I would not be surprised if there are fewer than 10 surviving.

You are right - E97 B&W are almost always found in rougher shape. An example in VG (or better) is a great find.

Nobody seems to know how (or whether) these were distributed. There is not even agreement on whether these are more likely to have been proofs or a separate issue altogether.

One observation I have made that seems to favour the "proofs" side of things is that I've never seen a "corrected" E97 B&W. For each variation in E97 color (caused by a later change to correct info on the card) I have only ever seen the first version in B&W. I've never seen a corrected B&W, and I doubt they exist.

Cheers,
Blair

Leon
07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
I would politely disagree about the E97 Black and Whites being proofs. To me, they don't have characteristics of a proof as I normally think of what a proof is.
There are many copies of each (still very scarce though), the names are on them and they generally don't have cross hairs for alignment. My guess is they are a completely separate set. And as to why their condition is usually not very good, I think we can look at all paper thin series and tell from their stock that they didn't hold up well over time. Just a few thoughts....and I could be wrong :).....

http://luckeycards.com/pe97young2.jpg

Jacklitsch
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
And then there is also the "blank back" variation.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/jacklitsch1/Murray/MurrayE97Trio.jpg

joeadcock
07-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Nice comparison Steve

Bosox Blair
09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm the proud papa of these triplets, which I believe are all of the Sullivan variations (I've never seen a blank back or a B&W Chicago):

Ladder7
09-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Winning trifecta! Congrats Blair

tbob
09-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Beautiful cards, Blair! You are right, the E97 Sullivan Chicago Black and White does not exist and although I have a majority of the blank backed color set, I've never seen a Sullivan.
The blank backed color E97s are very nice and they are much scarcer than the black and whites (which in turn are much scarcer than the regular color issue). All my color blank backs are pretty identical to the regular issue fronts with the exception of my Camnitz which is totally different and has completely different colors. Why this one card stands out as the only blank back to be such an anolmaly, I have no clue. It's not missing a color pass or faded but has completely different colors (pants, shirt, cap, background, etc.). I BINed it off eBay about 3 years ago.

Bosox Blair
09-03-2011, 02:32 PM
All my color blank backs are pretty identical to the regular issue fronts with the exception of my Camnitz which is totally different and has completely different colors. Why this one card stands out as the only blank back to be such an anolmaly, I have no clue. It's not missing a color pass or faded but has completely different colors (pants, shirt, cap, background, etc.). I BINed it off eBay about 3 years ago.

Hi Bob,

Very cool - do you have a scan you can share? I'd love to see that one!

Cheers,
Blair

Bosox Blair
09-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Winning trifecta! Congrats Blair

Thanks, Steve!

Cheers,
Blair

tbob
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Hi Bob,

Very cool - do you have a scan you can share? I'd love to see that one!

Cheers,
Blair

Here you go Blair!
tbob

Bosox Blair
09-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Here you go Blair!
tbob

Very cool/unique card - thanks for showing!!

Cheers,
Blair