PDA

View Full Version : Why are Whitey Ford's cards so cheap?

scmavl
07-27-2011, 07:23 AM
Looking at his career (2.75 ERA, .690 win percentage) it's hard to understand why his cards don't get more attention. Any thoughts on this?

bcbgcbrcb
07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Jarrod:

The same can be said about a lot of the post-war pitchers in the HOF. It seems that the great pitchers in baseball history were appreciated by collectors (at least in terms of $$) much more as compared to their everyday player contemporaries during the pre-war era, ie - WaJo, Matty, Cy, etc. When you look at Ford, Gibson, Koufax, etc. they don't come close in terms of card values to Aaron, Clemente, Mays, etc. The main exception being Nolan Ryan.

scmavl
07-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Phil- Thanks for the insight. I agree with most of that but I think Koufax is kind of an exception. His cards always tend to sell fast and for good prices. I think it's rather funny since he only had 6 good (well, great) seasons. His religion/cultural status may figure into that as well. Drysdale & Seaver's cards don't do too bad either.

I agree that Bob Gibson is a highly underrated player, he was tough as nails.

mmassenzio
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
I also agree about the Gibson rookie card. IMO very undervalued, especially since it comes in the tougher last series of the set. Same case can be made for the Carlton rookie when compared to Seaver's & Ryan's RC's

D. Bergin
07-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Finesse pitchers don't necessarily get the attention from collectors that power pitchers do............even if they pitched in New York.

Brendan
07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Finesse pitchers don't necessarily get the attention from collectors that power pitchers do............even if they pitched in New York.

This.

It's all about strikeouts these days. No different than a popout. .690 vs. .526 win percentage. That's Ford and Ryan.

Volod
07-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Warren Spahn?!

Brendan
07-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Warren Spahn?!

+1

mintacular
07-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Would disagree about Koufax though...If you want to talk about an underrated pticher and value see Jim Palmer's '66 rookie which can be had for $20 or less in EX conditoin...

brob28
07-28-2011, 07:42 AM
While were on the subject what do you think (performance wise) makes a pitchers cards more popular in the collecting world? Wins, strikeouts, post season performance?

It seems to me that strikeouts and no hitters matter more than wins in many cases.

I remember when I was a kid, no one was really excited about Nolan Ryan cards. At the time he was a .500 pitcher as wins and losses go. Then he threw, I think 3 no hitters in over a few years and his card poplarity went through the roof. Granted he ended up at or near the top of the list in many statistical categoris, but the no-no's seemd to get him noticed.

cwazzy
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
It's all about strikeouts these days. No different than a popout. .690 vs. .526 win percentage. That's Ford and Ryan.

I do think strikeouts is probably the main draw but I think comparing win percentage is overrated and misleading. Ford was probably a better overall pitcher but I think a lot of Ryan's low win percentage is a product of the crappy teams he played for.

David W
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Actually, most of the major stars in the 50's and 60's are very affordable, especially in low grade.

There are just a lot of those cards available and sitting on ebay going unsold.

Anyone who wants a Whitey Ford card already has 1 or 2 or 3 or........

ls7plus
07-29-2011, 06:09 PM
I do think strikeouts is probably the main draw but I think comparing win percentage is overrated and misleading. Ford was probably a better overall pitcher but I think a lot of Ryan's low win percentage is a product of the crappy teams he played for.

Quite true. I checked the team stats for the Angels while he was there some years ago, and my recollection was that they seldom had even a so-so closer. Ryan dominated, in terms of seasonal and lifetime opponents batting average--simply one of the toughest pitchers to hit of all time, and collectors love that.

That said, I do need a Whitey Ford, after having sold my '54 Topps PSA 7 in an auction several years ago. The card I will be looking for and my favorite of him is the '53 Bowman in NMt or better.

Best to all,

Larry