PDA

View Full Version : Grading Question

John V
07-26-2011, 08:31 PM
This is not a complaint about SGC. Yes, I'd rather it be VG. I'm just curious to know more about the grading process.
Note the rounded corners on the left side of this card versus the slightly sharper corners on the right side. Does a grader normally view this to be abnormal wear and automatically assume it to be trimmed? According to the Standard Catalog T205s should measure 1 7/16 wide and this one is a hair over.
I would appreciate any thoughts on how this works.

terjung
07-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Is there, by chance, any tape on the back? If so, that could be the reason for it.

Look on the website for the grade. I think it (or the slip it came with) should give you a reason for it.

John V
07-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Here's the back. No tape. I'll check the website.

ullmandds
07-27-2011, 06:24 AM
With that crease...not sure if it would be vg regardless...but...rt side corners...cut look irregular...possible trim.

Leon
07-27-2011, 06:26 AM
There was an article written, I believe in the SGC magazine by their owner, talking about how they could identify certain types of edges on T cards (inc. T205s) where they could tell the "roll" of the edge was not a factory cut. Personally, unless I see some waviness it's difficult to tell. I am not a grader though.

Taxman
07-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Back left side looks to be trimmed...I stress looks in the scan not saying for sure...but notice the distance between the green border and side of the card varies as you go down the card....This would explain the "A" grade.

ullmandds
07-27-2011, 07:04 AM
Agreed...that's what I was seeing...the difference between the edge of the card and the green line on the back scan.

Edwolf1963
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Could there be evidence of recoloring..? I have noticed that more in the T205's than others. Unless they specified evidence of trimming. You can send back and ask them for the detail of where/why, they've been very good about that with me on the few that I didn't understand why the "A"

e107collector
07-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Back left side looks to be trimmed...I stress looks in the scan not saying for sure...but notice the distance between the green border and side of the card varies as you go down the card....This would explain the "A" grade.

I agree with Taxman.

Tony

Pup6913
07-27-2011, 09:17 AM
I agree with the trimmed verdict. After having looked at literaly thousands of these T205's I can tell you 9.5/10 times I can pick an altered card out. That bottom back left edge is the spot. The others cards out there...... Well one battle at a time:D

edhans
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
It doesn't look trimmed to me, but there may be a touch of recoloration in the upper right corner. With that crease you'd be looking at a "30" tops.

ullmandds
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
ya...upper rt corner looks like it may have been recolored...in addition to funky looking left corner. I'd think a black light would confirm the added color possibility.