PDA

View Full Version : Hey there I'm new

1acid
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Hey guys watsup, Im new around here and just thought id go and introduce myslef, My name is Craig, im 25 from Cape Town, South Africa. Not sure if there are many card collectors around here but hey.

Anyways i just orderd a bunch of stuff off ebay and(stupid) decide to do a bit more research whilst waiting for my parcel to arrive. anyways my mine has been blown looking through the pages of this and other forums and your guys (and girls) collections. I have almost no idea who most of the people are but since ive started reading Ive already learnt a great deal.

Anyways if you guys know of any major collectors outside of the US id be interested in hearing about them but anyways Ill just stick to reading the threads and related news articles, from what ive seen I must stay away from Coaches corner sounds like funny things happening over there, the prices are tempting though!!!

Anyways all the best

Craig

ALR-bishop
07-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Welcome. Do you have one of those horns from the World Cup ?

Cardboard Junkie
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Hello and howdy doody! Welcome! What are your collecting interests?
Dave.

1acid
07-27-2011, 01:56 AM
Welcome. Do you have one of those horns from the World Cup ?

Yeah I do if you want one I can mail you one? just let me know, there is allot of memrobilia floating around from the world cup for pretty cheap ATM.

As far as the other question goes with regard to my collecting interests, well Im not sure where to begin. Mainly I would say I am interested in the NFL, this is mainly because I understand the game and play allot of Madden on the XBOX, this has allowed me to learn the best teams and players so I now do have some favourite players from this generation.

But since reading thru engdless threads about baseball cards I have since become very interested in them aswell. I couldnt tell you a favourite player or exactly how the game works... The other thing is that allot of the nicer stuff is really expensive, from just looking around Ive seen a few things that i am interested in but wont break the bank such items are:

Topps Archivese Series ( ive seen a couple different series of this stuff and if im nto mistaken they are reprints(rerelease of certain earlier editions of topps products) I really like this stuff and appears almostidenticle to the originals.

the 1953 and 1954 sets look pretty cool. Another thing i was thinking was getting a reprint of some Mickey Mantel cards as i cant afford the real deal, but most people around here wouldnt be able to tell the differnce in the card.

Anyways thats some info for you, hope i didnt bore you

craig

Brendan
07-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Welcome.

Thing is, modern reprints just really aren't the same as the real thing. Considering the real thing can be pretty expensive, this poses an issue. However, in 1960, Fleer issued a set depicting top of the line retired players from earlier eras. Because these players are already retired when the cards were issued, (almost all of them) most hobbyists seem to shy away from them. Because of this, you can get these at very modest prices compared to what a card produced during this player's actual career would go for.

1acid
07-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the information, that does sound like a decent option..

ALR-bishop
07-27-2011, 08:15 AM
A 1960 Fleer set in top condition can demand a pretty good price, especially if you want one with one of the # 80 Martin wrong backs ( there are 3) to complete the set. I paid more that card than some of my Mantles . And my 1951 Connie Mack All Star set that also depicted retired players when issued cost me a bundle to assemble.

Topps has put out a lot of Mantle reprints and they can be found fairly easily on ebay for almost any year. In fact a lot of the 52s and 53s get offered as the real deal.

Mantle has also been the subject of several cards "that never were" distributed at the annual National Card Show, this year...next week...in Chicago. If you take a look at the Kit Young Cards web site, they offer a lot of them for sale

1acid
07-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info...

Brendan
07-27-2011, 11:54 AM
A 1960 Fleer set in top condition can demand a pretty good price, especially if you want one with one of the # 80 Martin wrong backs ( there are 3) to complete the set. I paid more that card than some of my Mantles . And my 1951 Connie Mack All Star set that also depicted retired players when issued cost me a bundle to assemble.

Topps has put out a lot of Mantle reprints and they can be found fairly easily on ebay for almost any year. In fact a lot of the 52s and 53s get offered as the real deal.

Mantle has also been the subject of several cards "that never were" distributed at the annual National Card Show, this year...next week...in Chicago. If you take a look at the Kit Young Cards web site, they offer a lot of them for sale

The guy is new to collecting. I don't think he's about to go after the variations right off the bat. 1951 Connie Mack All Star set has nothing to do with 1960 Fleer. I'm not saying as a general rule, but from what I've read about 1960 Fleer, (which seems to be less than you since you collected it) the simplest way to put it is how I just did. If he wants to do 1960 Fleer and go after high grade examples, he can. Just about every old set is expensive in high grade.

Go ahead, reprints are fine. You'll be able to own all the cards I want.

1acid
07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah all that stuff about variations is a bit deep, at the moment im kinda thinking of doing framed wall displays and then thought id have to keep it to teams as some sets are massive and this is whilst keeping the cost down(consider i just ordered a package off Ebay packake was 17$ &45$ for shippping!!!). I kinda looked around and other than owning an original mantle 53 o52 PSA1 or 2 which would props cost me too much Id say this stuff here is pretty cool and doesnt exactly break the bank and i believe these are reputable dealers? Anyways this 1 i have a question about this item: http://www.bbcexchange.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemid=4444&searchtype=0&search=&lotsperpage=25&categoryid=16&displayby=2&pagetype=0&page=0&seo=1954-Topps-Archives-Baseball-Complete-Set

it sais this -
1954 Topps Baseball Archives Complete Set. This set contains cards numbered 2 through 258. There were 3 cards that were issued in 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Greats (How UD and Topps teamed up to do this, I will never know). These 3 cards are numbers 1,250 and 259 which are not included in this set. Beckett lists this set at $200 WITHOUT the 3 missing cards.

What is this business about 3 missing cards? sum1 told me they are the 3 nicest cards!! anyways ive seen it on ebay cheaper but wanted to know how much the 3 will set me back and if they are rare?

here are some other things i thought were cool and not too expensive, i like the colors and the fact that theyre old :)

http://www.bbcexchange.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemid=2776&searchtype=0&search=&lotsperpage=25&categoryid=16&displayby=2&pagetype=0&page=0&seo=1953-Topps-Archives-Baseball-Complete-Set

http://www.bbcexchange.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemid=2479&searchtype=0&search=&lotsperpage=25&categoryid=16&displayby=2&pagetype=0&page=0&seo=1977-Topps-Baseball-Complete-Set

http://www.bbcexchange.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemid=2756&searchtype=0&search=&lotsperpage=25&categoryid=16&displayby=2&pagetype=0&page=0&seo=1977-Topps-Football-Complete-Set

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-Topps-Archives-1956-1957-Football-Complete-Set-/130545633757?pt=US_Football&hash=item1e652049dd#ht_792wt_952

This is the kinda stuff im looking at, at the moment, wont order any for now, i am also quite interested in unopened packs and that kinda stuff, seen some really nice unopened packs with stars showing but im staying away from that at the moment aswell.

Id love to go to a card shop of even a card show it must be amazing....

peace