PDA

View Full Version : How about this 52T Mantle?

Cardboard Junkie
07-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Hee Hee! I don't remember where I found this pic but do you think a card this abused would still qualify as "authentic" (providing it is) by third party grading? If so what price would it fetch? Would you ever buy a card this beat?[ATTACH]42953

ALR-bishop
07-25-2011, 11:11 AM
This is the variation with the wavy top star border, the truncated e in the signature and ( cut off on this one) the tails on the upper black border. Also the stitches on the back ball on this one go to the left . On the other there are no border tails, the star line is straight, the e has a full tail and the stitches on the back run to the right

Zach Wheat
07-25-2011, 11:20 AM
It could be just me, but the remainder of the card looks funny. The paper does not have yellowing on other 52 Topps cards I have. I have attached an image showing the yellowing. The paper on the partial card looks too white.

ALR-bishop
07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Zach's scan show the tailed e variation

Cardboard Junkie
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys.....I appreciate your response but I am aware of the 3 double printed hi # variations (I am fortunate to have them). My questions are....If the beat mantle were authentic would it be slabbed as such?? And how much would it bring? And would you ever consider purchasing a card that destroyed? As a by the way note...has anyone else noticed that #32 zernial both black and red back has his position listed as "ontfield" not outfield?

Tcards-Please
07-25-2011, 04:13 PM
David,

Yes, it would be graded with the authentic designation if it is authentic. There is a board member that has a 1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson that is cut down around his picture that was graded authentic. I wouldn't even try to guess what a card like that would go for, but I would be surprised if it went for more than $500. I'm sure you would get a lot of offers from those trying to complete a registry set who have a limited budget.

r/
Frank

canjond
07-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm guessing more in the range of $50-$75 (but maybe I'm way off). Using the 1914 Matty as a benchmark, that card sold for $100 cut I believe.

vintagetoppsguy
07-27-2011, 01:49 PM
I think Topps should buy it and cut it into little pieces for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle swatch card numbered to /52 and put it in packs of 2012 Topps baseball marking the 60th anniversary of the card. :D

I bet they would go for big bucks just so people could say they owned a piece of a '52 Mantle.

Topps, if you're listening and decide to do this, I want my cut for this brilliant idea :D

07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I think that card might be trimmed.

Kidding aside, I wonder if a paper conservator could "rebuild" it into a full card. Most of Mantle is there, just missing the Yankee logo and some border. They could use a donor card à la the Frankenwagners and Plankensteins that have come up for auction lately.

ls7plus
07-30-2011, 11:07 PM
I think Topps should buy it and cut it into little pieces for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle swatch card numbered to /52 and put it in packs of 2012 Topps baseball marking the 60th anniversary of the card. :D

I bet they would go for big bucks just so people could say they owned a piece of a '52 Mantle.

Topps, if you're listening and decide to do this, I want my cut for this brilliant idea :D

David, that's the funniest post I've read in quite a while [although considering what's been happening with T206 Wagners, Daryl may be right]!

Best wishes,

Larry