PDA

View Full Version : Do you think you'll ever own a '52 Topps Mantle RC?

mintacular
07-24-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm thinking it will probably never happen, how about you?

vintagetoppsguy
07-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Does a reprint count? :D

CharleyBrown
07-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Mint... probably not, but I'll be honest, its not even close to being a target/focus at this point.

I'm still trying to convince myself that I'll own every single Jackie Robinson card from 1947-1956 at this point. About 50% of the way there, but that Hocus Focus, '54 Gray Back, and a few of the Bond Bread issues seem awfully daunting.

I'd still probably go for the '51 Bowman Mantle, only because I prefer the image to that of the '52 Topps.

Brendan
07-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Not really. Doesn't interest me much to own a second year card of a player who has quite pricey cards compared to his actual career.

hangman62
07-25-2011, 04:50 AM
I know I will never own one..but Im quite good with it..not a big Mantle guy.. I have wanted other " out of reach cards" in the past and actually landed a couple., but if a great mantle deal fell in my lap..Id consider it

cdn_collector
07-25-2011, 05:54 AM
As kids, one of the first things we did when we got new price guides was look up the value of the '52 Mantle. None of us knew it wasn't his rookie. All of us wanted one.

Some days, I think it'd be cool to own one as a reminder of the good ol' days. In reality, I don't think I'll ever be willing to spend that kind of money on a baseball card. And if I could bring myself to let go of that kind of cash on one card, Mantle would have to fall in line behind a few other cards that I've since learned about.

Regards,

Richard.

k-dog
07-25-2011, 06:15 AM
If I do it will happen because I inherit one or win a contest. And I probably wont have it for long because I'm sure there are people on the BST that would want it much more than I do! :D

almostdone
07-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Probably not for me. A huge Mantle admirer but not a Mantle collector. I could do so much more for my collection with that kind of money. Besides I could probably only end up affording a trashed example and that doesn't seen worth it for the "centerpiece" of my collection.

BTW I do think I will end up with a 52 Bowman since completing that set is my next dream project. So in truth I could say someday "Hey I finnally got a 52 Mantle!"

Drew

ALR-bishop
07-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I am fortunate to have 2, both variations. I have tried to do any recognized variations to the set, with the exception of the gray backs

ChiefBenderForever
07-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Honestly I would have to say, YES ! The two cards I want to get someday, and this would be some years down the road are a nice 4-5 grade Mantle Topps RC and a nice 2 or 3 grade T206 Plank ! Another card I have always wanted is the 68 3D Clemente.

Al would love to see scans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

campyfan39
07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
This may sound nuts...but I probably will never get one and I am happy with that. I would think if I did I might stop collecting, feeling like a had reached the pinnacle.

novakjr
07-25-2011, 04:31 PM
NO, because a '52 Topps Mantle RC doesn't exist. I know what you meant though. No, I will probably never own a '52 Topps Mantle. The '51 Bowman Rookie, I'd say yes, I probably will someday.

Brendan
07-25-2011, 05:28 PM
NO, because a '52 Topps Mantle RC doesn't exist. I know what you meant though. No, I will probably never own a '52 Topps Mantle. The '51 Bowman Rookie, I'd say yes, I probably will someday.

Still not as bad as the 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth RC. :confused:

ChiefBenderForever
07-25-2011, 06:06 PM
NO, because a '52 Topps Mantle RC doesn't exist.

But it is his Topps RC as he wasn't included in the 51 Topps game card set. If Albert Pujols can have over 1500 different RC cards I think it's safe to say Mantle has a couple. And yes the 33 Goudey is Gehrig and Ruths Rc card as that is the first mainstream set they were in, were there other issues before, yes but in limited quanity, just like the 86 Fleer Jordan RC. True RCs, maybe not but still RC cards nontheless.

ls7plus
07-25-2011, 06:35 PM
While I am a huge Mantle fan, the seemingly endless parade of the '52 Topps at auction just turns me off. Those of us who are younger (unfortunately not me--I'm old enough that I actually saw him play numerous times) will see lower prices, I predict, after the baby boomer crush on this card is over and done with. The supply is just too large to support current values, especially in mid to lower grades.

If you like it, though, I understand exactly where you're coming from.

Regards,

Larry

BearBailey
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
As a set collector yes. Eventually I would like to put together all of the Main Stream sets including postwar Topps, Bowman etc. I am close to having all 60's to date and do have 57 & 59 topps completed, so sooner than later I will have to start working on the 52 topps set, I do have scattered cards from the set. I think I have avoided it as I think the set is so Over Priced. I prefer the 57&59 Topps and the 54&52 Bowmans from the 50s. It is an iconic card to say the least, but not rare and very pricey!

novakjr
07-25-2011, 08:51 PM
But it is his Topps RC as he wasn't included in the 51 Topps game card set. If Albert Pujols can have over 1500 different RC cards I think it's safe to say Mantle has a couple. And yes the 33 Goudey is Gehrig and Ruths Rc card as that is the first mainstream set they were in, were there other issues before, yes but in limited quanity, just like the 86 Fleer Jordan RC. True RCs, maybe not but still RC cards nontheless.

Technically, the term Rookie Card is player specific(assuming a mainstream release), and not brand.. "First Topps Card" would be a more appropriate term. Much like the '58 Musial AS card. Definitely not a rookie. Try convincing anyone that the 1998 Topps card of David Ortiz is his rookie. Or that '97 Topps is Mariano Rivera's.. But "First Topps Card" does still hold some merit, despite not being a "Rookie".

fkw
07-25-2011, 09:16 PM
1951 Wheaties and 1951 Bowman are his Rookies, Ive owned both in the past.

Never wanted/needed his 1952 Topps card and never will.

scmavl
07-26-2011, 07:50 AM
I think one day I may get one. I own his '51 Bowman RC but the '52 Topps is more of a baseball card milestone rather than a HOF RC. A very cool and legendary card. I'd like to have a nice looking PSA 2 or so, as I'm sure that's all I could afford anyway.

toppcat
07-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I've learned to never say never. I own a whole bunch of tough cards I never would have thought would grace my collection and a 52 Mantle is a longshot but still....

wolfdogg
07-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I am fortunate to have 2, both variations. I have tried to do any recognized variations to the set, with the exception of the gray backs

I'm doing the '52 Topps set also with all the variations EXCEPT for the gray backs

Think I have 50 of the Black/Red backs #1-80
Have the Page/Sain errors
Have the Campos Black Star
After reading about the House Yellow/Brown Tiger logo last night, I bought a Brown Logo variety last night on the Bay as I already had the Yellow Tiger

I need the 3 High #s Double Prints.......that will be th last thing I do

are there any more????

ChiefBenderForever
07-26-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm doing the '52 Topps set also with all the variations EXCEPT for the gray backs

After reading about the House Yellow/Brown Tiger logo last night, I bought a Brown Logo variety last night on the Bay as I already had the Yellow Tiger

are there any more????

Very nice !! Just make sure to have a bottle of Wildcat on ice to celebrate !!

benderbroeth
07-26-2011, 08:52 PM
yes i will but for now my main focus is 1880's sets....

darrend505
07-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Someday I would like to own one! I am a Topps set collector. Only currently working on 1972, up to present I have the rest of them! Though I am also working on a 1954 Bowman set, down to only needing 18 cards. I have a beater Mantle, but I love the card!

ALR-bishop
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM

are there any more????

See the 1952 Topps Master thread below in this forum

Gary Dunaier
07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Does a reprint count? :D

I'll be happy with a reprint. I doubt I'll ever own the real thing. If I ever had the kind of disposable income that would allow me to afford a 52T Mantle, there are other items that are higher up on my "dispose your disposable income here" list.

canjond
07-27-2011, 01:01 PM
While I grew up essentially in the 1990s (I bought my first pack of baseball cards in 1989 at the age of 8), I was always drawn to the '52 Topps Mantle. Someone earlier said that they would look up the price of the Mantle... I did too. Every month when I got my new Beckett, I would always flip to the 1952 Topps to see what the card was worth. I still remember holding my first original one at a card show in 1993. It just had this aura to it. Well, last December, I finally decided it was time to get one. So, while there are certainly other cards in my collection much more desireable, I'm not sure if there are too many that give me the same enjoyment. Whenever I hold the card, it brings back memories of my earlier days of collecting when the Mantle was at the top of the pinnacle for me.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/jon_canfield/1952MantleFront.jpg

wolfdogg
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
See the 1952 Topps Master thread below in this forum

Thanks.....got em all noted and the search continues........:D

I've got the (3) Boone cards......gotta check on the others to see which ones I have

quick check of my set shows that both of my #31 Zernial cards (black back and red back) have OUTFIELD misspelled ONTFIELD..........are they all misspelled?

Rickyy
07-27-2011, 05:36 PM
I have one (creased and all) that I got 20 or so years ago, because that was one of my goals when I started collecting older cards...and also it was a fraction of what its going for now, but if I started today, I'd doubt I would be willing to pony up the $'s to buy one at current prices...

Ricky Y

HOF Yankees
07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
If I win the lottery then yes I will get a nice decent looking one but other then that nope never

HOF Yankees
07-31-2011, 01:41 AM
If I win the lottery then yes I will get a nice decent looking one but other then that nope never, it was a card that i never really had on my want list. I like the 52 bowman mantle more cause of colors and picture

Exhibitman
07-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Only if I got a screaming deal on it and then only until I could cash it out. A ridiculously overpriced card IMO.

ALR-bishop
07-31-2011, 06:36 AM
T.......are they all misspelled?

Apparently so. Guess it was not caught before the change of backs. Maybe the proof folks were too amazed by the front to care about the back

Doug
08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I guess the question for me would be "Do I think I'll ever be able to hold onto a '52 Topps Mantle?". I've actually owned five different '52 Topps Mantle cards over the past couple years, but everytime I buy one some unexpected expense manages to crop up and the Mantle gets sold to cover it (usually at a huge loss :( ). I just picked up another one so hopefully the 6th time is the charm! :D

Doug
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
*scan moved to the pickup thread*

08-01-2011, 03:57 PM
That's really nice color for a 1 Doug. How long will you hold onto this one?

Doug
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
That's really nice color for a 1 Doug. How long will you hold onto this one?

Hopefully I won't have to sell this one unless I'm able to upgrade it in the future, but with my current budget I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. Never say never though, I could always hit the lottery! :)

383astro
08-01-2011, 06:32 PM
I dont think I will ever get the 52T Mantle. I would rather have a nice 52T Mathews and 51B Mantle.

Doug
08-05-2011, 04:47 PM
This may sound nuts...but I probably will never get one and I am happy with that. I would think if I did I might stop collecting, feeling like a had reached the pinnacle.

I actually ran into that exact problem when I bought my first '52 Mantle (a SGC 30 GOOD) a few years ago. Since my biggest collecting goal was just to own one, I definitely had that "okay, now what?" moment after I finally got it. I managed to upgrade it a few times up to a PSA 4, but then I started getting burned out from basically buying the same card over and over again. After a little over a year away from the hobby, I realized there were still a lot of great cards out there that I never even owned. The first card I bought after my time off was a PSA 3 1953 Topps Jackie Robinson and I got that feeling of enjoyment from owning a card for the first time all over again. As long as you still find collecting cards enjoyable, there really isn't a pinnacle. :)

brob28
08-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I don't think I will - no to be crass, but I really think prices on Mantle's stuff will take a hit in the future as more baby boomers leave the collecting world.

jbbama
08-08-2011, 07:35 AM
nope............'51 Bowman maybe.