PDA

View Full Version : M101-2 Leach w/Goldfaden stamp

Leon
07-22-2011, 11:04 PM
A very nice board member gave me this M101-2 Leach w/Goldfaden stamp because he said he thought I would enjoy it. I thought I would share his act of kindness with the board. Love the back stamps and love the hobby history so this is a home run. I appreciated his gesture very much. Good things still happen in the hobby.

milkit1
07-23-2011, 05:29 PM
That's awesome. Pay it forward :)

Jcfowler6
07-23-2011, 06:09 PM
That is way cool. Both the item and the gesture.

tiger8mush
07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
very neat! I don't recall ever seeing a stamp on the back of an M101-2. congrats!

Exhibitman
07-24-2011, 07:21 AM
I got my first look at a 1954 Aaron from Goodwin Goldfaden--now there's a name from the past--at ADCO here in Los Angeles. But he wanted $10 for one with back damage so I passed. Imagine, ten bucks for a 1954 Aaron...the nerve. For anyone who never had the chance to go to his shop, this description of a stereotypical candy store operator from "The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading and Bubble Gum Book" is a good fit:

"middle-aged men with psoriasis -- paunchy citizens with sallow complexions and sour outlooks, who wore plaid woolen shirts no matter how hot it was and little felt hats that had repeatedly been stepped on."

Well, except for the hat...I remember going to that rathole store of his and being totally intimidated by the odd little man in the grubby clothes and his boxes of junk piled up to the rafters. Goldfaden had a personality made for mail order, sort of the Soup Nazi of dealers. He'd buzz you into the shop, which was locked, and scowl at you like you were wasting his time being there. You'd ask for the cards you wanted, he'd disappear into the back, and emerge with the cards. The prices were invariably more than you wanted to pay for grades lower than what you wanted to buy, but it was the only game in town, take it or leave it.

1971 SI story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1085327/index.htm