PDA

View Full Version : Any help Identyifing this?

SMPEP
07-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Hi,

I picked up the attached card of Fred Clarke ... and have no idea what it is. It measures 4 1/2" x 2 5/8". I'm guessing it's trimmed from something because the top and bottom have hints of a black border. Plain blank back.

Oh, and all the seller could offer is that the original owner worked for the Philadelphia newspaper - so he thought it was a paper photo. But this is definitely printed on cardboard so that explanation seems unlikely.

Anyone know what thisis? Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
Patrick

fkw
07-22-2011, 04:41 PM
to me it looks like a center portion of a 1948 or 1974 Baseball Greats Exhibit card. And the size would be about right.

Not sure though, he IS found in both sets and the design is exactly the same as others in the set, but the ones I just looked at dont have black touching the image on left or right side. a black line is close to the image but not touching. ???

fkw
07-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Yup :)

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotImages/37/52851a_lg.jpeg

edited to say, yours may be a 1974 version or a 1948 I dont know these well. example above is slight different with no black touching image on sides, but SGC FAILED to note the set.

PS the auction I snagged the image from calls it a 1948....... and obviously if Clarke signed it it wouldnt be from 1974 lol :)

SMPEP
07-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Awesome Frank. Thanks for the assist.

Never thought it was that new. I had it pegged for the 1910s. Oh well.

Cheers,
Patrick