PDA

View Full Version : Photo ID Help

aquarius31
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi,
I picked up this Detroit Tigers photo about a year ago. It really intrigued me although I have no idea who it is or from what year (1920's?). It is affixed to a relatively sturdy piece of cardboard and I think the initials are S.N.L but not certain. There is no writing on the back. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

George

Lordstan
07-19-2011, 03:58 PM
WHile, I admit to being no expert, allow me to offer an observation and a recommendation.

First, the observation. The stadium in the background does not appear to be major league. Perhaps this is Spring Training or a minor league park.

The recomendation is to look up the uniform online.
Using the Dressed To The Nines database, you might be able to pinpoint the year of the Tiger uniform.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/index.htm

Good Luck,
Mark

william_9
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Based on the combination of dark hat and the style of "D" on the jersey, I'm going to say that the player is wearing a 1907 road uniform.

aquarius31
07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Mark, that's a super website...thank you for sharing!

Hi William, I definitely agree that the uniform most closely resembles 1907.

It looks like he has a catcher's mitt...none of the catcher's from 1907 really resemble this photo except for possible Jimmy Archer but even that is definitely a stretch.

I'm happy for now knowing the approximate date for the photo. Thanks again!

ChrisGalbreath
07-22-2011, 07:24 PM
The Ballpark appears to be Bennett Park in Detroit and my "guess" on the ball player would be Wild Bill Donovan - - - who was known to play first base from time to time...

aquarius31
07-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks...it does look like the same park. Not sure if it really looks like Wild Bill but I'm not good with facial recognition. The only catcher who looks somewhat like the photo is Jimmy Archer (front row second from left) although very difficult to tell when I zoom in on his face (2nd photo). It may also be Red Downs but doesn't make sense based on position played.