PDA

View Full Version : 1954 Topps Gray Backs

CharleyBrown
07-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Does anybody have any knowledge of these cards?

Just how different is the back in comparison to the standard back? PSA only has 3 Jackie Robinsons listed. Are they that rare, or is it a case of PSA not indicating the variation on a number of cards?

ALR-bishop
07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
The first 50 cards do exist in gray back and are quite distinctive from the white/cream stock backs of the regular cards. I only have one of them as an example for my 54 set, # 30 Mathews. The Standard catalog description mentions the possibility of a Canadian origin for the gray backs, which exist for the first 50 cards of the 54 set. ( same as with cards 131-190 of the 52 set). But I think the Canadian origin is now questioned by a lot ( most ?) people, particularly for the 52s.

The 52 are really hard to find, and the 54s pretty hard to run down, in part because if a seller does not know what he has, you rarely see the backs in on line scans. But even in shows they are tough to find. I have settled on examples of both for my sets

CharleyBrown
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
ALR, thanks for the explanation. Do you have the Mathews in both backs, or just the gray back. I'd be interested in seeing a side by side comparison between the two.

I do wonder how many gray backs have been graded by PSA without the gray back distinction.

CharleyBrown
07-17-2011, 10:43 AM
What is interesting is PSA gave this card the Gray Back distinction (as it clearly should have)... but yet, it is not included in the pop report. For S&G, I added it to my inventory to see how it would come up, and its listed as a standard 1954 Topps without the Gray Back distinction.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=3158

ValKehl
07-21-2011, 07:31 PM
card #6 - Pete Runnels (my favorite player when I was a Little Leaguer).
Val

Wite3
07-22-2011, 10:17 PM
It was thought that the gray backs might be Canadian, left over stock, or even a test run...heard all theories. I have owned several and they are rare. Always looking for phillies examples.

Joshua