PDA

View Full Version : Gum Stains

almostdone
07-16-2011, 06:08 AM
I reciently picked up a box of odds and ends from the early 60's for next to nothing. There isn't anything to great but a few lower end HOFer's that would be nice to bolster my HOF collection (Ashburn, Wynn, Bunning, etc). The problem is there are a few with gums stains on the face or back of them. I'm sure there is an easy way to remove them without damaging the card but I figured I would ask here first.
Any suggestions?
Drew

GoldenAge50s
07-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Drew--

Pantyhose is great for removing wax & gumstain from smooth surface Fronts, but on the backs it's pretty much right into the porous rough surface and short of a stain removal procedure won't come out.

toppcat
07-16-2011, 11:30 AM
A dry paper towel works on the fronts as well.

almostdone
07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks. I'll try either or both suggestions to see whats best for these specific cards. I'm not worried about the backs as much and there isn't really any resale value on any of them. I just wanted to clean them up a bit for basic presentation.
Thanks again,
Drew

almostdone
07-17-2011, 08:25 PM
I took a moist paper towel and put it into a zip lock bag then microwaved it for about 20 seconds. I then placed the bag over the stain for about 10 seconds and the wax just wiped off with a dry paper towel like it was dry dust. It worked great at least on the few I did it to. Just thought I would leave an update on the progress.
Drew