PDA

View Full Version : hank greenberg auto good?

chaddurbin
07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
sorry to bother but i'm just getting into autographs a bit. this one looks ok to the others i've compared to...but what do i know :confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190555010639

seller did guarantee that it'd pass psa/dna or jsa. just want everyone's opinion here before i do something stupid. usually i'd just look only for certified ones or at least the psa/dna slabs first.

earlywynnfan
07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Isn't the 100% Authentic Team another name for American Memorabilia? I don't know about the auto, but the source doesn't instill confidence.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

perezfan
07-16-2011, 11:50 AM
I think it's probably ok. And I am the last person to defend American Memorabilia...

AMI is more infamous for not paying consignors, failure to return calls, and rampant shill bidding than they are for offering bogus items. I think they (usually) are ok in terms of authenticity. It's all the other "sleaze factors" that would cause me to avoid them...

Not a big fan of the Sharpie signature, but I believe this Greenberg is authentic.

chaddurbin
07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
thx for the opinions, i'm still on the fence about it.

what's wrong with sharpie sigs?

earlywynnfan
07-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Sharpie sigs have a tendency to fade, yellow, bleed, or "fox" (look like it has a halo) after time. However, some will not, and there is no rhyme or reason as to which ones will. Greenberg was famous for using black sharpie, and to get a sig of his in pen will cost a premium.

My buying opinion is, if a sharpie sig still looks brand new after 10-15 years, you're probably good to go, and I've added to my own collection under this policy. Others may disagree, or have different experiences.

As for this particular sig, it looks just like mine, but I don't have the Greenberg experience others might.

Ken

perezfan
07-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Nothing's wrong with Sharpies (other than the potential aging issues pointed out above). Fountain Pen or Ballpoint is just a personal preference for me. I know that the more modern stuff is all sharpie-signed. I just like the more vintage "old school" look.

Regarding Greenberg, I would prefer a vintage signed Index Card perhaps matted with a B & W photo (as opposed to this modern looking piece). Again, that's just my personal opinion, FWIW.

chaddurbin
07-16-2011, 12:33 PM
alright guys very good information much appreciated!

maybe i'll do a psa/dna quick opinion if i decide to go for it. the regular authentication fee is $75 so that option is out.

Mr. Zipper
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Sharpie sigs have a tendency to fade, yellow, bleed, or "fox" (look like it has a halo) after time. However, some will not, and there is no rhyme or reason as to which ones will. Greenberg was famous for using black sharpie, and to get a sig of his in pen will cost a premium.

My buying opinion is, if a sharpie sig still looks brand new after 10-15 years, you're probably good to go, and I've added to my own collection under this policy. Others may disagree, or have different experiences.

As for this particular sig, it looks just like mine, but I don't have the Greenberg experience others might.

Ken

Actually, Sharpie changed their formula years ago and the yellow halo is a thing of the past. However, during Greenberg's lifetime, you are correct... those Sharpies had the halo effect.

flaco1801
07-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I wrote to Mr. Greenberg in the early 80's and his wife wrote back and said he was too ill to sign....

chaddurbin
07-16-2011, 11:00 PM
that's certainly interesting as i do see alot of these 1983 donruss cards certified by various authentication services out there.

Lordstan
07-17-2011, 07:40 AM
This one is mine. Looks pretty close to me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Hall%20of%20Fame%20Heroes%20Complete%20Autographed/Greenberg.jpg