PDA

View Full Version : Negro league Photo Help

Jason19th
07-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Showing that despite some amazing prices for negro league material in major auctions I have had a great couple of months on eBay. My latest is a group of photo's that picture a negro team and also the segregated seats for the black spectators. I am trying to determine if there is any chance that this is a photo of the Indianapolis ABC"s. My guess is based on the white man in the foreground. He bears a resemblance to the ABC's circa 1915 owner Thomas Bowser. I am wondering if anyone has any other ABC's images which show the owner or if anyone can recognize the stadium. Sorry for the large scans but I blew up the photos which are about 3X5 to try to see some added detail

bcbgcbrcb
07-15-2011, 05:01 AM
I agree that good deals on Negro League material can still be found, the escalating prices have been primarily on premium material such as the earliest Josh Gibson photo, Punch Mendez card, Chicago American Giants postcard, etc.

jboosted92
07-15-2011, 07:18 AM
have you guys ever seen one of these before? i got it a bit ago....

ramram
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Location is likely in the deep south based on the palm tree in the background.

Rob M.

jerseygary
07-15-2011, 02:43 PM
The deep south like Florida is a good guess, but I think it could be a Cuban or Dominican Republic team. The key would be to find out what that stadium is, the slatted back is distinctive enough that someone should be able to ID it. You can also look at it being in the Philippines, there were some quite good Army teams out there before WWI, Oscar Charleston being one of the Army ballplayers before he joined Indianapolis.