PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done if you caught Jeter's 3000th hit?

Brendan
07-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Since we're all discussing this situation, I thought it might be worthwhile to have a poll.

barrysloate
07-11-2011, 04:13 AM
I would sell it in a heartbeat. The ball means absolutely nothing to me, and I'm not completely sure it means all that much to Jeter either. He has enough mementos from his career.

murphusa
07-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Jeter made a he'll of a lot of money from the sale of 3000 hit item. If he wanted the ball he could buy it

Scott Garner
07-11-2011, 04:49 AM
No question that I would want it to end up in Derek's hands. That being said, I would work out a great deal that would involve game used Jeter and Mariano Rivera items and cash. I would try to negotiate in a friendly, civil way where I didn't come off as a terrorist.

If I was not able to work out a satisfactory deal, I would put the ball up for auction, without hesitation....

Brendan
07-11-2011, 05:01 AM
I would sell it in a heartbeat. The ball means absolutely nothing to me, and I'm not completely sure it means all that much to Jeter either. He has enough mementos from his career.

Couldn't agree more with this.

GrayGhost
07-11-2011, 05:17 AM
I think its going to end up in the Yankees museum at the stadium. I would have sold it via auction, if the Yankees wanted it that bad, they could have topped the bids.

Brendan
07-11-2011, 06:08 AM
I think its going to end up in the Yankees museum at the stadium. I would have sold it via auction, if the Yankees wanted it that bad, they could have topped the bids.

If that's the case, it better come with a plaque for the donater...because that's what he did....donated a million dollar baseball.

53Browns
07-11-2011, 06:17 AM
I'd put it up for auction. Jeter can bid with the rest.

GrayGhost
07-11-2011, 07:13 AM
If that's the case, it better come with a plaque for the donater...because that's what he did....donated a million dollar baseball.

Yeah, Id hope a plaque, maybe a pic w Jeter and Mr Lopez. Far as a "Million dollar ball", thats a bit optimistic, tho I think you were at least partly kidding.:)

murphusa
07-11-2011, 07:29 AM
and a year from now Steiner is having a sale on the Jeter Collection including his 3000th hit baseball with full documentation

Leon
07-11-2011, 07:51 AM
and a year from now Steiner is having a sale on the Jeter Collection including his 3000th hit baseball with full documentation

Yeap, he will get 375k and the poor guy who gave it to him probably has 25k in rewards.....Jeter probably makes 20m+ a yr......would he notice a few hundred k he could have given the guy?

olsport
07-11-2011, 07:57 AM
Gone are the days of a 3 million dollar 70th homerun ball of Mcguire. hehehe http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1917097_1917096_1917102,00.html That's alot of McFarland action figures! I wonder what that 70th juiced ball would go for today?
I would sell the Jeter ball in the next huge auction, before people forget, or some dirt somes out in the future on Jeter like has happened to many.

steve B
07-11-2011, 08:40 AM
That's a tough one. I think I'd have wanted to meet Jeter to talk about it. After that I think it would be a matter of attitude. If I got the impresion he felt it was owed to him then I'd probably negotiate pretty hard. If I got a sense that for him it was extremely meaningful I might just let him have it.

For the fan that caught the ball things may be totally diferent. I know there are a few players that if they made a major milestone and I was lucky enough to catch it I'd just give it to them. Many are retired now, but Varitek comes to mind, maybe Ortiz.

One of the things that's always amazed me about Jeter is how he's managed to stay fairly private through a long career in a huge media market. I think that's why so many see him as uncaring and money driven. He just hasn't made many statements of an emotional nature.

Steve B

baseballart
07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
As they always say at the ballpark: "Give it to a kid!"

;)

Exhibitman
07-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Sell. Sentiment is nice but business is business. For a peon like me a ball like that has the potential to yield life-changing money. If DJ wants it he can throw some of that $180 million my way. As for relative value, a 3,000 hit baseball is probably rarer than a 500 HR baseball since all of the HR balls are hit into the stands but only 2 of the 3,000 hit balls were HRs. And it is a hugely popular 1st ballot HOFer Yankee legend. I'd be surprised if the ball stayed under six figures if it was auctioned off. Sorry, but I am not going to hand over my kid's college education to a millionaire for a few signed trinkets and some box seats. That was probably the worst real estate deal in NYC since the Indians and Dutch did their Manhattan deal.

barrysloate
07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
I think the box seats deal is pretty lousy. How many games can this guy go to? Most fans, even devoted ones, go to a handful of games a year. Who wants to schlep to Yankee Stadium every single night of a long homestand? What if he only has time to see a few of them? I think he made a regrettable decision.

David Atkatz
07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
He's gonna be too busy paying off his college loans to go to many games.

David Atkatz
07-11-2011, 11:37 AM
BTW, option #4 above, is not "giving it to Jeter." It's selling it to Jeter.

murphusa
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
wait till April 15th 2012 comes around and the guys tax accountant is telling him he had an additional $35,000 in income from the tickets the Yanks gave him.

Then he will be saying what a %%)*&^)*^^_^$$ asshat I was giving him the ball

Brendan
07-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Id hope a plaque, maybe a pic w Jeter and Mr Lopez. Far as a "Million dollar ball", thats a bit optimistic, tho I think you were at least partly kidding.:)

Do you know how much press this got? It's New York. Some large corporation would have bought it for the publicity and to display on their wall for prospective clients. With a few of these guys bidding, who knows how high it could go.

Yeap, he will get 375k and the poor guy who gave it to him probably has 25k in rewards.....Jeter probably makes 20m+ a yr......would he notice a few hundred k he could have given the guy?
And when the seats cost about $5,000 per game, how is he going to afford that type of tax?

Mr. Zipper
07-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Sell. Sentiment is nice but business is business. For a peon like me a ball like that has the potential to yield life-changing money. If DJ wants it he can throw some of that $180 million my way. As for relative value, a 3,000 hit baseball is probably rarer than a 500 HR baseball since all of the HR balls are hit into the stands but only 2 of the 3,000 hit balls were HRs. And it is a hugely popular 1st ballot HOFer Yankee legend. I'd be surprised if the ball stayed under six figures if it was auctioned off. Sorry, but I am not going to hand over my kid's college education to a millionaire for a few signed trinkets and some box seats. That was probably the worst real estate deal in NYC since the Indians and Dutch did their Manhattan deal.

Agreed. As much as I like Jeter and wouldn't want to appear to be an opportunist, $100,000 is life changing money to most of us. For someone who makes tens of milions of dollars a year, throwing some kid $100k would be like me taking $50 out of my wallet.

The box seats were a joke because they were obviously unsold seats anyway. The signed bats, jerseys and balls are nice, but won't pay off a mortgage or fund many family vacations.

mcgwirecom
07-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm as big a baseball fan as anyone. In fact I just got back yesterday from a 10 ballparks in 10 days trip. But there is no way I would hand over that ball. Baseball is alive and healthy and makes lots of money. They are in business to make money and will even change the game to do it. If they want the ball they can bid like everyone else. Like mentioned in another thread, someone can buy it and give it back to him. He still has the bat, jersey, pants, hat, etc. It didn't take the Yankees an hour to flood the world with Jeter 3000 items at high prices...everyone is in it for the $$$

tothrk
07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Sell or auction without hesitation. It would be a lot of $$ to a guy like me & in this economy, it's a no-brainer. Besides, if the Yankees can spend a couple of hundred million dollars to buy championships, they can spend a couple hundred thousand on this ball. Here we go.:eek:

GasHouseGang
07-11-2011, 05:14 PM
According to Baseball Reference, Jeter has made $205,430,000 in his career to date. And he is being paid $15 million this year. That is only his Yankee salary and does not include his endorsements. Most of us will not make $15 million in our entire working career. I would sell the ball, pay the taxes, and use the remaining money to put my kids through college. If I have anything left over, I might take in a major league game and splurge on a hotdog and a beer. I have nothing against Jeter, but that's too much money to give away.

iwantitiwinit
07-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I would have told Jeter he had first shot at it for 200k, then told the Yankees 2nd shot for 250k, if still no I'm taking my chance at auction.

Brendan
07-12-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm as big a baseball fan as anyone. In fact I just got back yesterday from a 10 ballparks in 10 days trip. But there is no way I would hand over that ball. Baseball is alive and healthy and makes lots of money. They are in business to make money and will even change the game to do it. If they want the ball they can bid like everyone else. Like mentioned in another thread, someone can buy it and give it back to him. He still has the bat, jersey, pants, hat, etc. It didn't take the Yankees an hour to flood the world with Jeter 3000 items at high prices...everyone is in it for the $$$
Definitely. When people complain about how much these athletes make, you need to remember that there are 500-1000 hedge fund guys who make more each year than any athlete in the world, including Tiger Woods.
Sell or auction without hesitation. It would be a lot of $$ to a guy like me & in this economy, it's a no-brainer. Besides, if the Yankees can spend a couple of hundred million dollars to buy championships, they can spend a couple hundred thousand on this ball. Here we go.:eek:
The reason the Yankees spend so much money is because they are in it to win it. These other teams have just as much money as the Yankees do, (or at least enough to spend like the Yankees do) but they just keep the money in their pockets and make money off of revenue sharing. The owners may make money every year, but the value of the team doesn't increase. Yet the Yankees continue to go up in value. If more owners remembered that it takes money to make money, they could build great franchises out of nothing, such as the Phillies.
According to Baseball Reference, Jeter has made $205,430,000 in his career to date. And he is being paid $15 million this year. That is only his Yankee salary and does not include his endorsements. Most of us will not make $15 million in our entire working career. I would sell the ball, pay the taxes, and use the remaining money to put my kids through college. If I have anything left over, I might take in a major league game and splurge on a hotdog and a beer. I have nothing against Jeter, but that's too much money to give away.
Of course. His endorsements should easily topple his Major League contracts. I don't blame Jeter for not returning the ball- I blame the guy who caught it.

Jewish-collector
07-12-2011, 05:45 AM
I probably would consign it with Robert Edward Auctions.

Matthew H
07-12-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm not a Jeter fan... The ball would have left the park with me no question.

jpop43
07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
I've been to the Yankee Museum there at the Stadium several times now and, if I were the one to catch the ball, I would have asked the Director of Stadium Operations and Tours to accompany me up there with his key to the display cases.

No money at all would have needed to change hands, just a simple trade...Jeter's ball for a the game used Ruth bat of my chosing. If they weren't interested in swapping, I would have taken it home and added it to the collection until I was ready to sell or trade it.

David Atkatz
07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Problem is, Jonathan, none of the great stuff in the museum belongs to the Yankees. It's all on loan from collectors. (You really don't expect the Steinbrenners to actually invest in Yankee history, do you?)

Exhibitman
07-12-2011, 12:55 PM
The reason the Yankees spend so much money is because they are in it to win it. These other teams have just as much money as the Yankees do, (or at least enough to spend like the Yankees do) but they just keep the money in their pockets and make money off of revenue sharing.

Or they take $180 million of it to buy real estate, trinkets and lifestyle.

Go Dodgers...

PhilNap
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Problem is, Jonathan, none of the great stuff in the museum belongs to the Yankees. It's all on loan from collectors. (You really don't expect the Steinbrenners to actually invest in Yankee history, do you?)

As long as they continue to invest in winning thats all a fan can ask.

Brendan
07-12-2011, 10:49 PM
As long as they continue to invest in winning thats all a fan can ask.Hard to disagree with that. Why should the Yankees buy this stuff when they can just have it on loan from collectors? I'm not so sure about Steinbrenner's son though....doesn't look like he cares as much about winning as George.

David Atkatz
07-12-2011, 11:26 PM
The Yankee organization is interested in one thing, and one thing only.
Making money.
Winning is a means to that end. Buying historical Yankee memorabilia is not.
As Cashman says, baseball is a business. Anyone on this board has more of an interest--much more--in Yankee history and tradition, than the owners do.
(In fact, the owners have none.)
That would all be fine with me, if they didn't constantly proclaim otherwise.
"Pride and pinstripes," the cathedral of baseball," etc. Bullshit.

GKreindler
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Alright, I had to jump on...

Baseball is indeed a business to the Yankees, whether it yields winning or not. There was always money to be made when the team was doing well, be it through ticket sales or merchandising, but with the advent of things like the YES Network, revenue has skyrocketed.

Thinking about how 'Yankee Pride and Tradition' is packaged, one wonders how much MORE they would have made if players like Mantle and DiMaggio would have lived to be a part of it. Can you imagine the amount of money rolling in if those guys were wheeled out during Old Timer's Day, with the backing of millions who would had been watching their Yankeeographies to supplement the wonderful stories that they had heard from their fathers and grandfathers?

I think that's kind of why Jeter will always be so important to the team. I mean, he's been the face of the franchise since the late 90s, and he'll be the team's first superduperstar to reap the rewards from the YES Network. After he retires, lord knows the Yanks will be capitalizing off of that very idea until (and I suppose after) he passes. I can easily imagine Jeter coming out of the dugout during Old Timer's Day 2042, being introduced last with plenty of pomp and circumstance (just like DiMaggio had been), and of course, the capacity crowd at Yankee Stadium will be going mad, as will the billions of people watching at home. Those same people can tell their children that they saw the great man play, and if they want to relive those memories and even pass them on, all they need to do is watch a Yankeeography or a Yankee Classic - how about the July 1, 2004 game when Derek dives into the stands to make the play? Or, maybe his 2001 ALDS flip to Posada to nab the trailing Giambi? 3000th hit, anyone? It's all there and at your fingertips, and I can't even fathom how much that sort of thing is worth to the Yankees. With that in mind, I would imagine that keeping Jeter happy will be one of the team's prime concerns over the next 50 years, and I'd be lying if I said it had anything to do with 'tradition'.

But, then again, this all comes from a hypocrite who happily would spend $4.50 on a hot pretzel, while he watches his team play at the Stadium. Actually, I could go for one of those right now...

xdrx
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
At first glance I thought it was very cool of the fan to give the ball to Jeter. But that glance faded quickly. It would be very hard not to cash in on the opportunity. Hell, even if you don't need the money you could auction off the ball and give the proceeds to a worthy charity. As classy a stand up guy as Jeter seems to be, neither he nor the Yankees qualify as a "worthy charity".

PhilNap
07-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Making money.
As Cashman says, baseball is a business. Anyone on this board has more of an interest--much more--in Yankee history and tradition, than the owners do.

How else would you expect them to promote their business? Their history is their biggest asset and they would be fools not to exploit it. Whether they genuinely embrace it or not. Sure the Steiner commercials and emails immediately after the 3000th hit are tacky but this is the world we live in. Why take it personal?

David Atkatz
07-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't take it personally, Phil. But I don't have to embrace the bullshit, do I?

PhilNap
07-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't take it personally, Phil. But I don't have to embrace the bullshit, do I?

Absolutely not. Ya just seemed a bit angered by it, that's all.

sylbry
07-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Ok, let's assume that the tickets and such are not treated as a gift, thus subject to income taxes based on their value. Wouldn't that in turn establish a value on the ball for which Jeter now has to pay income tax? Not that it matters to him much.

packs
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
I would have kept the ball for myself and sold it, probably to a private collector rather than at auction. I would think a private collector would pay above the projected auction price just to keep the ball from going to auction.

Reasoning: Jeter has been extremely fortunate in his life. He has God given talent, good health, the opportunity to play on a winning team, and the ability to provide for his family. He has taken full advantage of all of those opportunities.

Why should I feel any different for being fortunate enough to catch the ball?

benderbroeth
07-13-2011, 09:17 PM
alot of people seem to think he will owe a ton in taxes because he got the box seats and such..but could he not claim a huge loss because the ball was worth far more than what he got????

anywho i would say here is the deal jeter you get to buy it for $250,000 plus any taxes i may owe on the ball....

benderbroeth
07-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I would have kept the ball for myself and sold it, probably to a private collector rather than at auction. I would think a private collector would pay above the projected auction price just to keep the ball from going to auction.

Reasoning: Jeter has been extremely fortunate in his life. He has God given talent, good health, the opportunity to play on a winning team, and the ability to provide for his family. He has taken full advantage of all of those opportunities.

Why should I feel any different for being fortunate enough to catch the ball?

i love this answer myself

Gary Dunaier
07-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Making money.

Quite agree.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4428653164_cfaaca56fc_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4483309824_8f11a6bb33_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4561678891_b0aec4613f_z.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1428/5113024522_e5a607ed2c_z.jpg
October 24, 2010

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6054/5914325710_33f7d463f0_z.jpg
July 4, 2011

Brendan
07-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Who knows, maybe the guy will get a really good job and make more money than he would have if he sold it. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Companies-offer-to-pay-taxes-Martinez-owes-for-J?urn=mlb-wp12669

David Atkatz
07-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Excellent photos, Gary. Point very well made.

Exhibitman
07-14-2011, 10:52 AM
As noted in the other thread, looks like the kid is making out OK. Miller and Steiner have offered to kick in the cover his taxes and pay down some of his student loans, he's gotten a 2009 WS ring from Steiner, offers to do memorabilia, he will be on a Topps card, and he will choose the Jeter photo for Jeter's 2012 Topps card. And more likely to come. Perhaps he will be able to cash in on it indirectly and do as well as if he'd sold the ball. Wouldn't that be poetic justice?

Gary Dunaier
07-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Bumping the thread (it's one day short of a year since the last post) because I found something interesting on the Steiner website - a ball signed by Jeter and Christian Lopez...

http://www.steinersports.com/steiner-images/skus/JETEBAS000060_large_IMAGE1_156916.jpg

Price $774.99. (link (http://www.steinersports.com/derek-jeter-and-christian-lopez-dual-signed-mlb-baseball-mlb-auth.html))

The same ball, with only Jeter's signature, is $699.99. That means Steiner feels Lopez' autograph is worth $75.00. :eek: (On the other hand, let's be fair to Steiner - Lopez' signature does include an inscription).

Comment as you see fit.

Bigdaddy
07-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I'd hit the cutoff man...

Mr. Zipper
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Quite agree.

October 24, 2010

July 4, 2011

The irony of the image of a dying Babe Ruth standing in silent observation as Yankee Stadium is demolished.

AMAZINHOFCOLLECTOR
07-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I went to my son's Little League All Star game and Christian Lopez was there working for Modells Sporting Goods. Modells offered him a job (not sure what his official function is) and now he is a kind of celebrity. Yankee fans were lining up to take a picture with him.

Gary Dunaier
07-15-2012, 11:46 PM
The irony of the image of a dying Babe Ruth standing in silent observation as Yankee Stadium is demolished.

Exactly why I selected that vantage point.

Exhibitman
07-17-2012, 07:07 AM
Quite agree.

October 24, 2010

July 4, 2011

I am not above admitting that the first thing I thought of on seeing these excellent photos is that I wonder how I could get a piece of it for my collection to go with my 1976 W.S. ticket and program from the game I attended. Is that wrong?

smotan_02
07-17-2012, 07:10 AM
That location is now a little league field, possibly the least money making item per square foot that can go in that prime real estate. While I believe in the ability of the franchise to make money, what a great investment in the future of baseball.

Bicem
07-17-2012, 09:19 AM
sold it, I hate Jeter.

iwantitiwinit
07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Went to the 3000th hit game. Spent at least 1k for tix and beer, food and parking. My answer, show me the money.

PS wouldn't trade the experience though. Never saw my wife so excited in my life. She is watching the Yanks with me now up 3-0 v. Toronto. Before that game all I heard is..."are the Yankees on again? Again? For chrissake.!!!!!