PDA

View Full Version : Let the bidding begin, how high can it go?

RichardSimon
07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Derek Jeter's 3000 hit was a home run and wound up in the hands of someone wearing a Yankee cap in the left field stands.
Let the bidding begin :D
Any guesses as to how high it will go?

novakjr
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think it leaves the Stadium...I'm pretty sure the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package to get it for Derek..

David Atkatz
07-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Ridiculous is right. The "package" will be worth far, far less than the ball's market value.

RichardSimon
07-09-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't think it leaves the Stadium...I'm pretty sure the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package to get it for Derek..

To quote Brian Cashman, the Yanks GM, "this is a business" when they asked him why he would not schedule a one admission doubleheader for today due to last nights rainout. There was an attempt by the Yankees to schedule a day-night doubleheader, obviously with two admissions.
I doubt if the Yankees will put together some ridiculous package for this ball, but I could be wrong.
I am sure the guy who caught it knows there is a big fat check waiting for him now.

novakjr
07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Wow! He gave it back for nothing...They gave him a pretty cool package anyway.. No where near it's worth. But cool nonetheless.

RichardSimon
07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Very cool, they are interviewing him on TV now and he seems like a real fan and a nice guy.
They did give him a nice package, season tickets for the rest of the season incl. World Series and some memorabilia items.
There are already Steiner ads on TV selling commemorative bats for $129.99, get 'em while they're hot.

dherm360
07-09-2011, 01:17 PM
I have already gotten three emails from Steiner selling a ball, framed jersey, bat and litho each autographed for 5900.00

RichardSimon
07-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I have already gotten three emails from Steiner selling a ball, framed jersey, bat and litho each autographed for 5900.00

The true meaning of $$$3000$$$ $$$hits$$$.

thetruthisoutthere
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Very cool interview with the gentleman that caught the ball. The Steinbrenner's took care of him immediately. The guy didn't want anything (except maybe a Jeter signed bat) and he was rewarded. I'm sure he'll get some autographed items from Derek.

What a day for Derek. He gets hit number 3,000 on a home-run and drives in the winning run. No one could have scripted it any better.

David Atkatz
07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Ya know, Derek is building a gazillion-square foot mansion in Florida. Here was this guy's chance to make his own family's life a bit easier, and he just gives it away. Should Derek have the ball? Of course. But Derek can well afford to pay for the ball, and he wouldn't miss one red cent. Shit, 1/10 of what Derek's gonna make on all the "3000 hit" crap would have set the poor slob up for life.

David Atkatz
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Oh, boy! Just received this email. Don't know why I received it--I certainly never expressed any interest in his manufactured crap. (Hope Brandon remembers to pay Derek his fair share.)

Trying To Order Derek Jeter 3000th Hit Product Over The Phone? Please Call One Of Our Reps Directly

Thank You for your interest in our Derek Jeter 3,000th hit product line, we want to take a moment to congratulate Derek Jeter once again. If, for any reason, you are having trouble reaching Steiner Sports through the 1-800-759-SCORE number, please contact your or any representative at their direct number below. Reps will be in the office until 7 PM Saturday July 9th and from 10 AM - 4PM on Sunday July 10th to field any questions, take orders or anything you may need.

Brett Schissler - 914 307 1075
Mike Tanella - 914 307 1012
Efrain Reyes - 914 307 1042
Eric Schwager - 914 307 1009
Corey Keyes - 914 307 1112
Joe Groglio - 914 307 1126
Ken McQuade - 914 307 1056
Chris Gabriele - 914 307 1015
Steve Blackman - 914 307 1026
JJ Molesso - 914 307 1057
Nick Tranfaglia - 914 307 1082
AJ Romeo 914 307 1100
Sean Mahoney - 914 307 1023
Brooks Cowan - 914 307 1004
Liz Martin - 914 307 1022
Justin Kramer - 914 307 1016
Crystal De Jesus - 914 307 1032
Noah Liiv - 914 307 1064
Zachary Karow - 914 307 1030

-

www.steinersports.com

Scott Garner
07-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Very cool interview with the gentleman that caught the ball. The Steinbrenner's took care of him immediately. The guy didn't want anything (except maybe a Jeter signed bat) and he was rewarded. I'm sure he'll get some autographed items from Derek.

What a day for Derek. He gets hit number 3,000 on a home-run and drives in the winning run. No one could have scripted it any better.

I believe that Jeter is only the 2nd major leaguer to hit a HR for hit # 3,000. Wade Boggs was the 1st, BTW....

thetruthisoutthere
07-09-2011, 03:34 PM
I believe that Jeter is only the 2nd major leaguer to hit a HR for hit # 3,000. Wade Boggs was the 1st, BTW....

Absolutely correct, Scott.

By the way, I would never buy anything from Steiner.

iwantitiwinit
07-09-2011, 04:32 PM
David that move by Steiner and indirectly the Yankees cheapens the gesture made by the fan who caught Jeter's ball. I just emailed the Yankees informing them how classless that solicitation was. If I get a response I'll post it later.

Wihawk
07-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Absolutely correct, Scott.

By the way, I would never buy anything from Steiner.

I won't try again. Never got my auto ball and after repeated e-mails, I get 1 response saying it shipped 3 days(yeah sure they did) before they ran it through my CC. Lucky I could reverse the charges.

flaco1801
07-09-2011, 10:09 PM
before he gave the ball away he should have had a talk with steiner.... steiner prolly would have gotten him 1% share of ballclub.... the organazation knows they "stole" the ball from a fan... jeter makes 17 mill a year? that one game is more than 2 years salary for the fan and he gets what? the fans have to learn how to be greedy like the players... that ball was a lottery winning....just pisses me off how they take advantage of fans.... the players are probably having a good laugh...

RichardSimon
07-10-2011, 06:47 AM
before he gave the ball away he should have had a talk with steiner.... steiner prolly would have gotten him 1% share of ballclub.... the organazation knows they "stole" the ball from a fan... jeter makes 17 mill a year? that one game is more than 2 years salary for the fan and he gets what? the fans have to learn how to be greedy like the players... that ball was a lottery winning....just pisses me off how they take advantage of fans.... the players are probably having a good laugh...

Shocking as it might be, the fan's gesture seems to be a noble one, and he wanted all along to give the ball to Jeter.
Though he probably knew he was giving away a lot of money, he did not care.
Of all the people inolved in the $$$3000$$$ hit moment he is the one who comes out looking as good as anyone.

benjulmag
07-10-2011, 08:16 AM

Players having a good laugh at a gesture by a person who probably feels pretty good about himself for what he did??!! Seems to me that if that is the case, I feel pretty sorry for those players. I suspect this person has a pretty good sense of what its all about and what gives a person true meaning and happiness in life.

flaco1801
07-10-2011, 08:44 AM
yeah and why did jeter hold out for more money when he was offered 10 million? he wanted 17 million.....wonder who the greedy people are? yeah he did the right thing, maybe jeter should have followed suit... ya think? just like the players say... you just get one payday, make it good...

calvindog
07-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Jeter will sell tons of memorabilia related to his 3000th hit --- and make a ton of money from it. Yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? The Yankees refused to give up one game's receipts as a gesture to their fans who missed Friday's game due to a rainout because, as Cashman said, 'we run a baseball business" -- yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? What a double standard. Jeter should have either given the guy a significant sum of cash or set up some trust for the guy's future kids or SOMETHING. Why is that a fan has to be noble to get respect but Jeter and the Yankees can continue to be pigs at the trough -- and we all expect such behavior?

RichardSimon
07-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Jeter giving the guy some serious money would have been the right thing to do but do you really expect that will happen?
Probably not.

Brendan
07-10-2011, 11:44 AM

1% of the Yankees or being noble?

I'm thinking...

The guy gave Jeter the baseball because he "earned it." While he was earning it, he's made 100x more money than you will probably make in your life. I'm sorry, but as much as I want to be "noble," why would you just give it away? You could give it to Jeter, but at least work something out that's better than tickets for the rest of the season.

flaco1801
07-10-2011, 12:03 PM
jeter makes roughly 35k an at bat... 5 at bats for the day=175,000 noble indeed... shameful... its outright theft, the yankees and jeter knew how valuable that ball is/was and offering tickets for the remaining games is criminal, without being represented by counsel. the yankee motto should be TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FANS... and by the way did the season tickets include free parking?

Matthew H
07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
At least the fan wasn't at Dodger Stadium, he would have had to throw the ball back in :D

D. Bergin
07-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Wow, guess Jeter should have just drag bunted a single for his 3000th hit.

Would have made things much less complicated I guess.

Now he's a villain for not paying auction house high market value to get his ball back from a fan who wanted nothing in return.

:confused:

Matthew H
07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Yeah... I guess so :confused:

olsport
07-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Just a repeat of what most have said on here, is my opinion as well. Sell the 3000 hit ball. These multi, multi, multi million dollar players could afford to buy there ball for millions if they wanted it that bad. My guess is they wouldn't want it that bad anyway. Jeter already has the 3000th hit Jersey and bat anyway. Look at all the major awards and equipment the major sports stars put up at auction anyway. Many who won them no longer care to own most of it. From there Gold glove, MVP award, world series trophy & ring, ect. Most of it ends up at the auction block, because the players themselves realize how insane of prices people will pay. It's kind of funny how badly people want awards that were not won by themselves also. Yes, I realize it's there hero that they look up to them. Whatever makes people Happy!:)

Can others share stories of players and capitalizing on there memorabilia? One that comes to mind for me is when Pete Rose was going to break Ty Cobb's record, I heard he wore a different uniform each inning to sell them. Is this true?

novakjr
07-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Now he's a villain for not paying auction house high market value to get his ball back from a fan who wanted nothing in return.

:confused:

It's too bad that number 3000 didn't look something like Fausto Carmona last week.

http://1045theteam.com/fausto-carmona-falls-and-tumbles-video/

mayx2
07-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I'll bet that that guy has second thoughts after some reflection on his noble deed!:eek: Lou

Rickyy
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
The guy is happy right? All that matters. The end.

Jay Wolt
07-10-2011, 03:22 PM
The guy is happy right? All that matters. The end.
Exactly!
He becomes a celebrity and hangs out w/ Jeter on his historic day.
You can't put that into $

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/07/10/070911-MLB-New-York-Yankees-Derek-Jeter-fan-PI_2011071000173554_660_320.JPG

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 03:36 PM

:confused:That's right. He's a villain for taking advantage of the poor schmuck.

Remember 1961? (I know fifty years is a long time.) Sal Durante, who caught Maris' 61st, offered to give it to Maris, even though a California restaurateur had a standing offer of $5k for the ball. Maris wouldn't accept the ball, and told Durante--who was about to get married and start a family--to sell it.

Class acts, all around.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Jeter will sell tons of memorabilia related to his 3000th hit --- and make a ton of money from it. Yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? The Yankees refused to give up one game's receipts as a gesture to their fans who missed Friday's game due to a rainout because, as Cashman said, 'we run a baseball business" -- yet this guy is 'noble' for giving the ball to Derek for free? What a double standard. Jeter should have either given the guy a significant sum of cash or set up some trust for the guy's future kids or SOMETHING. Why is that a fan has to be noble to get respect but Jeter and the Yankees can continue to be pigs at the trough -- and we all expect such behavior?+1

yanks12025
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
I think its pretty bad how some of you are acting and blaming the Yankees and Jeter for no reason. The guy didn't want money, he knew what it is worth before hand. So after the guy said no to money, Jeter nor the Yankees should have to give money.

Jeter didn't take advantage of shit, the guy gave him the ball. So why should Jeter then give money for when he didnt ask for anything... End of story

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Did you see my post, Brock? Durante didn't want any money, either.

Maris knew the right thing to do.

yanks12025
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes I saw your post. But because Jeter didn't off money that doesn't make him a villain or ripped the guy off or anything.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Uhh... Yeah, he did rip the guy off. He took advantage of the guy's hero worship. What would it have cost him to do the right thing? He certainly has no compunction against disappointing his fans by holding out for all he can get. He just couldn't get anymore elsewhere.

yanks12025
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
David,
He did not rip him off. Jeter has no obligation to pay the guy when the guy is giving him the ball and asked for nothing in return. It doesn't matter if Jeter makes 17 million or 10 bucks. And how do we know that something wasnt exchanged behind closed doors.

thetruthisoutthere
07-10-2011, 07:27 PM
The truth is we have no idea if Derek has already done something (aside from the 6-8 autograph items that I believe he gave the gentleman) or will do something for Mr. Lopez. There is a good chance that something will be done in a very discreet fashion.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
No. He's not obligated to be other than a selfish narcissistic prick.
But he could be otherwise if he wanted to.

That poor schmuck is the same guy Jeter ignores when he begs for an autograph on a Manhattan street. Yet it's fine with Jeet for the poor slob to sacrifice his own financial future for one moment in the spotlight with his smiling idol.

F#*k him.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 07:33 PM
The truth is we have no idea if Derek has already done something (aside from the 6-8 autograph items that I believe he gave the gentleman) or will do something for Mr. Lopez. There is a good chance that something will be done in a very discreet fashion.Yeah, right. These guys pay publicists hundreds of thousands a year so that they can avoid good publicity.

thetruthisoutthere
07-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, right. These guys pay publicists hundreds of thousands a year so that they can avoid good publicity.

Derek has never been one for publicity and I do believe that something will be done by Derek for Mr. Christian in a discreet manner.

I'm sure glad I don't have your attitude, David.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 07:47 PM
You're free to believe whatever you want. My attitude? I'm sick to death of spending $400+ to take my kids to one stinkin' ballgame, while these guys build themselves gaziliion-square-foot mansions, sell their fans millions of dollars worth of manufactured celebratory crap, and all the while having as little contact with their fans--the people who make it all possible--as they possibly can.

Once again, f#@k 'em.

thetruthisoutthere
07-10-2011, 07:55 PM
You're free to believe whatever you want. My attitude? I'm sick to death of spending $400+ to take my kids to one stinkin' ballgame, while these guys build themselves gaziliion-square-foot mansions, sell their fans millions of dollars worth of manufactured celebratory crap, and all the while having as little contact with their fans--the people who make it all possible--as they possibly can.

Once again, f#@k 'em.

Well, Dave, then stop going to games. These ballplayers get what they get because they can.

Dave, if you go to work tomorrow and your boss decides to triple your salary, are you going to refuse the salary increase?

I no longer go to games anymore because the prices are outrageous and I won't pay it. Whether it be the price of a ticket, parking or hot dogs, it's all ridiculous.

David Atkatz
07-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Chris, I don't care if I never go to another game. Luckily for me, I was a kid at the right time. I spent much of that time at the real Yankee Stadium, going to games, and/or hanging out at the player's entrance, getting autographs. Those times are long gone, and the Stadium is, too.

But my kids, who don't know any better, want to go to the ballpark. Should I say no?

thetruthisoutthere
07-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Chris, I don't care if I never go to another game. Luckily for me, I was a kid at the right time. I spent much of that time at the real Yankee Stadium, going to games, and/or hanging out at the player's entrance, getting autographs. Those times are long gone, and the Stadium is, too.

But my kids, who don't know any better, want to go to the ballpark. Should I say no?

Dave, times have changed. Friends have told me that the new stadium isn't as nearly as noisy as it once was and that's probably due to the fact that the blue-collar (and some white-collar) working people can no longer afford to go there any more.

Watch the game on TV and as the camera scans the stadium all you see are people on the cell phones; they aren't even paying attention to the game.

"The times they are a changin."

Matthew H
07-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I think its pretty bad how some of you are acting and blaming the Yankees and Jeter for no reason. The guy didn't want money, he knew what it is worth before hand. So after the guy said no to money, Jeter nor the Yankees should have to give money.

Jeter didn't take advantage of shit, the guy gave him the ball. So why should Jeter then give money for when he didnt ask for anything... End of story

I'm not sure the guy knew how much that ball was worth... Not everybody knows the crazy money people pay for these things.

Fuddjcal
07-11-2011, 12:28 AM

Once again, f#@k 'em.

While I'm not sure what I'd do with it, I feel your pain David.

As a life long Dodger fan who cancelled season tickets years ago. First, cut to a 20 game package, then a 10 game, then ala carte 5 games a year till McCourt came. Then I was done. I use the extra money now to collect.

The $15 parking got me at the time when he increased it from $7. So, I mostly travel to a ballpark or 2 a year and don't go to Dodger Stadium anymore despite the fact that my Dad worked on the building of it, amongst many more "unbelievable" memories. But they will have to stay memories.

I might have kept the ball for a little while at least to see how many special favors I could get from the wife, she's a Yankee Fan.

brownscollector78
07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
how about demanding favors from one of derek jeter's assuredly hot girlfriends? :eek: :D

calvindog
07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
The Yankees do nothing for their fans but suck their blood. It's sad but it's true. How many "3000 hit" t-shirts, baseballs, mugs, commemorative plaques, hats, etc. were on sale within minutes after Derek got the hit? The Yankees -- and Jeter -- are going to make zillions off it and they are the last on earth who need more money. And yet this poor kid is only getting his 15 minutes? And some signed items? How about Derek's signature on a check? I know it's unseemly to turn this just into a money grab...but isn't that what the Yankees do to us 365 days a year? Why shouldn't turnabout be fair play? Just one time!

benjulmag
07-11-2011, 09:23 AM
The guy feels good about what he did, yet he's being criticized for it. How does the saying go-no good deed goes unpunished. Yes, I get it; the Yankees and Jeter are blood suckers out for the last buck any way they can get it. So all of us then are to stoop to that level. That's fine and I'd certainly be the last person to criticize anybody for doing that. In fact, I am so incensed about what tickets/parking/hot dogs/you-name-it cost that had I been in that fan's position I question whether I would have been so magnanimous. But he choose to take a different path, the high road I might call it. And I think he should be commended for it. Who knows, maybe the example he sets might encourage others to reciprocate in kind.

calvindog
07-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Corey, no one is really criticizing the kid. What he's doing is really stellar; it's the Yankees (and all of MLB) which have turned a kids game into the money-obsessed machine it has become. Even in the days of skin-flint owners they still permitted real doubleheaders which cost them a day's gate receipts. Now? They don't exist anymore due to greed. I just think that the idea of giving the kid a few signed jerseys is sort of laughable when you see how the Yankees will fleece their fans by selling them $30 hats emblazoned with "DJ3K" on them. Why can't decency be a two-way street? For once?

barrysloate
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
Jeter should have done what Maris did- refuse to accept the ball and tell the kid to sell it and make his life a little easier. I heard he has 100K in student loans he hasn't yet paid back. That's a lot of debt for a kid in his twenties. Yes, he did a very nice thing and we shouldn't criticize him. I blame Jeter for taking it for nothing.

Matthew H
07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
That kid probably can't even afford the taxes on the "generous gift" the yankees gave him. They are scumbags, IMO, they did take advantage of hero worship... I think there may be a little hero worship on this board too.

Edit: I'd like to add that Jeter already had his 3000 hit bat and jersey. He didn't need to take the ball from that penniless kid, he should be embarrassed... I know I would.

Exhibitman
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
A few observations:

I don't think it is a "high road" to give Jeter the ball. My feeling is that the fan--a young guy with debts just starting out in life--is a schmuck for handing over a very valuable windfall to a multi-millionaire celeb rather than taking the money and getting a leg up in his life. His decision to give it away for a pittance makes him a fool, not a role model. That said, I don't think he was taken advantage of to the degree that some suggest. The guy went through a rugby scrum to get the ball and was whisked away by security so the team could lean on him to give it up. Unless he is a complete pinhead [which is possible] he had to know that the ball was very valuable. He wasn't coerced, he made a deal.

As for Jeter, I don't feel he is getting a fair shake from either side in the discussion. While I don't condemn Jeter for not writing a check unsolicited, I also don't lionize him simply because his public persona isn't that of an avaricious, nasty pig. I agree that Maris did the right thing in 1961, and that it would have been nice for Jeter to make a heavy financial gesture to the fan, but we don't know what went on behind closed doors. For all we know a check was offered and rejected. I think we assume the worst because of history. This is the era of grab what you can get, everyone for themselves, all business all the time, and Jeter has never been other than a creature of his era. He sells his signature for big money that he doesn't even really need rather than, say, signing stacks of photos and responding to fan mail with free autographs, ransoms the team for as much money as he can, etc. It only seems natural that he'd act like that in every other facet of his business life.

As for the Yankees, again, my feelings are mixed. The Yankees realized the value of the item and gave the kid something expensive in return, but it didn't cost them squat. Now, if the Yankees also gross up the items to pay the poor bastard's income taxes on the ticket package, that would be more impressive than handing over some empty seats for the rest of the season.

I also have to point out that what many here assume that Jeter and the Yankees did is exactly what I do every day at the National and as often as I can on Ebay and auctions, which is try to make the best deal I can on something I want. Taking down a mischaracterized item on Ebay for a pittance or getting a rare variation for a common price because the seller didn't know what he was selling is the same idea, just on a different scale. If I'd pulled off a trade like the one Jeter made I'd post it here and be congratulated on the great deal.

yanks12025
07-11-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry, I love all you guys and were all great help in our hobby. But this is a joke what you guys are saying. Say the guy asked for $25000 and jetted paid. Would he still have ripped this guy off. No because jeter pretty much paid what the guys wishes were. Why should he have to offer more when it wasn't asked for?

David Atkatz
07-11-2011, 04:03 PM
The only joke is how this fan was treated.

calvindog
07-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Brock, I received an email from Steiner today with about 398 different "Jeter 3000 hit" items for sale, all ridiculously priced. The Yankees and Jeter have no respect for themselves or their fans with such BS. Why do they expect it from the fan?

slidekellyslide
07-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Corey, no one is really criticizing the kid. What he's doing is really stellar; it's the Yankees (and all of MLB) which have turned a kids game into the money-obsessed machine it has become. Even in the days of skin-flint owners they still permitted real doubleheaders which cost them a day's gate receipts. Now? They don't exist anymore due to greed. I just think that the idea of giving the kid a few signed jerseys is sort of laughable when you see how the Yankees will fleece their fans by selling them $30 hats emblazoned with "DJ3K" on them. Why can't decency be a two-way street? For once?

The Yankees will charge what the market will accept...pure capitalism. Don't be mad because Yankee fans are stupid. :D And yeah, while I think the gesture by that kid was noble, I think he's rather stupid for not fleecing the Yankees right back. If I'd caught that ball it'd be on the auction block right now.

yanks12025
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
So David, say there was an item on ebay that you wanted to buy and it was listed at $1,200. But you knew it was worth $2,000. So you bought it at $1,200, aren't you technically ripping that seller off then. I'm sure you've bought a item under market value. Now you can't say that the seller came up with the price so it's not ripping him off. The guy came up with the price that you wanted nothing for the ball.

glchen
07-13-2011, 01:58 PM
It looks like he's going to get his own Topps baseball card, a 2009 WS ring, and I'm sure people from the board with be happy with, at least 25K from Steiner Sports! Link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6765849/companies-line-help-new-york-yankees-fan-christian-lopez)

benjulmag
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Wouldn't it be a nice postscript to the story if, at the end of the day, enough people come forward to reward the kid for his action that he ends up getting more than he would have if he had auctioned the item? Maybe there is a moral to this story?;)

David Atkatz
07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Who'da thunk it? Even Steiner has more class than Jeter or the Yankees!

calvindog
07-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, Steiner and Miller are doing it for PR purposes but I agree, at least they're doing something. And it's not like the Yankees would be doing anything for the kid for reasons other than good PR. Pitiful.

PS -- On my radio show on Saturday I'm going to discuss this issue: did the Yankees and Jeter handle the kid correctly? 10-noon EST on 970 AM in NYC or www.am970theapple.com. At least I'll get some intelligent callers on the issue instead of Ruth from the Bronx who I have to hang up a lot on because she's nuts.

Scott Garner
07-13-2011, 08:30 PM
It looks like he's going to get his own Topps baseball card, a 2009 WS ring, and I'm sure people from the board with be happy with, at least 25K from Steiner Sports! Link (http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6765849/companies-line-help-new-york-yankees-fan-christian-lopez)

Modells has also kicked in $25 K. The story is getting better all the time...

Matthew H
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Modells has also kicked in $25 K. The story is getting better all the time...

Has Jeter kicked in yet?

RichardSimon
07-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Well, Steiner and Miller are doing it for PR purposes but I agree, at least they're doing something. And it's not like the Yankees would be doing anything for the kid for reasons other than good PR. Pitiful.

PS -- On my radio show on Saturday I'm going to discuss this issue: did the Yankees and Jeter handle the kid correctly? 10-noon EST on 970 AM in NYC or www.am970theapple.com. At least I'll get some intelligent callers on the issue instead of Ruth from the Bronx who I have to hang up a lot on because she's nuts.

+1

Exhibitman
07-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Has Jeter kicked in yet?

Now that's funny!

calvindog
07-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Brandon Steiner will be a guest on my show tomorrow from 10--noon EST on 970 AM in NYC and www.AM970theApple.com. This should be interesting.

Mr. Zipper
07-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Brandon Steiner will be a guest on my show tomorrow from 10--noon EST on 970 AM in NYC and www.AM970theApple.com. This should be interesting.

Do you podcast the show?