PDA

View Full Version : Larry Frisch Cards..what happened ??

hangman62
07-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Long Time collector....travels for work.....was in StevensPoint Wisc....store/home of the late dealer Larry Frisch...was very disapointed to find..no longer has "brick and motar " store....all internet now....but go to the site....awful..they list very few cards..when I called and asked about that..they said.."we have billions of cards..too many to put on a web site" ??? WHAT .... They told me " we have everything,whatevr you want ,we have it ! " ..but very confusing as to how you buy/look at the cards ??.. I get the impression they want to to buy cards..sight unseen ??
Also not thrilled with their pricing..they list 30s Goudey cards..with a square corner cut off..and asking 30-40 for no name commons..with a chunk missing, I think I'll stick to ebay.....

jcmtiger
07-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Pretty sure His son now runs the business. They do have tons of cards, not sure how many are pre WWII though. They are old school.

Joe

drc
07-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Didn't know they ever had a brick and mortar store. Not saying they didn't, just didn't know they did.

chris6net
07-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Larry was one of the first real dealers as most everyone knows. I am sure from what I am reading once he passed his family tried to modernize the business and it will never be the same.
P.S. I remember buying my 1970-74 sets from him and then trying to put my own sets together from packs. (Putting a set together from packs was a lot more fun than having the whole set series by series)CN

sbfinley
07-09-2011, 01:49 AM
I still get their catalogs a couple of times a year. It's great to flip through as I enjoy that type of thing, but I've only made one purchase from them and that was years ago. I'm glad that the family decided to continue the business, and I think the niche that they cornered with reprint and oddball sets more covers their operating costs. IF they ever do decide to sell out it will be one heck of a fire sell.

Ladder7
07-09-2011, 05:05 AM
Those reprints caused many new collectors a lot of grief.

Jewish-collector
07-09-2011, 05:46 AM
I believe that a small portion of their inventory was in an auction house catalog a few years ago (maybe unopened material ???). If they ever decide to sell everything else all at once, the auction catalog might be like 12 inches thick. :eek:

Peter_Spaeth
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Does anyone remember a New Hampshire (I think) dealer named Doloff? Similar type of business, catalog sales, although perhaps not on the same massive scale.

theuclakid
07-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Peter, yes I remember Doloff (Richard?).....that was quite a long time ago...what happened to him? Bruce Perry

leftygrove10
07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Peter, yes I remember Doloff (Richard?).....that was quite a long time ago...what happened to him? Bruce Perry

Dolloff is still selling cards through his catalogs.

tbob
07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
The mystery about Fritsch Cards is what do they really have? At one time Larry bought out the entire collection of John England which was in the millions of dollars and included arguably the best collection of Zeenuts East of Mark Macrae, along with many, many sets of prewar tobacco and caramel cards. Supposedly these went in to Larry's personal collection and were not parceled for sale. Supposedly. It would be interesting for curiosity's sake to know if this is true and Larry's family still has the great personal collection they once had or if these went in to the cards which were sold through the years. :confused:

Jay Wolt
07-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Here's their website http://www.fritschcards.com/

There's a link in the website where you can request a catalog, if that suits anyone

U240robert
07-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Does anyone remember a New Hampshire (I think) dealer named Doloff? Similar type of business, catalog sales, although perhaps not on the same massive scale.

I remember Doloff. I bought cards off of him in SCD ages ago.
Larry Fritsch was one of the first dealers I bought cards from.
I remember paying $20 for a '75 topps set around 1977.
Over the years though his prices got to be a bit high and I seldom bought from him anymore.

Den*nis O*Brien
07-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Didn't know they ever had a brick and mortar store. Not saying they didn't, just didn't know they did.

Larry and his son Jeff had a very nice retail store close to the banks of the Wisconsin River in the 1980's until Larry's passing. They had quite a few glass display cases with pre-war to modern cards displayed. The walls were filled with pennants, shelves of balls and other memorabilia. They maintained an area of hobby periodicals and referance books. This was a place to lean on the counter and talk cards with a very interesting person. There was an adjacent warehouse bldg. that housed the bulk of the inventory. In order to peruse a specific pre-war issue, a phone call 3 days (or so) in advance, was necessary so they could dig out and bring the material over to the retail store. Since the store was 2 1/2 hours south of me I only visited twice a year. On one occasion I asked to look over his Plowboys and 1910 Obaks. Upon arrival Larry threw the stack of Plowboys across and down the showcase like he was dealing cards in poker. Each of the cards was without a top loader and had thier prices afixed with post it notes. The obaks were in penny sleeves and in a cardboard box. Larry did not differentiate between 150 subjects and 175 subjects. Every card was the same price no matter the estimated grade. Regarding the reprint line....one of the frequent counter leaners was the Wausau Wi. area FBI special agent. Larry told him that some guy on the east coast was altering and selling his reprint 1947 Tip Top Bread cards as vintage. Agent Berg took this seriously and initiated an investigation that resulted in an arrest and conviction. I realize this post is very long winded but, Fritsch Cards posts occur here, and the old board, with some regularity. Larry could have been considered eccentric but he was honest and certainly "Old School". The store was great. Dennis

hangman62
07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I dont know who has higher prices on prewar low grade stuff - Frisch Cards or 707 Sportcards !

CharleyBrown
07-10-2011, 07:11 PM
lol.. I'm not 100% familiar with Fritsch, but 707 has some ridiculously high prices.

bh3443
07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
One of the best experiences in my 4 decades in the hobby was in Cooperstown during induction week in the 90's. I was with my pal, veteran card guy, Bob Thing of Maine. Bobby introduced me to Larry Fritsch who had just opened his museum. Larry begged Bob to be the curator of the museum on a nice Cooperstown night as the beer flowed and we talked cards into the early morning hours. What great guys: Larry & Bob!

Another great moment was at our GBSCC show in Wilmington, Mass when I met Dolloff cards who on a rare occassion had set up. He was perhaps the most organized dealer I've known. His merchandise was organized so well that it was almost overwhelming for a collector to seek out what they wanted! He knew his cards so well, I was actually impressed! His catalogs on every sport were impressive and he was a true gentleman of the highest order.

Call us old school or old-timers, but I was honored to be with these giants of our industry.

I wish Jeff Fritsch well in running Fritsch cards and I hope Dolloff is doing well. I know my pal Bob Thing is down to a few shows a year. Bob goes back to the late 40's in our hobby and is one was the most like-able guys you could hope to meet. I've ben blessed with his friendship since the 70's. He was at my wedding and count-less family functions as well as I travelled to 28 States with him for shows!

Thank you,

Bill Hedin

benchod
07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Bill,
Thanks for sharing your stories

Vintagecatcher
07-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I bought many cards over the years from Larry Fritsch Cards. Granted it was always an unusual buying experience. They were truly "old school." If you had an interest in a card, there was no scan or photo available to be emailed. The kind folks would, however, mail me a photo copy of the cards.

They always had an awesome selection. Their pricing was always very reasonable. Grading usually was a bit subjective. I truly miss buying from them.

Living in Maine, I am also crossed paths with Doloff. He had a tiny storefront in Portsmouth, N.H. in a strip mall on Route 1.

I stopped in several times to inquire about cards, however, Doloff could not be bothered to show me any cards. I inquired about seeing cards for the seven MLB catchers I collected. He told me he had cards of all the players, but he couldn't be bothered to show me any cards. Great way to run a business.

So my experience with these two dealers is that they were polar opposites.
Larry Fritsch Cards couldn't have been more helpful and Doloff couldn't be bothered.

Patrick

wrapperguy
07-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Just contacted Dolloff a couple weeks ago. No website but offered to send me a catalog. Catalog arrives a few days later and there are 4 cards that interested me. Since I am trying to get a master set of 35 Goudeys, I needed to know the back number and letter. The person who answered the phone said they would pull the cards and send me photocopies of the 4 cards via snail mail. Good God! Nice people but VERY old school!

hangman62
07-11-2011, 07:32 AM
I dont deny dealers like this were big dogs back in the day..( Nor am I knocking them... I know .it wasnt that long ago..1980's...that for the most part..you bought cards based on a very short discription in a catlg,or even less).... I guess what Im saying is now-a-days...it seems incredible for a dealer with a massive inventory..who decides he will be a internet only seller..not to do the legwork and set up a modern data base.. it could only help your buisness....why in the world would you do it the old way ??

Cooptown
07-11-2011, 01:05 PM
One of the best experiences in my 4 decades in the hobby was in Cooperstown during induction week in the 90's. I was with my pal, veteran card guy, Bob Thing of Maine. Bobby introduced me to Larry Fritsch who had just opened his museum. Larry begged Bob to be the curator of the museum on a nice Cooperstown night as the beer flowed and we talked cards into the early morning hours. What great guys: Larry & Bob!

I have VERY fond memories of that museum. I believe it was only open a year or two? Took the tour, and got a pack of cards that had Larry's "Top 10 Finds" and how he aquired them, for how much, etc. Went to Cooperstown the next summer, walked up to the museum and rememembered my disappointment of how it was gone. I remember from every summer on, I would walk by in hopes it would re-open. Great building too; I believe it was completely new when he moved in. For whatever reason, that building has been more vacant than not since Fritsch left. I remember an ice cream shop being in there one summer.

You know the funny thing? I still go and walk by that empty building when I am in Cooperstown....that tells you how much I enjoyed that Museum.

GoldenAge50s
07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't even remeber the yr, but I was in Cooperstown and found the Museum location, expecting to go in & have a look-see. Lo & behold the building was vacant and looked like someone left in a hurry!

I tried the door & to my surprise it was open but nobody was around. I went in and started looking around---empty boxes on the floor, paper littered around, a couple of old showcases still there but empty (darn!). It literally looked like someone had just vacated.

I poked around, looked in the trash & some boxes--the only thing I found were some Fritsch paperwork and a wooden baseball bat pen w/ the Larry Fritsch Museum logo on it. I was in there about 20 mins & all that time not a soul around!

No Wagners, no Larry Doyle's, all gone!

bh3443
07-11-2011, 07:43 PM
I was very pleased t read your post, Cooptown! Larry's place was a great one for sure. Too bad at that time a guy like Bob Thing or even myself was too tied down to re-locate and run the place. It would have been cool!
Larry told us that he loved to lock the museum doors and knock back a six pack as he went through his cards. He genuinely loved his cards, his family and our hobby!
Too bad that place is empty.
I met so many great guys at those Cooperstown shows. I set up at the first 3 and Don Flewelling and Frank Keetz were simply remarkable guys!
Thanks for the memories,
Bill Hedin

I have VERY fond memories of that museum. I believe it was only open a year or two? Took the tour, and got a pack of cards that had Larry's "Top 10 Finds" and how he aquired them, for how much, etc. Went to Cooperstown the next summer, walked up to the museum and rememembered my disappointment of how it was gone. I remember from every summer on, I would walk by in hopes it would re-open. Great building too; I believe it was completely new when he moved in. For whatever reason, that building has been more vacant than not since Fritsch left. I remember an ice cream shop being in there one summer.

You know the funny thing? I still go and walk by that empty building when I am in Cooperstown....that tells you how much I enjoyed that Museum.

Matt
07-12-2011, 06:07 AM
Just contacted Dolloff a couple weeks ago. No website but offered to send me a catalog. Catalog arrives a few days later and there are 4 cards that interested me. Since I am trying to get a master set of 35 Goudeys, I needed to know the back number and letter. The person who answered the phone said they would pull the cards and send me photocopies of the 4 cards via snail mail. Good God! Nice people but VERY old school!

I had a similar experience with them about a year ago; I called the day the scans arrived in the mail to say I'd take the cards and they had already sold them to someone else.

tbob
07-12-2011, 01:06 PM
I had the opportunity to talk to Larry on the phone a few years before he died. I was trying to buy some 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts and there was a sudden huge run on them from his catalogue because at that time there were at least 5 collectors (all from Net 54) who were buying them all up at very reasonable prices. Larry ordered a freeze on all the Zeenuts and would not sell anymore at the listed prices. I had called about the "freeze" and was told Larry wanted to speak with me. His concern was that I was a collector and not a dealer and when I convinced him, he lifted the freeze so I could buy about 25 cards I needed. We spoke for a couple of hours about the hobby and I really enjoyed the conversation. Yes he was old school, nothing wrong with that, I'm a little old school too with regard to the hobby although guys like Quan know I finally was pushed in to having my cards slabbed and have never looked back :)
I think there are a lot of younger colectors in the hobby who are "old school" also and thank God, I wouldn't want a bunch of guys like he who shall not be named and was recently booted off the board again, running the hobby. "Old school" is not just being old, it's recognizing it is a hobby foremost and loving the cards we buy, sell and trade. It means helping other collectors along. Sure we all like a good deal and all recognize the value of cards, but its a certain kindness that goes with it, not the caustic and brutal "you fire a rifle, I'll fire a missle and I'll squash you if I can in getting cards attitude."
The best reason to go to Nationals is to meet and greet fellow collectors, especially those you only know by their ebay names. Maybe that's naive and I will be trying to find some cards and complete sets but it's the comeraderie I most enjoy at Nationals. As someone once said, you can't take the cardboard with you but friendships, however brief, endure....

Leon
07-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I had the opportunity to talk to Larry on the phone a few years before he died. I was trying to buy some 1911 and 1912 Zeenuts and there was a sudden huge run on them from his catalogue because at that time there were at least 5 collectors (all from Net 54) who were buying them all up at very reasonable prices. Larry ordered a freeze on all the Zeenuts and would not sell anymore at the listed prices. I had called about the "freeze" and was told Larry wanted to speak with me. His concern was that I was a collector and not a dealer and when I convinced him, he lifted the freeze so I could buy about 25 cards I needed. We spoke for a couple of hours about the hobby and I really enjoyed the conversation. Yes he was old school, nothing wrong with that, I'm a little old school too with regard to the hobby although guys like Quan know I finally was pushed in to having my cards slabbed and have never looked back :)
I think there are a lot of younger colectors in the hobby who are "old school" also and thank God, I wouldn't want a bunch of guys like he who shall not be named and was recently booted off the board again, running the hobby. "Old school" is not just being old, it's recognizing it is a hobby foremost and loving the cards we buy, sell and trade. It means helping other collectors along. Sure we all like a good deal and all recognize the value of cards, but its a certain kindness that goes with it, not the caustic and brutal "you fire a rifle, I'll fire a missle and I'll squash you if I can in getting cards attitude."
The best reason to go to Nationals is to meet and greet fellow collectors, especially those you only know by their ebay names. Maybe that's naive and I will be trying to find some cards and complete sets but it's the comeraderie I most enjoy at Nationals. As someone once said, you can't take the cardboard with you but friendships, however brief, endure....

I got to speak with Larry a few times too. He was always very nice to me on the phone. I ordered quite a few times from him and almost every time I would have to send back some cards as they were a bit? over graded. I would just let him know something like..... E94 -vg (has a gaping hole in the bottom half of card)....and he never questioned a refund...He just wanted to know what I thought was incorrect.

On your other thoughts, Bob, I agree 100%. I am sure that without the friendships I have been fortunate to make in the hobby I wouldn't still be doing it. Going to the National, for me, is literally 95% about the friends and good times and 5% about the cards. I really don't even care if I buy or sell anything I just want to talk cards for 5 days straight. That is also the reason I could care less where the National is held. It could be indoors in the Mojave desert and I would be happy.....I don't care about sightseeing....I am collecting cards with my friends when at a show!! There is nothing else I care to do....

Cooptown
07-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I was very pleased t read your post, Cooptown! Larry's place was a great one for sure. Too bad at that time a guy like Bob Thing or even myself was too tied down to re-locate and run the place. It would have been cool!
Larry told us that he loved to lock the museum doors and knock back a six pack as he went through his cards. He genuinely loved his cards, his family and our hobby!
Too bad that place is empty.
I met so many great guys at those Cooperstown shows. I set up at the first 3 and Don Flewelling and Frank Keetz were simply remarkable guys!
Thanks for the memories,
Bill Hedin

BH-Do you know the reason why Larry closed up shop in Cooperstown? Or do you have any recollection of the time frame that place was open? I was only about 14 or so if I can remember, so my "contacts" in the hobby at the time were pretty limited.

Steve D
07-13-2011, 05:59 PM
BH-Do you know the reason why Larry closed up shop in Cooperstown? Or do you have any recollection of the time frame that place was open? I was only about 14 or so if I can remember, so my "contacts" in the hobby at the time were pretty limited.

According to Larry's obituary on Fritsch Cards' website, he opened the museum in 1987. He then closed it in 1992 due to the distance and travel time.

Steve

ls7plus
07-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Purchased a 1914 T222 Fatima Alexander from Larry in about '98 that was near mint and centered, with the exception of the usual wrinkles in the surface of the photo, but still with tremendous eye appeal for $513.00 as I recall. And almost bought a 1956 Kahn's Frank Robinson VG+ but with back damage from having been glued to a scrapbook which the Fritschter had priced at $375.00. Funny thing about the Robinson card-- at the time, I passed on it, but I believe it found me again about one and a half years ago, when I picked up what I believe to be the very same card from Jim Manos. This occurred about 12 years after I had passed on the card from Fritsch, and I had been looking for an example with good eye appeal throughout that time. Meant for me??

He had some good cards which seemed high at the time, but the passage of time made you more than whole if you hung on to them.

Good thread--always like to hear about the pioneers!

Larry

bh3443
07-15-2011, 03:38 AM
Well, I'm now 50 years old and I've been in the hobby for a good 40 of them!
I keep reading "old school" in this and other threads and I am hoping that we can share some old school things done by the old schoolers! Here's a few:

1. Phone Calls were a no-no in the 1970's with most old school guys. I can recall the SCD big advertisers with their "to the point" phone rules that included "no calls on Sunday" and "if you call after hours I'll just hang up on you" and my favorite "some of you have been abusing my phone hours and soon I'll be taking no phone calls:, lol! Back in the 70's I recall my friend Bob Thing's Trader Speaks auctions that ended say midnight. I had a pleasant conversation with Rob Lifson a few years back about how the two of us got creative to sneak around and bid without waking our family! Rob was more creative than me in the Bob Thing auctions! We had a good laugh about those fun old days! Rob's a decent guy who (just like us) loves our hobby's rich history.

2. Another quirk was that in the 70's sme of the big dealers would get furious and refuse to sell you cards if you referred to the cards as an investment!

Those are the first two old school things that come to my mind. I hope om of you will write a blurp about your "old school" quirks, stories, etc.., We can use a good laugh as we stroll down our memory lane!

Bill Hedin <---Wife & I are off to walk our dogs every day at 5:30am and then 5:30pm!My ogs are Holly (hound 55 lns and Sadie (Black Lab) 80lbs!

Cooptown
10-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Larry's name recently came up on the PSA boards, and it jogged my memory of this thread.

When I was in Cooperstown this summer, I decided to photo document all of the places that my Dad and I used to go. I decided to track down the Fritsch museum. Ironically enough I had a hard time finding it. The trees had really grown in, so it covered a lot of the building. It was vacant, and as you can see from the reflection in the windows, they were using it as a parking lot that weekend. You can actually see me in the reflection as well.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/BonaCuse/2015%20HOF%20Induction%20Weekend/IMG_3363_zpsuhtaacky.jpg

rocarroll
10-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Kind of OT but being from a small town in Georgia I didn't have many card shop options in the early to mid 80s so I always got a catalogue from Kit Young. I bought my t206 cards through him. I remember being a kid and loving when those came in the mail every few months

Brian Van Horn
10-05-2015, 01:26 PM
It has been close to 20 years since I have bought a card from Fritsch. About 10 years ago I sold a 1940 Play Ball Berg to his son. Although I miss the catalogues, the person who knew how to run the business in my opinion, was the father.

7nohitter
10-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Truly interesting thread...LOVE reading about how things were done back in the 'day.' No phone calls on Sunday, etc....good stuff.

DHogan
10-05-2015, 03:09 PM
I remember the card shop Doloff had in Portsmouth NH in the early 90's. He had a sign on the wall of prices he would charge just to ask questions. I think it was $15.00 for 15 minutes of time. A big turn off when I wanted to buy. If I only knew then what I know now. :o

obcbobd
10-05-2015, 04:27 PM
I remember the card shop Doloff had in Portsmouth NH in the early 90's. He had a sign on the wall of prices he would charge just to ask questions. I think it was $15.00 for 15 minutes of time. A big turn off when I wanted to buy. If I only knew then what I know now. :o

Wow, why not just have a sign saying "You're an idiot, spend your money elsewhere"

frankbmd
10-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I'll gladly pay you $15 for 15 minutes of your time to learn your opinions. I will charge you $20 for 15 minutes of my time as I will share my thoughts as well. Let's talk.

DHogan
10-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I'll gladly pay you $15 for 15 minutes of your time to learn your opinions. I will charge you $20 for 15 minutes of my time as I will share my thoughts as well. Let's talk.

That's a whole $27.93 in 2015. :p

kmac32
10-05-2015, 07:51 PM
Been to Fritches shop before. It was basically ran out of his basement and was disorganized like most shops. Saw it in maybe ti early to mid 90's out in the country near Stevens Point. Not much to look at in my opinion.

buymycards
10-06-2015, 11:33 AM
I was at his shop in the late 90's. It was out in the middle of nowhere and difficult to find. The shop was attached to his warehouse and the shop was about the size of a large bathroom, and very few cards were displayed. Someone came from the warehouse and seemed annoyed that I had walked in. I was looking for a few cards, and he went in the warehouse and came out with a few. I bought a couple, basically because I spent so much time trying to find the shop and I had driven over 100 miles to get there. I never did see Larry or his son.

Rick

Bocabirdman
10-06-2015, 01:57 PM

I won't interrupt but for $25 for 15 minutes I will give the illusion of listening with both ears (a skill I have picked up in 32 years of marriage):D

wolf441
10-06-2015, 03:07 PM
I won't interrupt but for $25 for 15 minutes I will give the illusion of listening with both ears (a skill I have picked up in 32 years of marriage):D

(...I nod in affirmation at the appropriate time...)

I skill that I've picked up in 24 years of marriage! :D

Bocabirdman
10-06-2015, 03:36 PM
(...I nod in affirmation at the appropriate time...)

I skill that I've picked up in 24 years of marriage! :D

I would have to charge more than $25 per 15 minutes for that. That requires actual listening (to at least the tone):D

savedfrommyspokes
10-06-2015, 05:14 PM
Looking back at my recent sales, it looks like I sell, on average, about a card of month to Larry's son Jeff in c/o LFC. I never understood why LFC would buy seemingly common cards from the 60s out of my ebay store when they apparently have a warehouse full. On the flip side, I am just appreciative for the sales.

Bocabirdman
10-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Looking back at my recent sales, it looks like I sell, on average, about a card of month to Larry's son Jeff in c/o LFC. I never understood why LFC would buy seemingly common cards from the 60s out of my ebay store when they apparently have a warehouse full. On the flip side, I am just appreciative for the sales.

I have a huge, disorganized set of drawers with every screw, nail and doodad imaginable. When I need something, it is still easier to run to the hardware store......:)

savedfrommyspokes
10-06-2015, 06:33 PM
I have a huge, disorganized set of drawers with every screw, nail and doodad imaginable. When I need something, it is still easier to run to the hardware store......:)

As usual Mike, I think you hit the nail on the head with that analogy.

DHogan
10-07-2015, 05:12 PM
I just found my copy of Baseball Cards price guide from the spring of 1982. There's an ad for Larry Fritsch Cards. The address was 735 Old Wausau Rd. Stevens Point Wis.

ALR-bishop
10-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Still is

whitehse
10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
i have to head to the Point in a few weeks for business. I wonder if I should even stop in or would that be pointless at this time.

LEHR
10-10-2015, 11:29 AM
I just bought a couple PSA graded cello packs from LFC ebay store this week. I've bought several items from LFC in recent years but it's been 100% unopened product and 100% from ebay. The communication is terrible and the shipping is typically slow but I always get the product I pay for so it's all good.

Great thread.

wheitman
10-13-2015, 11:12 PM
I met Larry through the mail in the late ‘50s. He was either about to go to college or in college. I was in elementary school. Over the years, we traded, bought and sold back and forth--talked on the phone whenever my father would let me call long distance. He always had lots of stuff, but his grading was more than a little suspect. Larry was one of three people who proofread my manuscript of “T206 The Monster” before it was published. Larry and Jeff drove down to the Third National in St. Louis in Larry’s ugly station wagon. It was the first time I met him face to face. I spent a couple of nights with Larry and Jeff as they took in the after hours bars on the Illinois side of the Mississippi. They seemed to know all of the spots. That was the last time I saw Larry. We continued to speak on the phone and do some deals back and forth, and, then, one day he was gone. I will not forget him.

ALR-bishop
10-14-2015, 07:07 AM
Was everyone at those establishments dressed appropriately for the occasion :)

Did you run into the Griswolds while there ?

wheitman
10-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Very appropriately. Sure wasn't Wally World.