PDA

View Full Version : Barry Halper Article

Cerberus
07-06-2011, 08:14 PM
This article appeared recently, on Deadspin. Nothing really new, but good summary of the extensive fraud and forgery, in the collection. There's a link to a more detailed story (with pictures), in the article:

http://deadspin.com/5818225/the-downfall-of-barry-halper-baseball-collectings-bernie-madoff

sportscardpete
07-07-2011, 07:15 AM
As a semi-newbie, i wasn't familiar with this story until now. Has anyone ever met him before?

BTW, great article.

bh3443
07-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi Pete,
Back in the late 70's/early 80's Barry Halper was always at Cooperstown during induction week. He'd walk into the card show Don Flewelling ran and I recall he bought a Christy Mathewson BB game from a dealer across from me. He and his wife also attended a show we did with local pioneer Joe King in 1979 in Boston at the Downtown 57 convention center. Again, he toured the room and bought a few pieces of cool memorabilia.
In fact, that show in 79 was attended by many NY area legends like Halper, Sonny Jackson, Marc Lewis & Warren Karp (of Card Price Up-Date note). As a matter of fact, Marc and Warren were getting ready to launch their first issue and we talked a great deal about the need for a monthly BB and FB guide. They were decent guys, I mean that whole NY crew from back in the day!
Thanks for bearing with me as I tour my own memory lane!
Regards,
Bill Hedin

sportscardpete
07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Bill,

Love the stories. Thank you for resharing these moments, I do appreciate it. It's pretty nice how he got to go around the hobby with his wife. A nice way to bond with the lady!

Cheers Bill, and I hope everything is going okay!

Pete

Brendan
07-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Great article. I feel like I've read this before.