PDA

View Full Version : Herman Nickerson (Boston Braves) autograph

BradH
07-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I am not an autograph collector, but I have acquired some in various deals over the years. I have a 1912 Heilbroner's Records book and the front inside page is signed by former Boston sportswriter and Boston Braves executive Herman Nickerson.

A longtime Braves collector is interested in buying it from me, but I really have no idea of the approximate value. I'm happy to sell it to him, but just want to make sure I have a rough idea first of the market value (if there is one).

Sorry for the light picture quality - Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

bh3443
07-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Hi,
What an outstanding piece of Boston Braves history!
I've lived in the suburbs of Boston for 50 years and my Dad was a Braves fan before me. He loved talking about the Braves. I never asked him this one question that I present to you here on Net 54:

Is the Boston University Field named after the same Nickerson you have the autograph of? It would make a lot of sense! Thanks for any help with this question.

Incidently, one of my Dad and my friends was George Altison who ran those Brave Reunion dinners. What a time they were! Sadly, my Dad, George and many of the Braves players have gone up to the big Card Show/Baseball Game in the sky. But, man..... do I have memories!

Thank you,

Bill Hedin

mr2686
07-08-2011, 06:25 AM
I found this online...I'm assuming he's related:
It was named Nickerson Field as well, after William E. Nickerson, an MIT graduate who was the principal inventor of the machinery used to manufacture the first Gillette safety razor.

barrysloate
07-08-2011, 07:02 AM
I lived my freshman year of college on West Campus overlooking Nickerson Field- there was still a wall left standing from the old Braves Stadium. We used to play intramural softball right on the field. Great memories.

scooter729
07-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Barry, they still allow the intramural softball on Nickerson Field - I have played there for the past few years (until an injury has kept me on the DL this year). Hope to get back next year - you can't beat getting to play softball on that field!

barrysloate
07-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Scott- we used to have two games going on at the same time- one in each corner of the endzone- so that often a long hit would roll onto the other team's playing area. But it was really great to have use of the facility.

BradH
07-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I am not from Boston, but have played catch on the field a couple times. Pretty cool to play on the same grounds that Babe Ruth spent his final (half) season.

I'm guessing there isn't much value in this gentleman's autograph, other than the fact he was a team executive a hundred years ago. The book it's in is probably worth more than the signature!

Thanks.