PDA

View Full Version : 1887 baseball book

mrburns443
07-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm trying to help my father find some information on a book he has titled "Our National Game". The book was published in 1887 by Liebenroth, Von Auw & Co. It's basically a scrapbook with about 5 or 6 lithographs as well. The original owner collected every boxscore from the 1891 national league season and pasted them on the blank pages. Does anyone have any information on this book? Also,would the boxscores increase the value of the book? Do people collect old time boxscores? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott Garner
07-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm trying to help my father find some information on a book he has titled "Our National Game". The book was published in 1887 by Liebenroth, Von Auw & Co. It's basically a scrapbook with about 5 or 6 lithographs as well. The original owner collected every boxscore from the 1891 national league season and pasted them on the blank pages. Does anyone have any information on this book? Also,would the boxscores increase the value of the book? Do people collect old time boxscores? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Can you upload some photos of your book/scrapbook for us to look at it? This can help us determine a potential value.
Thanks!

mrburns443
07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt76/mrburns443/our%20national%20game/

Here are a few pics I took a few months ago.

barrysloate
07-06-2011, 11:26 AM
It's a scrapbook that was issued in 1887, and made specifically for someone to glue in trade cards, die cuts, or whatever. The six color baseball plates are often removed and sold as individual prints, so it's nice to see the book complete.

baseballart
07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
It's pretty common for a 19th century item. The lithographs are beautiful. I don't think the boxscores would increase the value, but that's just me. As Barry points out, the book is often found with scraps pasted in.

Max

baseball tourist
07-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I have a copy that is just the covers and am looking to upgrade. If interested in selling, pls let me know. Chris

Chris@pacmedia.ca

baseball tourist
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Here's a link to one that sold at Hunt's that was in better shape:

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer_online.cfm?auction_num=37&lot_num=6&lot_qual=