PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Match or Toothpick Holder? Halper?

John V
07-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Over the holiday weekend, I came across a silver? match holder in an antique store. It was described as from 1900 to 1910 & formerly of the Halper collection. Black from tarnish, it was about 3" high with the match/toothpick bowl (baseball) resting on 3 ring bats.
Can anyone help me locate a photo? Any ideas of value?

As I stood there looking at it, it dawned on me how items make the rounds, changing hands, etc.

mjkm90
07-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I've seen a lot of these over the years both on ebay and at auction houses. They used to sell for $300+, but are now in the $150-$200 range. They are nice looking pieces and have been called salt cellars, matchstick holders, and toothpick holders. I have also seen some modern reproductions, but those are chrome. I WOULD NOT pay extra because it came from the Halper collection. These are not that tough to find. What were they asking for it?

http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/imageviewer_online.cfm?auction_num=4&lot_num=625&lot_qual=

John V
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
$395
A neat item, but I wasn't feeling the love, especially at that price. It's nice to hear they are somewhat common.