PDA

View Full Version : FS: Wagner PSA Authentic

atx840
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Any guesses what this might go for?

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7037&lotIdNo=47001

iwantitiwinit
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
What the heck is that, is that another fabricated card like the recent sale in the REA auction? Yellowish background looks like they used a crayon to color it in. Do you think PSA will grade a hand drawing I make of Honus. This is getting ridiculous.

vintagetoppsguy
07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
What the heck is that, is that another fabricated card like the recent sale in the REA auction? Yellowish background looks like they used a crayon to color it in. Do you think PSA will grade a hand drawing I make of Honus. This is getting ridiculous.

Yes, it does look re-colored. That's probably why PSA graded it "AUTHENTIC" instead of with a numerical grade. I'm not sure I get your point.

sreader3
07-05-2011, 04:37 PM
The factory designation on the back looks more compressed than on a typical T206. Maybe just a function of the scanner ???

After supersizing the scan the factory designation looks okay to me. Never mind.

sb1
07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Nicer than the cut off border card it will bring well over $200K, perhaps even 300. The scans in the holder do it much more justice than the close ups. The orange background has some rub which makes it look mottled.

t206hound
07-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I guess that answers my question from the previous restoration... unrestoring a restored card doesn't negate the alteration...:D
"Our consignor purchased this card in a restored state, with coloring to minimize the appearance of creases and paper added to enhance the corners. Preferring an unaltered representation, the new owner took immediate steps to return the card to its original condition, commissioning an expert to undo these modern contrivances. Admittedly small portions of the added color in the orange background remain, but the return to original state is as complete as possible. And when considering the magnificent visual appeal that existed before restoration was first undertaken, one wonders why anybody would have proceeded. This is unquestionably one of the prettiest Wagners that exists."

Leon
07-05-2011, 06:02 PM
I guess that answers my question from the previous restoration... unrestoring a restored card doesn't negate the alteration...:D
"Our consignor purchased this card in a restored state, with coloring to minimize the appearance of creases and paper added to enhance the corners. Preferring an unaltered representation, the new owner took immediate steps to return the card to its original condition, commissioning an expert to undo these modern contrivances. Admittedly small portions of the added color in the orange background remain, but the return to original state is as complete as possible. And when considering the magnificent visual appeal that existed before restoration was first undertaken, one wonders why anybody would have proceeded. This is unquestionably one of the prettiest Wagners that exists."

If they could have "unrestored" it 100% I believe it still could have gotten a numerical grade IF the original example would have warranted it.

gnaz01
07-05-2011, 06:21 PM
If they could have "unrestored" it 100% I believe it still could have gotten a numerical grade IF the original example would have warranted it.

Leon,
Who could do "unrestored" and not show it to be like a "frankenwagner"? :D

Leon
07-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Leon,
Who could do "unrestored" and not show it to be like a "frankenwagner"? :D

Graphic Conservation in Chicago.

vargha
07-05-2011, 07:35 PM
HA allows people to view cards, right? I should take my son down to see it.

bh3443
07-05-2011, 07:58 PM
In 1979 I had the 206 set complete minus the big 3. As anxious as I was to get a Wagner, I would not have bought a restored one. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with having a restored card, but for me I'd prefer a dozen creases and rounded corners to a touched up one.
I was confident in 1979 that I'd finish my set by buying a Wagner, Plank & Magie for around $ 25,000. I was wrong! I never owned those players in a 206, but I felt comfort in buying other cards of them from other sets!
Restored cards are not my cup of tea. I do strongly encourage EVERYONE to collect what they like. It's YOUR hobby and you should enjoy it your way!
Regards,
Bill Hedin

fkw
07-06-2011, 01:34 AM
I havent read any replies yet.... :) so dont know if any mentioned yet...
For those that dont know this is the card that was previously restored, then the restoration was reversed. Ive had scans of it for a while now.
For that reason, I would rank it above the other restored/altered examples out there.

fkw
07-06-2011, 01:39 AM
PS if anyone has the "before" pics (with restoration) I would love to see them :)

atx840
07-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Quick and dirty comparison of the two restored Wagners (bottom is the one listed)

http://i.imgur.com/qhOKX.jpg

E93
07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
I would much rather have this one than the one with sides and back added. I think Scott's estimate is about right. I would say 250-325k.
JimB

ls7plus
07-09-2011, 07:45 AM
$225,000. Inroads being made by restored items are slow, but steady. This trend will continue to grow.

Best wishes,

Larry

esd10
07-09-2011, 11:43 AM
with the economy the way it is i dont see it bringing no more 150k

toledo_mudhen
07-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I have $5000 I'm not doing anything with...(just sayin)