PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Foto Service Set

Vintagecatcher
06-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I picked up this "type" example from the Frederick Foto Service set a few days back.

I figured I wasn't going to find a better example that fits in my catcher collection. I really like the clarity, balance and composition of this photo.

There seems to be very little info available regarding this set. Although I have seen the 1921 date floated out there for the set, I'm guessing the set might have been issued over a number of years. Oscar Stanage didn't play for Sacramento until 1922.

Lets see some more photos/cards from this set. I also like this example because of the cool Frederick Foto Service logo on the lower left of the card which isn't on all of the examples in the set.

Thanks,

Patrick

Leon
06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I used to think these photos were cut down cards but they aren't. They are true photos on photographic type paper. I think they were all encapsulated by PSA at one time too. At any rate my understanding is that Frederick Foto made many different types of photos, as well as the neat cards. This small assortment of cards clearly shows the different styles of typeset that were used. regards

Vintagecatcher
06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Leon,

Thanks for the response. Another interesting observation regarding the cards is that some have borders and some are full photos without borders. Perhaps the croping could reflect a particular years' design if they were issued over a number of years.

Here are a couple of links that you might find interesting:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~npmelton/sacfrede.htm

http://cdm15248.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/p15248coll1&CISOPTR=1126&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

Thanks,

Patrick

MMarvelli
07-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Just picked up a raw Fredericks large type. Cant see a lot of info in the search of previous posts. Old Cardboard and Standard Catalog only list the small (1-3/16 x 2-3/4 or 2-5/8) but neither identify the larger (1-3/4 x 3-3/4) sized card/photo. The small all seem to be bordered in one fashion or another and the large all seem to be borderless. All the large appear to have album removal residue but it could also be mount removal residue if these were originally issued on a mount. Interesting that the large would have a back stamp, which most do, if they were intended to be on a mount. Also interesting that some have the logo and some dont, both in the large and small. That, along with the wide variety of labeling, logo, and size, would indicated many small and different 'printings'. The fact that they are real photo's and so varied makes them rather interesting to me.

The Stanage card is a perfectly classic pose, and the bio on Harley Frederick was enjoyable to read.

I thought I would resurrect this old thread and see if there are any new tidbits of info on this less than popular and less than abundant set?

Vintagecatcher
07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks for bringing the thread back to life. I just purchased my 2nd Frederick Foto, and I will post my new card when it arrives.

I suspect that the two types of Frederick Fotos, the smaller ones with borders, and the larger ones without borders were most likely issued as two different series. Reviewing several large lots sold over the last 5 years is interesting in that the lots had just one type of Frederick Fotos either all borderless examples or all examples with borders.

I have decided to research the players seen in the Frederick Fotos to see if I can determine which series was created first by comparing the timeline of when players played for Sacramento. I know that some players have cards with both designs.

More info to follow later.

Patrick

rhettyeakley
07-17-2013, 12:25 PM
I think what we are looking at with the larger cards are actually the proof cards used to make the small cards. I don't have mine in front of me but I remember looking at the name on the larger card and noticing that it is written in raised ink (ie not part of the picture) and the small card name looked exactly like it did on the larger card. All those large cards came from the same find several years ago described as being trimmed. It is my opinion that they are not trimmed but just the proofs used to make the actual cards.

MMarvelli
07-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Rhett...I was also surprised that the name is written on the photograph and not part of the photo. The proof idea make sense, otherwise it would be rather uncommon for Frederick's to hand letter every card produced.

I thought the large types might be trimmed because my Kopp, and others I have seen, have a portion of the logo off the card, and some barely have half the logo.

Patrick...That is the first photo I have seen of the Frederick Foto building. That building on Seventh Street no longer exists, but the adjacent architecturally significant bank building (shown in the foto) still remains. That location on Seventh Street is not the location that Fredrick's occupied when they issued the cards. The building they occupied in 1921 on Jay Street still remains. I have driven by it a thousand times unaware, now I always look at it when I pass. Luckily it is in a part of downtown where you can rarely drive faster than 20 mph.

Solons42
07-18-2013, 03:30 PM
It does seen like Frederick Foto cards were produced over multiple years in the early 1920s. Here's a copy of my 1923 composite Sacramento Senators team photo post card.

Vintagecatcher
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Added another Frederick Foto proof to go along with my Oscar Stanage example. The card pictures Bobbie Schang, Wally Schang's brother.

As Rhett suggests these larger examples may have been used as proofs to create the smaller actual Frederick Foto cards which have a border.
Both of my examples have the spots of glue at the corners and mid-way along the back of the cards. In addition, both of my examples have blue ink stamps stating "Frederick Foto Service 718 1/2 Jay Sacramento," however, the Schang card's stamp is upside down.

There is no doubt that the cards were issued in multiple years since numerous players did not start with their teams until 1922.

Patrick