PDA

View Full Version : 1919 t213-3

Epps
06-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I haven't really heard too much about this set and was wondering if anyone was actively collecting it. There wasn't much under the search. I find it pretty interesting and they seem to be uncommon, especially the overprints. The only complete set that I've seen sold in a Mastro Auction a couple of years ago for around 100k. Can someone give some insight into this set? Also if you have any, especially the overprints, please show them. Unfortunately, I don't own any. Any help is appreciated!

gabrinus
06-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Here are a few overprints.......been collecting set for a while but cannot say it has been too active.

tbob
06-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I haven't really heard too much about this set and was wondering if anyone was actively collecting it. There wasn't much under the search. I find it pretty interesting and they seem to be uncommon, especially the overprints. The only complete set that I've seen sold in a Mastro Auction a couple of years ago for around 100k. Can someone give some insight into this set? Also if you have any, especially the overprints, please show them. Unfortunately, I don't own any. Any help is appreciated!

I had a complete set minus one card which came from the "Southern Find" in 1982. I ended up selling it to Bill Mastro the next year for $2,000. The near set was creaseless. I know, we all make mistakes, that was my biggest. I hung on to four duplicate cards, a Bridwell, a McGraw and 2 Cobbs, all with overprinted backs. I sold one of the Cobbs a few years ago for around $5000 and traded the other about 6-7 years ago for an E94 Wagner which is in an SGC 60 holder. The cards are very hard to find and for a long time weren't actively collected because the first series had the "scarce" backs and the second series, which is much more plentiful, had the glossy fronts which make the cards look beautiful when they weren't busy cracking. The 1919s have a washed out look with muted colors.

Epps
06-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Those are sweet!

Mr. Marquette,
Have you ever seen a Gandil with an overprint?

Leon
06-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Here are a few....this series is on a bit thicker stock and seems to be found in higher grade more often than the other series (well, a lot more from my experience).....even though these aren't some of those higher graded ones I have owned a few...

http://luckeycards.com/pt2133cobb2.jpg

tbob
06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Those are sweet!

Mr. Marquette,
Have you ever seen a Gandil with an overprint?

No, I never have. I doubt it exists although I could be wrong. There are many T213-3s which have never been found with overprinted backs. When I contacted Lew Lipset back in 1982 about the cards in my set (-1), I related that I had two cards which had previously not been known in the set. One of the two he had listed in his book as rumored to exist but never verified, the other was unknown. For the life of me I can't remember the names of the two players but I believe both are now listed as cards in the set. Both did not have an overprinted back.

Epps
06-29-2011, 05:25 PM
I know that at least one exists but was wondering if anybody had seen anymore

DixieBaseball
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
No Overprints, but a few Type 3's + Circa 20's pack :