PDA

View Full Version : Advice--1934 Tour of Japan ball

Jeff
06-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

I came across this forum while researching an item I'd like to sell. It seems like there a lot of good people here with integrity so I decided to join. I'm not a collector but understand the basics of the grading/selling "game." I'm hoping you might be able to give me some advice.

I have a ball signed by the American team who did the 1934 Tour of Japan (Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, Mack, etc.). It was given to me by a relative and has been authenticated by William Tell.

I sent photos to one of the major auction houses, who told me they don't think it's authentic and that I should have PSA look at it. I'm prepared to do that, but I don't want to waste $250 or more.

I've researched every sale and photo of this item I can find online, and I honestly believe it's authentic. Among the reasons:

1. The ball is made by Draper-Maynard, who, from what I've read, stopped making baseballs in 1962.

2. Draper-Maynard was big in Japan around that time.

3. The ball has the signatures of every American--19 in all, including the umpire--who went on the tour. Even the signatures of the no-name players look very much like those on the same ball that have sold at major auctions.

In sum, it's by no means out of the question, but it would be a highly elaborate fraud. Most of the value is in the Ruth signature. I'd think forging a whole bunch of Ruth balls would be a better use of one's time and effort.

Ideally, I'd prefer not to play the game, just on principle--forking over a bunch of money to someone when I have no way of knowing the time invested in the service or the person's expertise. But I also realize the buyer is paying for the authentication, not the item, and I don't want to get $5k for a $20k item.

I've attached photos here. To be honest, the photos make the ball seem more white and the signatures more clear than they really are. That may be why the auction house doesn't think it's authentic. But the ball is definitely in better condition than most others I've seen online. It's tan-colored, and the signatures are consistently faded but easily legible.

Any advice about navigating the process would be appreciated. I guess as far as specific questions:

1. Any thoughts on its authenticity?

2. If I send it to PSA, is there anything I should be worried about? I've heard of items coming back damaged. Also, I'd be shipping it back and forth across the country and then again to the auction house, which concerns me.

3. Are there any resources for finding a private collector, such as a Ruth expert, who doesn't need a PSA LOA to have faith in the authenticity?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

yanks12025
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I dont know anything about autographs really, but doesn't look good to me. Too clean

David Atkatz
06-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi, Jeff. IMHO as one who has collected vintage Yankee material for fifty years, the auction house is correct--the ball is not authentic.

JeremyW
06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
William Tell tells it all. Not looking good.

perezfan
06-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Agree with all of the above...

Don't waste more money with PSA. Cut your losses here. The ball is no good, and there's absolutely no way it's going to pass PSA or Spence.

I have yet to see a William Tell Authenticated item that's good. Sorry :(

Jeff
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Thank you all for the replies. Honestly, the ball is not that clean looking. The photos must have been taken with a flash. It's yellowish, similar to the one in David Atkatz's avatar. I just took some photos and will try to upload later.

Mr. Zipper
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Looks like all the signatures were signed by the same person. No variance in pressure, slant, flow, etc.

thetruthisoutthere
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
It's irrelevant if the ball is clean or dirty, or authenticated by Frank Garo (William Tell) or Morales. We should never assume anything based on a COA (as Spence found out).

The autographs are what matters and they are horrific.

Perezfan is correct when he writes that he's never seen anything certed by William Tell that is authentic. Neither have I.

That ball probably originated from Coach's Corner. Frank Garo was their authenticator at one time. And Coach's Corner still auctions off between 6-12 "1934 Tour Of Japan" signed baseballs (I have yet to see one from them that I would consider authentic).

scmavl
06-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Sorry Jeff, but even in my limited auto experience, I don't like them either. Babe and Lou on the sweet spot? How convenient...

Good luck.

MacDice
06-29-2011, 07:47 AM
I have always been extremely interested in the tour and always amazed by home many team balls there are on the market but you never see other items even photos

Woundedduck
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I'd love to pick up a ball like that as an admitted fake with a reasonable price. It still kind of looks cool and I could never afford something like that that's genuine. It would look great in the vintage baseball room I'm setting up.

David Atkatz
06-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Just make one.

Scott Garner
06-30-2011, 03:25 AM
Just make one.

LOL :p

barrysloate
06-30-2011, 08:44 AM
I'll also add that all those signatures look like they were made by one person. It's a bad fake.