PDA

View Full Version : I think I have an upgrading addiction....

rainier2004
06-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I started my 34 goudey set a few years ago when I was a student and since then decided to upgrade a couple cards in the set... that eventually turned into 60 replaced cards...this has led into me upgrading again and I am starting to realize that I am constantly buying 34 goudeys, as I have over 150 now, is just something I do. Its almost like before I knew it, I lost the goal to finish the set and just keep wanting nicer cards.

Anyone else do this? Its only w/ this set, I generally only replace my worst cards immediately following set completion and call it good, I mean there's a million sets out there and I usually am ready for the new project. Thoughts?

Leon
06-26-2011, 09:58 AM
I have cards from sets, which all I really need is one to fill the hole, and then I always seem to see cards from the same sets I just like and buy them. I don't need them, I just buy them as I like them. I think this is called being an "addict". I am a good example of the conversation we are having about spending a fair amount only to sell a fair amount. To me it's fun, harmless and unfortunately, at the end of the day....I usually make or lose about a buck. But it's fun doing it and keeps me out of the bars at night. regards

ps..I should add that I do enjoy upgrading, in general. I always like to try to acquire the best card I can, of many sets, with the resources I have for the upgrading of that card.

novakjr
06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I really don't have a specialty set, so the closest for me would be my HOF collection... Upgrading that set to me isn't necessarily getting a better conditioned card, but rather getting an older one of a player that I already have. To an extent, it's gotten in the way of me progressing the set in terms of completion, because I always end up coming back to the same players. Sometimes I wish I'd just get it over with and just finish up the set with a bunch of '80's Pacific sets or something, but I just can't do it, because I know I wouldn't be satisfied, and would still keep trying to get it older and older.. It would be nice to put a little more focus into something else, like the Topps complete run, or maybe a new set altogether..

Northviewcats
06-26-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm working on the T206 set, but I'm in no hurry to finish it. If I see a good deal on a card and I already have it I will buy it anyway and sell the lower grade card. The first year that I started pursing the monster I bought almost 100 cards most of them ungraded. Now I buy a couple of cards a month, but I only buy graded 5-6s. If I could afford higher graded cards I would buy all NM. I spend as much energy upgrading what I have as adding new cards to the collection. I like quality over quantity. Sometimes I feel like I'm buying art. I don't mind spending more if I feel like I'm getting quality. There is an antique store in Stratford, Ontario that I go to every year. The old lady who owns the store has a saying that expresses my collecting philosophy: "quality never goes out of style."

Best regards,

Joe

ChiefBenderForever
06-26-2011, 10:49 AM
Upgrade: evil necessity or collector curse ? I would say just part of the game and as you get deeper and see the difference in what you thought was a wonderful card now compared to one much nicer you just can't help but continue to get nicer stuff and get more and more picky and then start passing on cards you might need in order to wait for a nicer one even if it might take years since you know all you will want to do is find a better one anyways. Sometimes definately worth picking up that beater knowing you will replace when are able to but all just part of the fun. Also nice to have duplicates to compare to each other then when the time is right let it go to another collection for someone else to enjoy..............

rhettyeakley
06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
I have been doing this for many years with my E254 Colgan's set. I am always buying collections (large and small) of these and always check my new ones against my old ones and keep the best one for myself. Some cards have been switched out 5-6 times. It is also this way that I have found some new "head size variations" as I am always checking to see if there are any slight changes between the cards. I think my set would grade pretty well at this point (on average) if I actually cared to ever do that. **Shameless plug alert** I still need 30 for the master set so if anyone has some I need let me know.:)
-Rhett

Colgan's set:
http://www.starsofthediamond.com/colgans.html

Orions father
06-26-2011, 10:50 PM
I did the exact same thing with N28's, kept on upgrading until I had 130+ cards. Ended up with one complete set of 50, a near set of 42 and a third set almost half way finished. Finally decided enough was enough and had to sell them all to break the addiction. (do have a few tucked away) :)

smtjoy
06-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Funny, I have one exhibit set I am weird about too, I have two full sets and only missing 5 for a third and 10 for a 4th set. I just cant stop buying them, love the set, lol. I am sure I am losing a bunch on them as I have nearly half the total psa/sgc pop report but I dont really care, no plans to sell any.

benderbroeth
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
i have to laugh because i am doing just the opposite, i am on a very limited budget so i am selling some of my psa 3 t205, for about what i sold them for so that i can buy 2 or more psa 1's that i need, so i can increase the number of t205's i have....i have to say when it comes to the old cards i really love the lower condition ones to the higher grade.

glchen
06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm crazy with my 1933 Goudey set. I basically completed the 239 set in very low grade with the average grade of probably Poor. Then I've basically been buying near sets, getting the entire set graded, and selling off all of the lower graded ones. Practically all of the cards from my original set are gone, and I just bought another near set from the last Legendary auction that I'm sorting through to get graded. It's really nuts. And I'm still missing all 4 Ruth's and both Gehrig's even though I'm a Ruth / Gehrig player set collector. At least I'm at an average grade of nearly 4 now.

Brendan
06-28-2011, 12:29 AM
i have to laugh because i am doing just the opposite, i am on a very limited budget so i am selling some of my psa 3 t205, for about what i sold them for so that i can buy 2 or more psa 1's that i need, so i can increase the number of t205's i have....i have to say when it comes to the old cards i really love the lower condition ones to the higher grade.
Agreed.
The story behind a high grade card is often far less than what you get from a low grade card. Chances are, the high grade card was in a box for 100 years. Is that very exciting?

But think about the possibilities or what may have happened to a low grade card. Why is there that huge corner crease? Doesn't it look like someone spilled beer on this edge? What does the 98 written in pen mean? Was it someway the original owner kept track of what he had?

At least to me, especially since they are much cheaper, a lower grade card is more of my thing. Whenever I buy something, I always find past auctions and transactions and their descriptions to see where it's been. Challenging to trace it all the way back unless it's a very high end card.

Sure, if they were the same price I might go for the better condition one. But considering how much more history a low grade card has, I like to go with those. Nothing against people who collect the high grade stuff...I guess both ends of the spectrum have their qualities.

grundle20
06-28-2011, 12:44 AM
I can relate to this and speak about it "just as" I'm starting to make the turn from set completion to set upgrading. I went after the 1948 Leaf set in September and just completed it about 2 weeks ago (yay!). My original goal was to complete the set. I distinctly remember saying that. But even before I got my last card I already found myself glaring down at my lower grades with a bit of a grimace on my face and pawing around Ebay and the auction houses for upgrades.

I now realize that the set completion isn't going to be the end game, but I now realize that I'm really happy it's not. If it was the end, I guess I'd be "done." Although I didn't really anticipate any yearnings AFTER I had the set, I guess I'm glad they're there, because they're keeping me in the hobby, keeping me looking at Leafs, keeping me looking at the auctions, and in general making me happy.

benderbroeth
06-28-2011, 01:09 AM
for me it is also how many can i get i can get one great high grade card or five lower grade cards..i will go for the lower grades..glad i am not the only one!!!!

JamesGallo
06-28-2011, 07:44 AM
I have gotten to the point where I collect so much that unless I get a great deal I will generally only buy a card I am happy with usually in the 40-60 range.

I see this works for several reasons

The card is collector grade and would have interest from a broad group of people.

The card presents well so no real need for an upgrade.

The card isn't high grade so no temptation of selling.

I also found that if I upgraded a 30 to a 40, it would be hard to sell the 30, as such that is another reason why I won't buy a card knowing I will need to upgrade it.

So no I can fight back the urge pretty easy, but if something does cross my path at the right price I will pick it up.

James G

rainier2004
06-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I now realize that the set completion isn't going to be the end game, but I now realize that I'm really happy it's not. If it was the end, I guess I'd be "done." Although I didn't really anticipate any yearnings AFTER I had the set, I guess I'm glad they're there, because they're keeping me in the hobby, keeping me looking at Leafs, keeping me looking at the auctions, and in general making me happy.[/QUOTE]

I guess this is where Im at. When i started the set i would not spend more than $5 on a common = some pretty "interesting" commons. But I donty think it would be the same not to look for 34 goudeys to me...on some days i can nearly name every card in the set. I keep telling myself i need to sell my doubles/tripes but i still have 98% of them.
I hear the couple of you on lower grade cards and im there w/ you, but I have had little $$$ my whole life and am the cheapest SOB you'd ever meet. But, I enjoy my cards and have a career now. Its nice to just decide to replace a rookie berra or whatever b/c mine looks like garbage. I actually enjoy looking at my upgrades and my doubles...see this an addiction.