PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Grade Graded Commons

mintacular
06-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Was wondering what the demand for mid-grade graded commons is. You know the psa 4 or 5 '54 Topps commons, etc. that someone erroneously thought were NM and now are stuck in a graded holder. Does anyone buy these cards? If so, what do they tend to go for? I am assuming that PSA Registry guys would avoid them, right? Do raw set collectors buy them and crack them out?

theseeker
06-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Are you kidding me? Of course. I mean who wants a PSA 5 Wally "no neck" Williams on the outside of their '69 Topps set binder looking in? And what kind of depraved mind sends in a '68 Sandy Valdespino only to have it come back a PSA 4? Did you ever hear of the WCG grading company? Well neither did I until someone sent me a 7.0 grade '67 Brooks Robinson in one of their slabs graded 9.0 mint.

Lots of plastic flying in my basement.

Exhibitman
06-25-2011, 11:29 PM
I buy them on the cheap and liberate them from their tombs.

benderbroeth
06-28-2011, 01:49 PM
i do because i can afford them not the high graded ones.

U240robert
07-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Depending on the years, but yea they sell.
I have a dealer buddy helped him sell off a '53 Topps
and '54 Topps set. Most of the commons sold were in the 5 and 6 range, some in the 4. But mid grade commons do sell quite well.
Also it's very common to crack open the cases on mid PSA cards.
If a Mantle comes back a 5 or a 6 then the price is set since so many go by SMR. But if you crack it then the price is more flexible.