PDA

View Full Version : Ebay vs Card Shows

jg8422
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Do you think you get better deals on ebay or shows. In my opinion, I have found that I almost always get a better deal (sometimes much, much better) with ebay if I take my time and wait for auctions to appear. Especially on those auctions that end at strange times.

I usually always attend the Philly Show, the National (when on the east coast, not too often), and a new show that started this year in Oaks, PA. I always end up buying vintage cards at the shows, but then I see them go much cheaper on ebay.

Thoughts?

bobbyw8469
06-24-2011, 05:56 PM
Ebay is 9 times out of 10 cheaper than shows. The main advantage for me for a show vs Ebay is that you can see the cards up close in person with the shows. That usually doesn't justify the bloated prices I see at shows however.

deadballera
06-24-2011, 06:09 PM
cheaper on ebay

But if want to talk pre-war cards....dealers at the shows are usually willing to talk as long as there is time. You can't have this extra service on ebay

That's what makes this forum so great !!

pow323
06-24-2011, 06:15 PM
The only thing bad about Ebay is that there are alot of Shillers that sell on Ebay! AND!! Pepole you would not think that would do such a thing!!!!! :mad:

Robextend
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Definitely Ebay most of the time will have the better deal. But there is still something to be said for being able to walk through aisle after aisle of cardboard and hold the cards in your hand. Sometimes if the $ differnece isn't much, to me it is worth making a card show pickup.

rdixon1208
06-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I love going to shows. I get to see other collectors that I never see otherwise, catch up with a couple of dealers that I know, talking cards, etc.

And you don't always get a better deal on ebay. I bought a nice T206 common in about VG/EX at a show a couple of months ago for $15. I could never get that deal in an auction. I know it's not a big deal, but it was still cool. I usually go around to every modern dealer and ask them if they have any pre war cards. They usually don't know what they have if they do, so if they do happen to have a T206 or something similar, they'll either say $15 or $200...you never know.

06-24-2011, 07:10 PM
...there is still something to be said for being able to walk through aisle after aisle of cardboard and hold the cards in your hand.

+1

I was overwhelmed last year at the National (my first), and am super excited for this year's. It's just mouth-watering to see all of that vintage cardboard.

Jewish-collector
06-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Shows are FANTASTIC, especially the National !!! You can't have dinner with other collectors after the end of the eBay auction as you can after the show.

CowboysGuide
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
I've found better deals on commons at shows, and better deals on stars or high-dollar cards on eBay (with patience). Sellers on eBay want too much for common singles because it's not worth while listing them unless they get a certain amount. You can find decent deals on eBay for lots of commons on the other hand, but again, it takes patience.

bcbgcbrcb
06-24-2011, 08:02 PM
If you are looking for the more mainstream cards (T206, Goudey, etc.), you can probably do okay at shows but the more esoteric you get, it becomes very one-sided towards e-bay.

hangman62
06-24-2011, 08:15 PM
I think if you are willing to wait it out for a card..sometimes months and months..ebay is the way... cards shows..as much as I enjoy wandering and seeing cards in person...the dealers are mostly way to out of line with priceing...sometimes its a joke how bad....they display a beat up 67T Palmer , with a big sticker 50% off.... yes off of NM book..which still makes it overpriced..and when you mention..that card is in Fair..and valued at $4., they say " I cant sell a card for $4."

matthew
06-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Just be thankful if you can go to a show. Try livin' out in the boonies where you drive an hour to the shows that come around once or twice a decade. :(

Bilko G
06-25-2011, 03:30 AM
For the most part, Ebay has the best deals obviously, look at all the competition. Not to mention you have auctions ending every minute of the day basically, so with that you are gonna find great deals.

Saying all that though, there is something about a card show that just can't be beat. Waking up early, to go to a big show is an amazing feeling. Just knowing that you will be in the real life presence of so many great cards and collectibles, that you get to see in-person, beats any images i see on my computer screen. Meeting and chatting with so many people that have the exact same interests as you, also can't be beat.

Going to shows also gives you the satisfaction and instant gratification of getting the card or collectible you pay for right on the spot. No waiting for days or even weeks for the card to show up in the mail. No chance of your item getting stolen, lost or damaged in the mail. Also, especially if you enjoy buying raw because you collect raw cards or you like to get your own cards graded, nothing beats seeing the card in-person, to inspect with your own eyes right in front of you. How many times have you bought a raw card on ebay, that looks pretty nice in the picture/scan, only to see it in-person and it is not nearly as nice as you thought it was? I know i have many, many times.

Great deals can also still be found at shows though. Believe it or not, not everyone sells on ebay, so many times going to a show you will find cards or items that you never or rarely see on ebay. Many dealers might have a high "sticker price" but many dealers will negotiate the prices they have, especially if you are buying high-end items or if you are buying a bunch of items in bulk.

I personally have found at shows, that many great deals ( some even better than Ebay) can be found in the final few hours of a show, especially if you are a big spender or if you flash a big roll of cash in front of the dealers face, so that they know you are a serious buyer and have cash with you. In those final few hours many dealers want to make that "final big sale" or want to increase their revenue from the show and will give great deals. Many dealers that don't use ebay, know that this will be their last shot at making some sales until the next big show, which could be many months away and will give rock bottom prices. Sometimes it is easy to get good deals at shows simply by being friendly, polite and asking!!! The worst that any dealer can say to you is "no".

jg8422
06-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Great response....I agree with everything you said! Especially the feeling you get the day of a big show. It's also great to be surrounded by people who share the same interests as you. Now I am thinking of the nect big show.

mintacular
06-25-2011, 07:53 AM
I find shows are best for set building/picking up commons ($1-5 cards). If you factor in the shipping costs/listing fees (especially now that eBay stores charge .20 per item) these cards are hard to find online for a buck or two anymore. Likewise, being able to flip through a binder and pick out 10 or so cards that I can see with my own eyes is much better than buying a lot on eBay where you will inevitably be sent a couple "sliders" in the group....

In terms of mid-grade stars, I find that eBay is usually the better option. Show dealers tend to want a % of book that is just not the realistic value of that card and so eBay auctions are the way to go.

As for some big cards/high $ stuff I think if you are willing to make a reasonable offer you can get a good card for what you might pay on eBay, so long as you find the right dealer. I think also if dealers start to recognize you over the years they start to give you some better deals...

novakjr
06-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Obviously, for the most part, the best deals are on ebay. However, when it comes to some more obscure, local issues, especially of big names, I believe that shows are where you'll find the best deals. Many times, these issues pop-up on ebay quite sparingly(especially as singles), and due to the rarity/obscurity they're almost always in the stores with high BIN's, rather than auctions..

For example, this past year at the Strongsville show, I picked up the 1948('49? portraits) Satchel Paige from the Indians Autographed Picture Pack for $10. A quick search of ebay brings up complete photo-packs at $250, $200, $99 and one individual Paige at 48.99

BigDan502
06-26-2011, 12:27 AM
+1

I was overwhelmed last year at the National (my first), and am super excited for this year's. It's just mouth-watering to see all of that vintage cardboard.

as cool as the national was, some of the bloated prices on pre war stuff is a turn off and the sh**y dealer attitude which unfortunately i've had to see since i was 5 years old keeps me from wanting to take the trip out this year.