PDA

View Full Version : American Memorabilia files chapter 11

sports-rings
06-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Just wanted to give a heads-up to anyone thinking of bidding or consigning anything to American Memorabilia.

Even though they have an on-going auction (or are preparing for an auction), American Memorabilia has filed for chapter 11.

They have been known the last couple of years as paying their consigners very slowely, if at all.

While they have always sent my winnings in a timely manner, I would suggest that consigning or bidding on their auctions from now on would be foolish.

perezfan
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
+ 1

(but I was convinced of this quite a few years back, when they first started stiffing their consignors).

scgaynor
06-25-2011, 08:01 PM
I didn't even know that they were still around. I thought that they had folded awhile ago. They always seemed like such a professional looking bunch too.....

Actual conversation that took place between myself and former employee Seth Boyd at a Shriners show about 2004

Me (sitting about 30 feet from the entrance): Hey check out that lady standing by the door, that is the ugliest woman I have ever seen in my life (a large person is standing there wearing what looks like a moo-moo, black eye make-up and large hoop earring)
Seth: Dude, that is Victor Moreno from American Memorabilia
Me: That's F##ked Up
Seth: I know, and people actually give him consignments

Leon
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I didn't even know that they were still around. I thought that they had folded awhile ago. They always seemed like such a professional looking bunch too.....

Actual conversation that took place between myself and former employee Seth Boyd at a Shriners show about 2004

Me (sitting about 30 feet from the entrance): Hey check out that lady standing by the door, that is the ugliest woman I have ever seen in my life (a large person is standing there wearing what looks like a moo-moo, black eye make-up and large hoop earring)
Seth: Dude, that is Victor Moreno from American Memorabilia
Me: That's F##ked Up
Seth: I know, and people actually give him consignments

now that's funny. I can visualize that conversation very well.

danc
06-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Scott...he's a musician.

Some people just strive to be the next...

Geoff Tate!

Ryche rules!

drc
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I wear earrings.

scgaynor
06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
While everybody should strive to be the next Geoff Tate (Mindcrime is the best ever!), I would not give Geoff my valuable sports memorabilia!

I am sure that David can get away with large hoop earrings, however, under all circumstances you should leave the moo-moo at home.

Scott

drc
06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, mine aren't large, and I'm more of a blue jeans type of guy.

As far as my earrings go, the only opinions that matter are those from women, not men at baseball card shows.

thecatspajamas
06-26-2011, 09:30 PM

MichaelS
07-27-2012, 01:26 PM
I know this is an old thread, but they still have auctions going.

They currently have a David Beckham game used jersey that I would like to buy. Do they have a good reputation for honest stuff?

Thanks

bobbyw8469
07-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I used to bid on them when I first got into the hobby. I always got my stuff. They did use tape to tape a bat on a Roger Maris hartland I won from them, which I thought was odd. I think it slighly damaged the figure when I removed it. When I read that they started stiffing consignors, I stopped bidding on their auctions.

drc
07-27-2012, 09:53 PM
The answer is do your homework on the stuff you bid on, but I'm sure a good percentage of their stuff is genuine.

I believe their business plan these days is they have big dealers sell stuff through them.

Jay Wolt
07-27-2012, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbUTzOFaNmI

Wymers Auction
07-28-2012, 05:02 AM
That is one strange and scary video!!!

johnmh71
07-28-2012, 06:18 AM

Yikes.

Mr. Zipper
07-28-2012, 07:27 AM
American Memorabilia hanging out with Reggie Jackson's stepmother and step brothers in their apartment. Looks like a candidate for Hoarders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcd19x0qnFo&feature=relmfu

Truly ghastly.