PDA

View Full Version : ID Help -Tris Speaker, The Daily Historic

CowboysGuide
06-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Can anyone help with identifying this card? There are a bunch for sale on eBay right now, and the seller doesn't give any helpful info, nor does he respond to questions. Based on some of the subjects, it's pretty safe to assume these are possible a early-mid 1970's issue, and they look like newspaper clippings.

Date of issue, size, stock, backs?

http://www.thecowboysguide.com/misc/Speaker.jpg

bcbgcbrcb
06-24-2011, 11:26 AM
My guess would be some type of modern fantasy piece.

D. Bergin
06-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I'd wager within the past 5 years fantasy issue. I've been seeing more and more of these in different styles lately, but always with that older newspaper tone look to them.

quinnsryche
06-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a little info. I just purchased a small group of these to fill in players or execs that either don't have cards or are rare/expensive. The size is 2 3/8" H x 1 1/2" W. It's a thin stock with a semi-gloss surface. I would compare it to a playing card in feel and look. I emailed the guy on ebay about the players I needed and he cut a deal off his price. They cost about $4 ea. but were well worth it to fill those impossible holes in my HOF collection. They are definitely NOT standard issue cards, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he made them himself. I attached a front and back scan of the Frank Grant card. All the backs look like that. He also has 2 other designs, one that says Flip Trade Collect on the front (like a T206 size) and an anti-tobbaco back advertisement. All players were not available in all the types. His name is Jeff and goes by oak-vault on ebay. Take it for what it's worth. :)

CowboysGuide
06-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info quinnsryche. I did finally get a response from the seller, and this is what he said;

It's from the Daily Historic set. Newer card. Ornate black design on back, no text. Card stock, much thicker than paper. Neat collectible.

Thanks for showing the back also. There was a Staubach card listed a couple weeks ago, and that's what caught my eye first. I posted it in the football section of this forum but got no responses.