PDA

View Full Version : Negro Leaguers in the HOF - Any More?

quinnsryche
06-23-2011, 04:44 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed previously but I was wondering, will any more Negro Leaguers be inducted into the HOF or is that it? I didn't want to make it a poll, I am more interested in a discussion. Any opinions why yes/no would be interesting along with opinions on who else (if anyone) belongs.
Thanks!

bcbgcbrcb
06-23-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm sure that at some point in the future the HOF will put together another panel to research the matter and make additional selections. I could see it happening in another 5 - 10 years.

Off the top of my head, Dick Redding & John Donaldson come to mind as good future candidates along with Oscar "Heavy" Johnson, Dick Lundy & Alejandro Oms.

novakjr
06-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I think there are a handful of NLers that still deserve to be in. Honestly, the Hall needs to just do one last NL vote. And the voters with the knowledge that "it's now or never" should take their time and get that final vote right. Not that they will though. There's guaranteed to still be a guy or two that deserves to get in that doesn't, but at this point the issue should be put to rest.

Now I know this is not gonna be a popular opinion, but I think they should do the exact same thing with the pre-war guys..One last vote.

bbcard1
06-23-2011, 07:05 AM
Might be a way to slide Minnie Minoso into the Hall. He had an almost Hall of Fame career in the bigs, but also was a star in the NL.

Kenny Cole
06-23-2011, 07:07 AM
In addition to those already mentioned, Nip Winters, Grant Johnson, and John Beckwith come to mind as guys who should be considered.

nebboy
06-23-2011, 08:13 AM
My vote would go to Buck O'Neil -

Player, coach Negro league and he was named the first black coach in the major leagues, scout, also his efforts with the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.
O'Neil was a member of HOF Veterans Committee helped get Negro league players into the hall for years. Awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom and have awards named after him.
He had fallen short in the Hall of Fame vote in 2006, but I would like see Buck get another chance to be voted on for his lifetime given to the game of baseball.

He will always have a fan in me!!! John

judsonhamlin
06-23-2011, 06:38 PM
How about Spotswood Poles? And, are there any known cards of Poles?

mannybb24
06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm with Phil and John with Lundy, Oms and Buck O'Neil.
I'd throw in Dobie Moore but many would argue that he did not have a long enough career. But damn, could he rake!! Too bad his girlfriend had to shoot him.:o

Here's my latest pick up:
A real toughie of Buck--not going to find this one very often, especially with the cream borders still intact and no back damage.

triwak
06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
I would respectfully disagree with the "one last vote" opinion stated earlier. While I agree that eventually any group or era of players will be exhausted of HOF qualifiers, my question would be: Why not let that happen naturally? You just never know how future events might effect historical judgment. Best example of that, is how the current awareness of the steroid scandal has opened eyes on the true value of earlier players who, achieved less gaudy numbers, but did so cleanly. I think the best thing the Hall has done in recent years, with all the voting rule changes, has been to open up the eligibility of ALL players from the past, as long as they played the minimum 10 years (in the majors, Negro Leagues, or combined).

bcbgcbrcb
06-24-2011, 04:25 AM
I agree with Ken on this one.

novakjr
06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
In a way I agree with you Ken. The main point of emphasis in my statement was "the voters with the knowledge that it's now or never, should take their time and get that final vote right. Not that they will though." At it's core I like the thought of one last vote, BUT I agree that they will NOT get it right, and because of that fact, they probably shouldn't do it.

Also, as a collector, I like the idea of potential HOFers still floating around out there amongst the old timers. I think the speculation is good for the hobby, and new(old) hall of famers can often spark new interest in the pre-war/negro league market..

triwak
06-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I'm always kinda excited for the Veterans Committee elections. Sometimes a little nervous too! ($$$) :)

aljurgela
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I think that most of the names on the list are solid and I would not have many to add. I think that it is clear that Buck O'Neil will get in for contributions to the game, not as a player, which I think is right. Wish it would have happened while he could enjoy it.

Anyway, the next question is how to handicap the possibilities of the players who are "on the edge". For instance, John Donaldson will have a much higher probability than Nip Winters, in my opinion. Dick Lundy will have a better shot than Dobie Moore.

Maybe an interesting analysis would be to try and measure who is outside of the HOF in a quantitative way... Courrier poll, E/W all star games, other opinions and see what show up. Sounds like a fun project for a raining day. I will take a look at this and maybe post something in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if the data from the Negro League Committee was released to SABR as rumored? I have not seen that data.

novakjr
06-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I'm always kinda excited for the Veterans Committee elections. Sometimes a little nervous too! ($$$) :)

I always like the thought of cards of players who are treated as semi-stars or sometimes commons, suddenly bringing in low end Hall of Fame prices. I definitely enjoy seeing t206 players, hell any player, come up on the pre-43 ballot.