PDA

View Full Version : OH MY ..... another ebay situation ...

mybuddyinc
06-22-2011, 03:07 PM
OK ….............. I won the following Buy-It-Now lot of 66 T206 cards for $800. I figured I was taking a chance because: 1 – The seller seems to just be selling pure garage sale garbage; 2 – They are glued to cardboard. I decided to make the purchase, trusting he had the cards, and for $12/card, even if I butchered soaking them, I could get most of my money back (of course, if I could soak them cleanly, then some money could be made).

Here is link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180681492041&si=eS1kg2atvkhRn%252BauTJgsAlvya1Q%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

So I paypal right away, and am quite happy with my decision.

BUT ….. Then I get a “sob- story” email from the seller. I'm not going to post it (I know it's against our rules --- Hi Leon:)). But I got the “I'm selling them for my mother --- originally listed them at $2000, then $1500, then $1000, then $800 without her permission” etc. etc. He refunds my paypal (it hasn't reached my bank, so I'll wait on that before anything else). He wants me to agree to cancel the transaction, so he can relist them as an auction (oh, and graciously said I could bid !!).

My gut reaction is to re-send the $800 (once it gets back into my bank), with a memo stating I expect the cards “as-is” by priority mail (as stated in the listing). My second gut reaction is to be a nice guy sap and let it go.

Thoughts ???????? Comments ?????????

06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Just let it go. You'll never regret it.

vintagetoppsguy
06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Even if you re-send payment, the seller will probably refund again. I would agree to cancel the transaction and bid on the cards when he lists them auction style. Who knows, you may win the lot even cheaper?

Either way, after the acution is over, blast him with a negative for the first transaction (or 2 if you win the auction). You can still leave negative feedback on the first auction even if you agree to cancel the transaction. That's what I would do.

tiger8mush
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah, let it go. and bid less than $800 in the auction to ensure he doesn't shill you :)

atx840
He/She has the cards still so not sure what you can do and I know refunds usually just go back into the account.

I had a similar type situation but the package had already shipped and with some advice from a several great boardmembers guided me in to a win/win for both sides. My seller realized he sold the lot for what he thought was way to cheap and wanted them back. I picked the cards I wanted, he agreed to take the rest back for full price and I sent them back.

Bugsy
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would file with eBay for non-performance and leave honest feedback for the transaction. I certainly wouldn't cancel the transaction...this might not allow you to leave feedback at all, but I'm sure others could answer that. At a minimum, let him pay the final value fees. Good luck!

Chris

deadballera
06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
I would take the refund...and not cancel the transaction.

let him pay the transaction fees.

T206Collector
06-22-2011, 04:39 PM
...you to negotiate with the guy. It is better than just giving up, and it may be more productive than fighting him.

What I'm sure has happened is he got a better offer than yours. The cards may even be on the way to that other person right now. They may even be on their way to Dick Towle's Super Soaker facility.

D. Bergin
06-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Wow, looks like another case of bidder interference after somebody else realized he had lost out on the lot and sent a feeler out to the seller.

Sorry this happened to you.

It was crappy of the seller to do this, but just as crappy of the person who tried to get the item he had just missed out on.

It's like the guy at the show who horns in on the negotiations between a dealer and another buyer/seller, to try and submarine the deal so he can get the item for himself.

Big Ben
06-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Just let it go. You'll never regret it.

+1 (assuming you get your money returned)

Let it go and move on to a better transaction in which the seller wants your business. There are deals out there to be had from honest sellers. jmho

Anthony S.
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Save the scans, particularly with an eye toward the cards with unique creasing patterns that you would recognize. When those cards start appearing on Ebay, you'll have a pretty good idea who weaseled you. Then hire Andy Dick to follow that guy around and pester him for a few days. He's uniquely strange and annoying. The guy will think twice before screwing up another transaction.

Jewish-collector
06-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Drive up to his house in Virginia, knock on the door & sit down with him & his mother & work this out. :D

Ejm1
06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
His mother just consigned the item with coaches corner, it is considered a very rare uncut sheet and priceless.

53Browns
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM
I say no "do-overs'"!!

mybuddyinc
06-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for all who commented. Did what the grand majority advised (and also knew what was right):

My money was refunded, and I accepted cancellation of auction.

No regrets ................ and, more importantly: The Sav. Sand Gnats * won the first half So. Div. of the Sally League ........... AND .......... there's a double-header tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

* The new "Hitless Wonders." League's worst team BA at .243, and worst RBI total at 230 (40 behind second worst) .......... BUT, best team ERA at 3.26.

"Beside injuries, pitching is 90% of baseball." -- Connie Mack

rp12367
06-24-2011, 08:34 PM
No regrets ................ and, more importantly: The Sav. Sand Gnats * won the first half So. Div. of the Sally League ........... AND .......... there's a double-header tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

+1 Wanted to get to tonight's game for the free Champs T-shirt but got stuck at work:(

GO GNATS!!!!

mybuddyinc
07-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Never re-bid, but others sure did ............ Looks like I have $550 worth of "good guy karma" coming my way..... :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180687448878

benderbroeth
07-03-2011, 04:33 PM
wow that really sucks

DJR
07-03-2011, 05:26 PM

benchod
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM
A1 ebayer

Yeah, I really don't understand that feedback from you.
You post here on 6/22 how he reneged on your BIN and than on 7/1 you leave him A1 ebayer !!!!!!
WTF? How many exclamation points do you give to people who don't screw you over?

mybuddyinc
07-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Curious why you left positive feedback?

I don't know .............. just because ........ I guess ........

..................... wasn't feeeling bitter at the time

Brendan
07-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't know .............. just because ........ I guess ........

..................... wasn't feeeling bitter at the time

Nothing wrong with that.

effe
07-04-2011, 05:43 AM
What I don't understand though is why people fund any Ebay transactions with their bank account. In addition to the backup protection you get, most cards also offer cash back as well.

bsuttonosu
07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

Except for the next guy that has to deal with the same thing. The feedback system is there to protect future buyers. If he doesn't give that Negative, the rest of eBay will continue to deal with a dishonest seller unknowingly.

bobbyw8469
07-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree!! The Ebay feedback system has become nothing but a joke. A seller screws you over and you leave glowing feedback. I had a buyer stiff me over a $3,000 sale, and I can't leave negative feedback. And she is still on Ebay bidding up a storm! What a crock!