PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Question

D. Broughman
06-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Picked these up at a garage sale yesterday. Where can I find out which games they were for? Is A game 3 and C game 5? Thanks D.

mcgwirecom
06-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Game A would be game 3 at Detroit (first home game) and game C would be game 5 (the clincher). I'm guessing they must have printed these before knowing whether they would be having 4 or 3 games at home. Which is strange because I thought they just rotated every year back then. Even years would be NL gets 4 games and odd years the AL.

Scott Garner
06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Dynarl,
Both you and Randall are absolutely correct. Games A and C are World Series games 3 and 5 at Detroit.

Randall,
The sequence of games in the World Series was 2-3-2 in the 7 game WS back in the 1980's...

D. Broughman
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the help Randall and Scott. D.

mcgwirecom
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I was just wondering why they used letters when the alternating year method has gone on all the way back to the '20s I think. So there was no doubt that the AL was to host games 3, 4, 5 in 1984. Why print letters on the tickets when they knew what games they were getting years in advance. Unless they were planning on changing it at some point...

Scott Garner
06-20-2011, 06:25 AM
I was just wondering why they used letters when the alternating year method has gone on all the way back to the '20s I think. So there was no doubt that the AL was to host games 3, 4, 5 in 1984. Why print letters on the tickets when they knew what games they were getting years in advance. Unless they were planning on changing it at some point...

Randall,
I'm really not sure why either....

FWIW, I also am not sure what dictated that the AL team would host games 3, 4 and 5. Was it based on the season winning percentage or what criteria? Not sure....

D. Broughman
06-20-2011, 06:39 AM
I thought it strange that they used letters for World Series Tickets but used numbers for the American League Series. Makes you wonder why?

D. Broughman
06-20-2011, 07:07 AM
Peter Ueberroth took over for Bowie Kuhn just before the World Series that year. Do you think he may have had something to do with wanting a change in the format of the games?

D. Broughman
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Did a little more research and found this.

mcgwirecom
06-20-2011, 03:04 PM
OK I found the reason....

As champions of the National League, the Padres had home-field advantage. But had the Chicago Cubs won the NLCS (which appeared likely after the Cubs took a 2–0 lead in the best-of-five series), the Tigers would have gained home-field advantage despite the fact the AL's Baltimore Orioles had it the season before. NBC was contractually obligated to show all midweek series games in prime time, something that would have been impossible at Wrigley Field, since the Cubs' venerable facility lacked lights at the time (they would not install lights until four years later). Had the Cubs advanced to the Series, Detroit would have hosted Games 1, 2, 6 and 7 (on Tuesday and Wednesday nights), while the Cubs would have hosted Games 3, 4 and 5 (on Friday, Saturday and Sunday), with all three games in Chicago starting no later than 1:30 p.m. Central time.

Scott Garner
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
OK I found the reason....

As champions of the National League, the Padres had home-field advantage. But had the Chicago Cubs won the NLCS (which appeared likely after the Cubs took a 2–0 lead in the best-of-five series), the Tigers would have gained home-field advantage despite the fact the AL's Baltimore Orioles had it the season before. NBC was contractually obligated to show all midweek series games in prime time, something that would have been impossible at Wrigley Field, since the Cubs' venerable facility lacked lights at the time (they would not install lights until four years later). Had the Cubs advanced to the Series, Detroit would have hosted Games 1, 2, 6 and 7 (on Tuesday and Wednesday nights), while the Cubs would have hosted Games 3, 4 and 5 (on Friday, Saturday and Sunday), with all three games in Chicago starting no later than 1:30 p.m. Central time.

Great research Randall -thanks!

Oldtix
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Nice job...I had wondered the same about these 1984 Twins phantoms...

http://s915.photobucket.com/albums/ac351/oldtix/Tickets/1984TWINSPHANTOMWORLDSERIESTICKETS.jpg

D. Broughman
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Padres ticket no number.

mcgwirecom
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Those X designations were usually in case of rainouts. The 1980 Phillies issued them also and there are tons of them around.

PWeso81
06-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Very nice! Noticed tix price was $25. I went to ALCS game four at Comerica in 2006 and price was $100. That was for nose bleed...right behind home plate...didn't matter. I was told MLB sets price of ticket. Standing room only was $120 for some reason..