PDA

View Full Version : 1944 Homestead Grays Card (?)

Jason19th
06-19-2011, 07:37 AM
I have this posted on the memorabilia side but I am wondering what the card guys thinks about this recent pickup. its 5X7 made of cardboard and blank backed. I am trying to figure out if it is some sort of newspaper or magazine (or even team) premium and also trying to place where I have seen the image before. Note also the 1944 is a bit of a guess- based on the players it could be anywhere between 41 and 44

jerseygary
06-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I'd bet that it is cut from a larger advertising broadside that the teams used to distribute to advertise upcoming games. Although I don't recall seeing a Grays one with this photograph, it is of a similar layout to one I've seen from other teams like this 1933 Crawfords broadside:http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/jerseygary/lf.jpg A really neat item!

Matt
06-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Gerry that broadside is spectacular!!

jerseygary
06-19-2011, 10:48 AM
The Crawfords poster is not mine! It's a photo I found online somewhere from an auction, forgot which one. Historian Scott Simkus and I are finishing up a small book on the '33 Crawfords and I stumbled upon it while researching photos of the team to use for my illstrations. Wish it was mine cause it is spectacular!

bcbgcbrcb
06-19-2011, 03:15 PM
An original broadside of that magnitude would bring quite a pretty penny these days. Let's see if it pops up in an upcoming Hake's Auction from the Richard Merkin collection.

Matt
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
An original broadside of that magnitude would bring quite a pretty penny these days. Let's see if it pops up in an upcoming Hake's Auction from the Richard Merkin collection.

Sold for $400 IN 2008; would go for a bit more these days...
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=48084&lotNo=44113

bcbgcbrcb
06-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Matt:

I would think that the original broadside would be made out of cardboard. From the scan of that Heritage piece, it appears to be paper/poster material. My guess is that was a reproduction of an original cardboard broadside and, therefore, worth very little money. Even in 2008, the astute Negro League collectors just on Net 54 alone would have certainly paid well into 4-figures for an original broadisde with that type of content and player photos.

Jason19th
06-19-2011, 08:03 PM
thanks for the idea guys _ looking at the piece is clearly could have been cut from a larger broadside

Also if I remember correctly the heritage crawfords poster was either sold as or soon discovered to be a repro