PDA

View Full Version : 1921 American Caramel E121 Series of 80 Welcomes Mr. Tom Rogers

old-baseball
06-18-2011, 08:30 PM
A little over a week ago I was blessed enough to be on ebay at the right time (before any of the couple of other E121 collectors here) and to my suprise found that many cards from both the 1921 E121-80 and 1922 E121-120 sets had just been listed, all in a BIN format. I was away from home at the time and didn't any of my reference material or card lists with me but I was sure of the cards that I didn't have in my collection. Among those listed were several of the tougher pose and NY players that I've shared in a thread last night (E121-8 Jackpot). There was also a card of Tom Rogers that was not in very good shape but I was certain I didn't have it so I bought it. A few days later as I was adding the cards to my tracking spreadsheet, I noticed that he wasn't listed in any of the guides, wasn't mentioned by Lew Lipset in his material and is not included by either PSA nor SGC as a required card for their registry sets. Many of the cards that I shared last night as well as the Rogers card came from the raw large lot of E121 and related cards that just sold in most recent REA auction. I was actually one of the under-bidders on the lot but didn't realize at that point that the card wasn't listed and apparently neither did REA. I'm fairly certain it would have been mentioned.

The card arrived yesterday in the mail and is now in my posession and I've been able to examine it and while it's somewhat fragile there's nothing to lead me to believe that it isn't as real as any of the other caramel cards that I have from the same era. The back is damaged, but it's clearly an series of 80card that can't be anything other than an E121-80 that isn't currently listed as part of the set. After consulting with another E121 collector earlier today (I'll let him identify himself if he wishes), and gaining agreement that it is an E121-80, let's welcome Mr. Rogers to the E121-80 neighborhood!

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=3749

Leon
06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
If this is true this could be what we are speaking about it in the other thread, new discoveries in mainstream sets. I consider E121 fairly mainstream. Congrats.....It will need to be added to checklists if it is affirmatively verified by the checklist sources....

old-baseball
06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Leon that why I put out the thought in the other thread. I was a bit surprised that it got through REA without being identified, but it certainly looks like the real thing to me.

brianp-beme
06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
Congrats Kevin in picking up this card...to me it is a pretty substantial addition to a major set. The other threads I have started about this set were mostly to try to narrow down the group of cards that are on the checklist but not confirmed. Now we need to add a card. If a major set were to add a card it would be the E121 Series of 80 set...the thing is just completely nutty. Thanks for sharing with us.

Brian

Matt
06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
FYI:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=74970

brianp-beme
06-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting the seven year old thread link Matt. Looks like there might be a few more Series of 80 Rogers that have already been welcomed to the neighborhood.

Brian