PDA

View Full Version : Framing Slabbed Autographs?

old13man
06-17-2011, 07:20 AM
I have been trying all over to find frames that would accommodate the thickness of a slab and I have been unsuccessful. I put in the matting and the slab but once I put the backing on the frame just isn't deep enough. Has anyone had any success in framing slabs with matting? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I am at a loss and it seems the only other option would be to get all of them professionally framed.

Thanks,
CJ

mr2686
06-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Although I have not had any slabbed items matted yet, my friend has and I have also had multiple matting plus thicker items like pins etc which do not fit a "normal" frame whether it has it's own backing or is open back. I think what a lot of professional framers do is use a soft paper backing which allows for the extra depth. Lets face it...the backing is mainly to keep the dust out and does not need to be solid. You could probably just have the backing done by a professional shop for pretty cheap. At least it might be worth a look.

mr2686
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
By the way, please attach some of your framed stuff when they're done. I love to look at what other people have done and get ideas for my own stuff.

RichardSimon
06-17-2011, 09:01 AM
One suggestion - take a hammer to the slab, remove autograph and place in frame.

Scott Garner
06-17-2011, 09:46 AM
One suggestion - take a hammer to the slab, remove autograph and place in frame.

I agree!! +1 :)

Fuddjcal
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I think you should slab the whole frame:D...seriously though, a regular plastic protective sleeve works better. You can frame your pics just fine with those.

Maybe use a frame that is a little deeper and just use a thin piece of cardboard or regular brown paper to hold it into place. Glue it if you have to. For that matter, you don't even need a back. The pic is protected. Jam a thumbtack or a sharp object into the frame to hold the slab. You should be able to make it work.
Good Luck

emmygirl
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Hi Charles, the best way to achieve what I think you want is to have the following done. 1. Have a Professional Picture Framer cut a MAT and a FOAM BOARD opening to the exact size of the slabbed piece. They have computerized cutting machines that do this. Each piece will be the same size and the openings will be in the same position. Simply push the slabbed item into the FOAM BOARD opening and it will hold it in place nicely. Then just lay the MAT on top of the FOAM BOARD and place it into a frame of chose that matches the size of the MAT and FOAM BOARD, say 11x14 with your opening size of 8x10. This will create a nice framed piece 11x14 with your slabbed 8x10 autographed photo showing through. My son is a Pro. Picture Framer and has done many nice framed pieces for me. If you or any board members would like his contact info please just e-mail me and I'll send it along. Jim bbcnutty@msn.com

perezfan
06-17-2011, 04:10 PM
You can do it yourself with a sharp blade or scissors too. It takes a lot patience though, and you have to be willing to destroy a few before you get it right. So maybe taking it to a professional would cost about the same in the long-run.

All of the ones you see in this photo were done by me, by hand...

That said, it's lots easier to just slip them in a mylar window and frame them (as suggested above). The depth of the slab adds lots of unnecessary complexity to the process....

emmygirl
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi Charles, sent a couple of examples of my sons framing that he did for me. Not vintage but I am a big fan of Yaz and Junior. Jim

emmygirl
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Here is the Yaz, Jim

tcdyess
06-17-2011, 04:53 PM
Wow.... beautiful!!!!

milkit1
06-18-2011, 10:45 AM
not sure if this is what you meant but I got this frame at a local Jeffrey Alans. With matting it was$75 which isnt too bad. Got two graded cards in it.

travrosty
06-19-2011, 08:12 PM
just bust it out of there, thats what i do. who needs it? slabbing just limits what you can do with the autograph. you already know its real, why do you need the slabbing? don't follow the crowd, be your own man.

i bust open the slabs of every autograph i buy that happens to come in a slab. i did so to a james j jeffries and couldnt be happier, i know its real. someone else paid the 150 to have it authenticated, not me, i didnt waste my money to entomb it and put it in a slab.

Matt
06-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Target used to sell frames (they may still) that fit 4 SGC slabs perfectly. You can dig around on the card forum for some threads with images from a year or two ago.

RichardSimon
06-20-2011, 07:55 PM
just bust it out of there, thats what i do. who needs it? slabbing just limits what you can do with the autograph. you already know its real, why do you need the slabbing? don't follow the crowd, be your own man.

i bust open the slabs of every autograph i buy that happens to come in a slab. i did so to a james j jeffries and couldnt be happier, i know its real. someone else paid the 150 to have it authenticated, not me, i didnt waste my money to entomb it and put it in a slab.

That makes two of us who say crack the slab.
Too many things out there take the fun out of the hobby.
Plastic tombs are one of them.
Let the autograph breath.
Crack it!!

travrosty
06-26-2011, 07:59 PM
free the autographs!