PDA

View Full Version : 1910 Punch Cuban Baseball cards- origination?

Leon
06-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know how the 1910 Punch Cuban Baseball cards were actually issued? I have searched the few, really nice Cuban baseball sites, and while I saw a cigar label from Punch, there is no indication of exactly how they were issued AND what type of pack they might have come in....if they came in a pack at all? Thanks much!!

Leon
06-24-2011, 07:20 AM
With such overwhelming response I figure I will show a Punch pack from the 1905-1910 era. If anyone has any definitive, or hypothetical information concerning how the cards were distributed I would love to hear it. The only thing I could find was a cigar wrapper, unlike this box design, on one site. Collecting the associated packs to our cards is a lot of fun and generally the packs are much scarcer than the cards. I have no idea if a card came in this but it is close to the period of issue of the cards, I am confident of that, since the other 120+ boxes in this group all came from that era..(this is a larger pack than any other I have)..regards

aljurgela
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Leon,

I do not know and have been looking for this answer for quite some time. I do know that the cards came with a back, as issued, but few of those examples still exist. Perhaps some of the board members that own those cards would like to upload a photo for all to see.

There was also an album for this issue that I have not seen, but that I believe has been seen by at least one board member, to my knowledge.

I have seen a "wrapper", but again I am unsure if this included the card.

fkw
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
http://www.cubanball.com/Images/BBCards/CCpre45/Punch/punch.html

the link above has some general info for those interested, there is also a link on the right side of page to an album page and also a group of the Detroit cards.
I believe there are 2 different Cobbs known, one sold last year this time on eBay for about $11K, and one sold for almost $14K in Feb 2011 http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?AuctionItemID=62669

aljurgela
06-24-2011, 04:08 PM
These are the cards that Ryan thinks should have cards and hence they POSSIBLY exist:

http://www.cubanbaseballcards.com/Punch.html

Preece1
06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
The only Negro League card I own is the Mendez with a back. A scan of the card is shown on the Old Cardboard rookie card database.

aljurgela
06-25-2011, 01:15 AM
I know of at least three punch cards that have the back.

ghostmarcelle
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
And I believe there are actually 4 examples known

aljurgela
06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks Matt! Great card.

Truly spectacular.

Leon
06-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Great cards and I guess the mystery remains on how they were issued.....It keeps it fun, not knowing everything.....

arduengo79
06-08-2015, 01:16 AM
And I believe there are actually 4 examples known

Excellent card, beautiful, incredible condition. Right now I have two of these cards for sale on Ebay. (# 4 Luis Padron) & (# 7 EVARISTO PLA) hope to get lucky in selling them. Cecilia.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271894506837?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281715651242?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

aljurgela
11-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Leon....

If you read the back, they infer that they were issued in cigarette packs.

Thanks to Patrick for helping me to cross this one off my list... as with Matt's, you can see the back where (not as clearly as Matt's, it mentions the the cigars):

h2oya311
11-17-2015, 07:27 AM
Leon....

If you read the back, they infer that they were issued in cigarette packs.

Thanks to Patrick for helping me to cross this one off my list... as with Matt's, you can see the back where (not as clearly as Matt's, it mentions the the cigars):

Holy $hit! Awesome card!!! That's one helluva card to cross off the list!

Congrats Al!!

sbfinley
11-17-2015, 07:35 AM
That's amazing.

aljurgela
11-17-2015, 08:59 AM
For clarity, the back says: “Smoking these cigarettes you can collect baseball players and, once acquired (as full set), you can come by Manrique 118 (an address) and you will be given (a prize) of a complete album”

This was quite a common practice in Latin America. I have never seen the aforementioned album, but have seen some alleged photocopied pages.

Thanks for the compliments on the card guys. My blood pressure was elevated when we finalized the transaction. This is now my most valuable card.

canjond
11-17-2015, 09:28 AM
I posted this on the cigarette pack thread a few months ago, but I'm not sure it got a ton of views. In any event, after a few years of searching, I was able to track this down, which I believe may be (is likely to be) associated with the cards. This unopened pack came out of Cuba and has a full 1912 tax stamp. In addition, the "punch" name is offset by quotations - just like the cards. The size of the packaging width is also spot on to that of the cards.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others, including the Cuban experts.

autocentral
11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
I believe they definitely came out of a pack setting. There is an album that exists with these cards as perviously stated. Beautiful cards and extremely scarce especially with the punch back as most were pasted to cardboard.

Checklist in alphabetical order:
-Barry
-Bender
-Cabanas
-Cabrera
-Casey
-Castillo
-Cobb
-Coombs
-Crawford
-Davis
-Derrick
-G. Gonzalez
-V. Gonzalez
-Hartsel
-Hernandez
-Hidalgo
-Hill
-Johnson
-Jones
-Lapp
-Lloyd
-Lord
-Magrinat
-Marzans (Marsans)
-McInnis
-McIntyre
-Mendez
-Molina
-Moran
-Moriarty
-Mullin
-Murphy
-O'Leary
-Padron
-Palomino
-Parpetti
-Pedroso
-Petway
-Pia
-Plank
-Roggers (Royer)
-Sanchez
-Schaefer
-Stanage
-Summers
-Thomas
-Valdes
-Viola
-Willetts

-Nick

felada
11-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Are there known cards for all of the players listed above in the checklist?

autocentral
11-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Are there known cards for all of the players listed above in the checklist?

All those mentioned above have known cards.

Nick

Leon
11-18-2015, 06:52 PM
I posted this on the cigarette pack thread a few months ago, but I'm not sure it got a ton of views. In any event, after a few years of searching, I was able to track this down, which I believe may be (is likely to be) associated with the cards. This unopened pack came out of Cuba and has a full 1912 tax stamp. In addition, the "punch" name is offset by quotations - just like the cards. The size of the packaging width is also spot on to that of the cards.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others, including the Cuban experts.

Neat wrapper Jon!!

Jeffrompa
11-18-2015, 07:49 PM
is there any definitive information for Cuban Tax stamps ?

1880nonsports
11-20-2015, 11:33 AM
fantastic find!

canjond
11-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks Henry and Leon.

Jeff - I'm not aware of a source of Cuban tax stamp info similar to the Springer's Guide for USA stamps for example. The Punch pack I have has a clear 1912 tax stamp (with no overprinting - if they even used overprinting in Cuba).