PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I mark my checklist?

geor952
06-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Am I the only collector out there that accidently buys cards he/she already owns at almost every show they go to or about every 10th online purchase? I often will forget to check off a card I buy at a show and buy 2-3 of the same card I need for a set at the same show:mad:. Man this is frustrating!! Thanks for letting me vent guys, I feel better already.

tothrk
06-15-2011, 08:09 PM
This happens to me constantly. I build high grade raw sets from the 50-60's to pass the time. I'm convinced I can keep track of everything in my head. This is why I've never completed a set but have a disgusting amount of doubles/triples for most of these sets. The closest I came was 1957 topps football. I searched fro quite some time and finally bought the last card I needed, #21 Dave Hanner. I then found out the card I really needed was #114 Don Paul. I never bought that card, out of spite to myself.

Leon
06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
it's happened to almost all of us.....try not to make it a habit :)

timzcardz
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I've only accidentally picked up duplicates at the same show once, er twice.

Last year's National I ended up coming home with 2 Vada Pinson 1958T and 2 Ken Boyer 1958T.

I didn't even realize it until I got home and went to scan them.

novakjr
06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
Picked up a decent sized lot on ebay a while ago for a set I was working on. Assumed it would be all commons, and then went and also bought one of the key cards I needed(still got it pretty cheap). Turns out the card was also in the lot.

I believe that's the only time I've every accidentally bought a double. The only thing worse than accidentally buying a double, is accidentally crossing off a card that you don't have, only to find out a few years after you thought you'd completed a set, that you still need one more card..

quinnsryche
06-16-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm the exact opposite. I am totally anal about keeping lists. If I buy something online, I mark it off before I even get it. Sometimes I think I like getting them more than having them and checking them off is a huge bonus :D

Steve D
06-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I do pretty good at keeping my list of cards updated as I get them. My problem usually comes when I see a card, and think to myself that I know I absolutely do not have the card, and still need it. So when I get the card and go to mark it on my list, I find that I already have one! :mad:

You know, it don't do much good to keep a list, if you don't USE IT!!! :rolleyes:

Steve

geor952
06-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. You guys seem to not make this mistake as much as I do. I keep a computer list and a paper list. I often will mark one, but then forget the other. Who knows, maybe this will be the summer I figure it out?

scmavl
06-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I think I ended up buying SIX of #300 Vic Wertz for my '56 Topps set.

White Borders
06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I am totally anal about keeping lists. If I buy something online, I mark it off before I even get it. Sometimes I think I like getting them more than having them and checking them off is a huge bonus :D

Tony, if you think you're anal, then i'm absolutely obsessive/compulsive. I track my T206 (along with T213-1's and T215-1's) at least four different ways :eek:

(sorry - i keep my prices paid and estimated values super duper top secret, just in case my wife might view this post :D)

glchen
06-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Craig, I like how you organize your cards. I'm super detailed also, so I'll have to think about your way. I use Excel, but still end up w/ dups or missing cards sometimes because I'm often slow to update the inventory with what I've purchased or sold or the grades the cards got from TPG.

White Borders
06-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Craig, I like how you organize your cards. I'm super detailed also, so I'll have to think about your way. I use Excel, but still end up w/ dups or missing cards sometimes because I'm often slow to update the inventory with what I've purchased or sold or the grades the cards got from TPG.

Hey Gary, nice spreadsheet. I find that color codes help me a lot. I use blue for a card I've obtained but has arrived yet. Once I get it, if it's raw I change the color to tan. If it's graded, I change it to orange.

But hit the nail on the head - a checksheet only works if it's kept up to date.

Best Regards and Happy Collecting :)