PDA

View Full Version : 1934 Goudey Set Help

jg8422
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
I am looking to build the '34 set in PSA 5-6 range. Should I go with PSA or SGC? Is one better than the other for pre-war cards? Does one sell for more on the retail end? Will it be easier to complete in PSA b/c they have graded more cards?

I am a novice when it comes to pre-war cards so I am looking to my fellow collectors for some good advice.

Anything extremely important I need to know before starting this set?

Thank you all in advance,

Jeff

scmavl
06-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Great set to collect. I personally think this set looks better in SGC and they are also (around here) considered the more consistent graders, especially for pre-war cards. That being said, if you're looking for resale value, PSA generally sells higher (especially 50's and newer). But if this is for you to keep, I'd go SGC.

jg8422
06-15-2011, 08:58 AM
I generally collect as a collector. So yes, the set would be for me. Will I have a hard time finding all of the cards in SGC? I go prefere their holders and presentation much more than PSA.

Are most pre-war collectors going with SGC now-a-days? I have always heard go with SGC for prewar, PSA post war, and BGS for modern cards.

Leon
06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
As much as I like third party grading and what it has done for the hobby (I think more good than bad), if I were you, I would concentrate more on the cards than the holders they come in. Even raw cards can be great as long as you buy from a trusted source. If you go to sell them in the future then you can think about the slabs. Why not just say "I want to collect a nice '34 set in EX to EX+ condition?" Don't restrict yourself to a TPG. Unless you want to collect plastic then that is my take. You might collect some nice, raw commons to start with. Get them in and handle and smell them :). You can research them on the net but.........There isn't a much better way of getting to know a set than handling them, imo. Good luck in your endeavors.

rainier2004
06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Preach on Leon. This is my second favorite, I have continually upgraded it, and the cards themselves have their own feel, smell and part of the past. There are times that beautiful raw cards go by for far less. About a month ago a received 7-8 commons for less than $10, some $5, that would easily grade 4's or 5's....although this is rare, it happens.

Psa seems to have higher resell per abay/online auctions, while sgc are far nicer looking. i seem to find more psa's through the past 4 yrs. Its a great set....good luck.