PDA

View Full Version : Hammerin Hank

Catalyst1221
06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
April 4, 1974 Hank Aaron tied Babe Ruth's home-run record. My mom happened to be at this game and the other day while cleaning up the house we found the opening day score-book for the Cincinnati Reds without any writing and maybe one small corner crease where Aaron made this accomplishment. I've been unable to find any information on rarity or value. Would this be something to look into for a PSA? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Leon
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
April 4, 1974 Hank Aaron tied Babe Ruth's home-run record. My mom happened to be at this game and the other day while cleaning up the house we found the opening day score-book for the Cincinnati Reds without any writing and maybe one small corner crease where Aaron made this accomplishment. I've been unable to find any information on rarity or value. Would this be something to look into for a PSA? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Not really sure of the question here? PSA generally grades cards, tickets and some other flat items. I have never heard of them grading a score-book so not sure I understand the question? I doubt the score-book has a lot of value itself, but probably a little bit. I would think it would have more sentimental value than anything....

Scott Garner
06-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi Catalyst1221,
Welcome to net54! FWIW, this scorebook is not super rare because it is for an Opening Day game from the 1970's. Additionally, while tying the record is noteworthy, as far as collectibility goes, the 715 HR game in Atlanta is the more important game. My guess, without seeing the scorebook and the actual condition, is that it would have a max value of about $25. I would not recommend that you spend any money to grade the scorebook.

I hope this helps! I look forward to hearing what other net54'ers have to say as well.

Catalyst1221
06-13-2011, 04:00 PM
@ Leon, I must have made a strong assumption that PSA were graders of all types of sports memorabilia. It probably would have been more clear to just say authentication or grading service.

@ Scott, thanks for the welcome.

I've attached a few pictures, hopefully they are pretty clear. The one bottom corner has not some much of a crease as a "wave." The score-card on the inside includes a nice line-up. For Cinci: Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Tony Perez. Hank on Atlanta side. It's interesting that management was under pressure to sit Aaron and push the record at a home game. Even though the Commissioner had him play, maybe there was by some chance he "should" have broken the record 4 days before he hit 715! Never will know.

benderbroeth
06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
cool..here is the funny thing i am listening to bruce springsteen singing "we shall overcome" as i read this lol

anyway i have always liked hank aaron and this is pretty cool!