PDA

View Full Version : Sharks Start Circling...New Member...

molen
06-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Just wanted to say hello to everyone. New member here from Philadelphia. Kind of a reborn collector. Probably like a lot of folks, I started out as a kid, collecting in the late 80's, early 90's. Established a pretty decent collection from that time period. Made the trip to my first national last year in Baltimore and have gotten sucked right back in. I'd been familiar with T206s but never dabbled in them. But after picking up my first couple at the National, I'm hooked. Picked up a few more at the Philly show in March and looking forward to the New Jersey show in Edison tomorrow. Also making the trip back home to Chicago in August for this years' National. Can't wait.

So, call me molen. I'm excited to be a part of this community. I'm always looking to pick up some raw or SGC T206 commons to work on my collection. Also a big Cubs fan, so working on a Santo and Sandberg master set. Thinking about building another vintage set from the 50's or 60's. Maybe the '57 Topps - first year with photos? Any recommendations?

Looking forward to mixing it up and learning a lot from all of you...

53Browns
06-10-2011, 06:42 AM
Welcome Molen! We have a hazing ritual here on the board. You are required to buy a T206 Demmitt St. Louis for the first board member to respond to your very first intro post.

Just kidding! Or am I? Seriously, welcome! Greatest group of guys on the planet here!

Leon
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Just a friendly "welcome aboard". Hope you join in the reindeer games when you feel the urge :). You are among friends.

jbbama
06-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Greetings.......as far as building a set, one of my favs is 1960, it has some beautiful cards in it, i built one several years ago and enjoyed it. Welcome to the boards.

molen
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Definitely excited to be here...

Just a Demmit, eh? Another board I tried to join told me I had to buy a full Southern League T206 set, all with Drum backs. It took too long to take out another mortgage on the house, so I left...

1960 Topps? I'll check that out. Thanks!

bigtrain
06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Welcome Jeff, I will be at the Edison show tomorrow also. You will be able to recognize me as the sad looking old guy hanging his head because he can't afford to buy anything.

rc4157
06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Welcome Jeff - This is the place to be to learn about vintage cards, I mostly read and listen but mostly enjoy seeing some of the great collections the members here have to offer.

RC

novakjr
06-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Welcome aboard. '57 is a great set, easily one of my favorites. Aside from the Topps' first to use photos, it's got one of the best selections of rookie cards. It's a beautifully simple set.

sycks22
06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Welcome Molen. Every day I learn about a new variation or card that I never knew existed. It's amazing how much people know on here.

Ladder7
06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Molen?, I love that water.

Brian Van Horn
06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
What?! No Jaws theme music! No land sharks?! Oh, wait that's me!

Welcome aboard, Jeff.

mintacular
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
For all the vintage I've dabbled in nothing, I mean nothing beats '57 to me. Building/upgrading this set has been my most satisfying collecting experience. My best card from the set:

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/nollpm/1957Brooks.jpg

freakhappy
06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Welcome, Molen! You have no worries about finding new additions for your T206 set. I've been on here since the beginning of the year and I've found over 50 to add to my set. Great place to learn, share, sell and purchase items of your likings!

Good luck!

teetwoohsix
06-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Definitely excited to be here...

Just a Demmit, eh? Another board I tried to join told me I had to buy a full Southern League T206 set, all with Drum backs. It took too long to take out another mortgage on the house, so I left...

1960 Topps? I'll check that out. Thanks!

Good thing you didn't take out that 2nd, you would have never found one (SL with Drum back) :D ;)

Welcome, you will love it here- always nice to see another T206 collector join the board !!!

Sincerely, Clayton

scmavl
06-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Welcome to the boards. '57 is an outstanding set, all it's missing is a Killebrew. I built the '56 Topps set after I joined here.

Not sure if you're into autos/memorabilia, but I got into it after joining and have really enjoyed it. And I've learned SO MUCH!

molen
06-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I did find a SL T206 with a Newport back? Is that authentic? I got a good deal on it... (more sarcasm)

I think the '57 might be my new challenge. We'll see what I stumble on at the Jersey Show tomorrow.

This probably should be a new thread, but what's with "sets" these days? Does anyone follow the new generation stuff or I am among people with the same mindset that things are a little out of control? I picked up some 2010 Bowman just for shits, thought they looked interesting and started checking out the "set" composition...Chrome, Platinum, Draft Picks, Prospects, Refractors, Blue Refractors Auto, on and on...how is anyone supposed to build sets these days? I guess that's why I'm here and long for the old days when a set was a set...

Old man venting is over.

Tom S.
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Great...just what this forum needs is another Cubs fan... :rolleyes:

Seriously, welcome aboard! I have learned so much about vintage collecting from the other members since I began here.

Good luck with your T206 set - are you going to tame the entire Monster, or are you going to just pick up Cubbies?

mrvster
06-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Welcome Jeff!!

this is the place to be......you will see.......i vote stay focused on just t206.....:D

I collect t206 freaks/printer scraps rarer backs when i can locate them;)

The collectors here are the best group of guys on the planet, and hopefully one day i can toast a drink with y'all:)

Peace

Johnny

ls7plus
06-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Great to have you on board, Jeff, and I would heartily echo the sentiment that net54 is a great place to be--the cumulative knowledge these guys have is truly incredible!

Best wishes to all,

Larry

molen
06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Yeah, yeah, another Cubs fan for you all to pick on. Born and raised in Chicago, so it was in my blood. I actually made the trip up to Boston last month to see the Cubs at Fenway. What an amazing experience.

I'm going try and stay focused on T206 Cubs first and then probably move on to the Southern League. Those have really caught my eye. But I won't say no to an deals on commons or rare backs.